Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280334 times)

madmanntis

Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #475 on: 22 September 2009, 23:25:53 »
Hey, too make a model go through things in Glest can't you make it an air unit, but put the model way lower in Blender, would that work..........?

Yeah...ish. But then most ground melee units wouldn't be able to attack him, right? Is it possible to set the unit size to 0, OR set the unit size to 1 and have a cell map with that single cell empty?

I have not tried either of these ideas out, so I have little or no idea as to whether or not they'd ACTUALLY work.  :-\

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #476 on: 22 September 2009, 23:39:08 »
This should be a GAE feature, but since he is wearing real clothing, let's just have him be normal.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

jda

« Reply #477 on: 23 September 2009, 15:09:47 »
Wow, this really seems to be quite the hot topic!  Thanks to everyone for pitching in your ideas. :)

Well, I'm not at all part of GLADE or a modder anything else but... Read what was posted on the Shadow Walker from about page 17 and here are my 2 cents for whomever may want them:
That's fine.  We're making this stuff for the community, so it's always good to hear what the community wants.
Great! Thanks. I'll go on then! ;)

Specially, more than any other unit, even in Dark Magic, the shadow should be Dark, Obscure and Misteriuos!
Agreed.  That's why I proposed having him completely covered in armor and a cloak, so that no one is quite sure what it is, whether it be a human, monster, undead horror, or something else, while still retaining a form similar to a regular human, just enough to be as creepy and scary as possible.  This article outlines the idea quite well.
Great article! Thanks! :)

Matter of fact, the unit might just as well be all solid-black!!! Seriously!... Glest is 3d so you could already see some interesting forms just because of the model itself, even being the texture just solid black! That would really make the unit very shadowy... ;)
But its opaque-shadow (assuming you liked that idea) might also benefit from some dark grey texturing here and there. :)
I still think that it would be very hard to see details if the unit was solid black.  It might work if Glest had better lighting, but as it stands now, this isn't one of its best features in my opinion.
Understood.

2. It is a Walker so it kind os suggests some walking animation... It does not need to show the legs however. It can just show their movement like e.g. the Magic Initiates do.
It should most likely NOT run!
It may not necessarily be a two-legged walk! An humanoid upper-body might perfectly fit something like e.g. crawling multi-arms...
This is kinda where I was going with the "awkward shambling gait", kinda like a zombie or Frankenstein's monster.
Ok, from the top of my head, two options (or three...):
A. One-leg limp: Make one leg (first one to move) take a normal step, then the second leg brings its foot just to the side of the first foot (the standing-still position if you will). Simple enough, I guess, maybe too simple?
B. Two-legged "limp": both legs move the same way, but each step brings the foot just a little bit forth, say the heel just in front of the other foot's tip. Make that a slightly circular motion instead of just throwing the foot in a straight line forth. Bend the upper body slightly to the oposite side of the moving leg. Those three elements combined should look rather good.
C. Mix the two above together: First step brings the heel just in front of the other foot's tip in a slightly circular motion, while the upper body leans slightly to the other side (this is exactly the same as the first in option B but in that one, the second step is just the other leg doing exactly the same). The second step is the second step in option A: bring the second foot side by side with the one that made the first step. I think this would look rather good (very awkwardly ugly actually but that's just the point  :D ).

On another matter, the download is really just so you can look at the models, textures, xmls and stuff, right? I though that although not fully playable yet, you would already be able at least start the game and see what the basic buildings and units look and "feel" like... Doesn't seem to be the case. :(
I thought I remembered it working just fine for me, but then again I might have had to fix some things first.  I don't really remember for sure.
I had some issues with some non-existing files (don't actually remember which now). I did try and create empty ones using the names given by glest but that just made Glest slightly change its error messages... I could probably just delete every reference to all non existing files in the xml's but that would be kind of a bore...  :D

Well, as I'm too daft for anything else, guess I could just look at the xmls and see how the stats and balance look like...  ;D
But I pro'ly won't... As I said before, I'm no modder, I was just curious... ;D
If you have the g3d viewer, you can at least take a look at the models and animations.
I don't have g3d viewer and if I'm not even sure it can be compiled for Linux... :-\
« Last Edit: 23 September 2009, 15:12:56 by jda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #478 on: 23 September 2009, 15:16:14 »
The g3d viewer works fine under WINE. :)
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: 23 September 2009, 15:39:36 »
Yes but you can't minimize it.  :D
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #480 on: 23 September 2009, 15:45:14 »
so.......
If you want another window, you simply click for it, besides if you keep it small then you have access to the Desktop.
It doesn't really affect me at all.
Egypt Remastered!

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #481 on: 23 September 2009, 19:31:18 »
wow jda you described EXACTLY what I had in mind :D
and that is why I owe you a big, smiling, bowing, respectful, grateful THANK-YOU! ! ;D

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: 23 September 2009, 20:50:22 »
so.......
If you want another window, you simply click for it, besides if you keep it small then you have access to the Desktop.
I know I was just saying it doesn't work perfect is all.
It doesn't really affect me at all.
Me ether.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: 23 September 2009, 21:30:21 »
When you said too cartoonish for one of my ideas, I think you weren't interpreting the picture the way I was, I wasn't thinking cartoonish, I though it gave a good general look, it just needed to be made more serious, but the concept was just to show what he could look similar too.
Okay, I get what you're saying.  I think for the sword, it looks really impractical, even if it were on a regular scale.  There's a reason nobody ever made double-bladed swords in the real world.  For the second one, I kinda like the armor on the torso and arms, but the helmet looks like it's trying too hard to be cool and just isn't succeeding.
Hey, too make a model go through things in Glest can't you make it an air unit, but put the model way lower in Blender, would that work..........?
He wouldn't be vulnerable to melee units then.

We want this shadow walker to be scary here right? and possibly WHAT could possibly make it scarier than Gleaming red eyes showing from a totally dark body background (it doesn't necessarily have to be black as such-it could even be dark violet :P)?
I still feel as if that's a little cliche and I'm not sure that glowing eyes would really have that same effect in Glest with the zoomed out camera and such.  Plus, while we can make the eyes much lighter than the rest of the texture and have them stand out by virtue of contrast, we really don't have a way to make them "glow" per se.
well I'd prefer a cape(is that what hangs down the back like what Dracula wears?) , large horns if possible coated with blood  :D ,
dark armor
Now that I'm thinking... I don't like the spiked shoulder idea much now...it could do a lot better with the cape covering his shoulders and back too...
A cape and a cloak are pretty much the same thing.  I think the only difference is that a cloak has a hood.  I think when most gamers see a horned helmet, they immediately think of a) orcs, b) dwarves, or c) vikings (even if that's a false association), none of which really fit this unit.  Plus, I would think anyone wearing heavy armor would want to avoid putting excessive ornamentation on his head, since it would put a lot of weight on his neck.  This is where the shoulder spikes come in, looking wicked and deadly without being too over-the-top.
attack animation:
I'm thinking of the same concept whether he is holding the sword in one or both hands-
not a fast attack but an animations which bellows 'I'M THE BOSS HERE' with every blow - you get the idea?
I think so.  Like the Iron Knuckle monsters is LoZ:OoT (I can hardly believe I didn't think of this comparison before!).  It swings its axe wide and slow, putting all of its weight into it, and it destroys anything that gets in its way.  Video example: here.  I'm thinking of something a little slower than that, though, because the Iron Knuckle actually swings surprisingly fast.

Yeah...ish. But then most ground melee units wouldn't be able to attack him, right?
Right
Is it possible to set the unit size to 0
I think that crashes the game, but I could be wrong.
OR set the unit size to 1 and have a cell map with that single cell empty?
That has the nasty side effect of making the unit impossible to target.  I found this out the hard way when I made a building with a cell map of nothing but zeroes, and my workers couldn't even build it.  They just set the foundation and then stood there looking dumb.  I couldn't destroy the building either.  I think I could select it, though.  As far as I can think of, the only unit that would work properly with a cell map of 0 would be an invisible scouting unit that can't attack.

Ah, shoot!  Class time!  I'll address some more points when I get back.

Mark

« Reply #484 on: 23 September 2009, 21:46:36 »
Okay, I have been gone and have missed some stuff.

I have looked, and none have you have ever considered how he may be a "Walker of Shadows", not a "Shadowy Walker".  The latter is what I intended it to be.  I had considered that, but I didn't like it.  I really don't want him to be all black, or purple, because it closely resembles red.  And, I don't want a knight/paladin!  If the community does, then it will be made, but the community must also be fair in considering all options.  I like the first concept John made, minus the small plating.  How about just have bones?  I was thinking a guy with a breastplate, giant, spiked shoulder armor and a evil looking helmet.  I like the idea of a skull helmet, but what if it had horns on it?  I really am split here.

Is it possible to set the unit size to 0
I think that crashes the game, but I could be wrong.
Ummm, that is what the energy fountain does.  You cannot select the created energy, though.

well I'd prefer a cape(is that what hangs down the back like what Dracula wears?) , large horns if possible coated with blood  :D ,
dark armor
Now that I'm thinking... I don't like the spiked shoulder idea much now...it could do a lot better with the cape covering his shoulders and back too...
A cape and a cloak are pretty much the same thing.  I think the only difference is that a cloak has a hood.  I think when most gamers see a horned helmet, they immediately think of a) orcs, b) dwarves, or c) vikings (even if that's a false association), none of which really fit this unit.  Plus, I would think anyone wearing heavy armor would want to avoid putting excessive ornamentation on his head, since it would put a lot of weight on his neck.  This is where the shoulder spikes come in, looking wicked and deadly without being too over-the-top.
Okay, well, this unit is not efficient.  Really, he is more a undead [sorta] demon/devil's minion that is barely hanging onto his powers.  He is weak as far as his counterpart demons are, but strong to mere mortals.  He is more of a morale (if it ever were implemented) helper.

About the iron knuckles, I like how his weapon sticks in the ground.  That should be in the shadow walker too.

More to come, gotta go!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: 24 September 2009, 04:22:04 »
I have looked, and none have you have ever considered how he may be a "Walker of Shadows", not a "Shadowy Walker".  The latter is what I intended it to be.
I was mostly ignoring the name, since one of my concepts has little to do with shadows and the other doesn't walk.  ;D  After all, unit names on this project has so far proven to be very tentative.
I had considered that, but I didn't like it.  I really don't want him to be all black, or purple, because it closely resembles red.  And, I don't want a knight/paladin!  If the community does, then it will be made, but the community must also be fair in considering all options.  I like the first concept John made, minus the small plating.
Small plating?  Do you mean like around the joints?
How about just have bones?  I was thinking a guy with a breastplate, giant, spiked shoulder armor and a evil looking helmet.  I like the idea of a skull helmet, but what if it had horns on it?  I really am split here.
I don't feel strongly one way or the other about horns.  Personally I'd like to avoid exposing any bones because that would undermine the mystery.  Not knowing what you're up against can be a disconcerting feeling and I'd like to incorporate that.  I haven't watched anime in a long time, but I recall a particular episode of Full Metal Alchemist in which the protagonists are fighting against these hulking armored monstrosities without knowing what they are (humans?  robots?  something entirely different?), and then when they defeat one and look inside the armor, they find it to be empty!  It was an awesomely creepy moment.
Okay, well, this unit is not efficient.  Really, he is more a undead [sorta] demon/devil's minion that is barely hanging onto his powers.  He is weak as far as his counterpart demons are, but strong to mere mortals.  He is more of a morale (if it ever were implemented) helper.
Good.  That's kinda what I was thinking.  Of course a human corrupted/possessed by demons wouldn't be as strong as a real demon, but (according to various accounts of demonic possession) would be really strong and quite vicious compared to regular humans.  I think we're kinda on the same page with the "undead [sorta] demon" part, where the line between "human" and "not human" gets very blurry.
About the iron knuckles, I like how his weapon sticks in the ground.  That should be in the shadow walker too.
This is one of those times when I wish units could use multiple animations for the same action.  Having the weapon stick in the ground every time he swings it would get a little ridiculous, I think.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #486 on: 24 September 2009, 18:14:06 »
If you set the size to 0, it cant be attacked or selected. Only use 0 for invisible 'non-existant' units like resources.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Mark

« Reply #487 on: 25 September 2009, 01:28:20 »
If you set the size to 0, it cant be attacked or selected. Only use 0 for invisible 'non-existant' units like resources.
Yes, like the energy in Dark Magic.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: 25 September 2009, 02:46:03 »
I tried to make it so you can trade wood for gold in a trading post that same way but you get the gold instantly add then the trading post ticks down after.

Mark

« Reply #489 on: 25 September 2009, 02:50:35 »
I tried to make it so you can trade wood for gold in a trading post that same way but you get the gold instantly add then the trading post ticks down after.
I really don't understand what you are saying, but I had no difficulty with this in Dark Magic.  Elaboration, please?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: 25 September 2009, 03:47:54 »
I think that has something to do with the types of resources, i.e. static vs. tech, so I'm 95% sure we can completely disregard it.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: 25 September 2009, 04:30:20 »
You know, Its like yours but it costs 100 wood and -100 gold.
so I'm 95% sure we can completely disregard it.
disregard it? what do you mean?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: 25 September 2009, 05:56:44 »
I mean that your resource trading problem is irrelevant to our situation because it works differently than our energy buying system.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: 25 September 2009, 06:45:23 »
Yes but I can't  :-[ O well.

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #494 on: 25 September 2009, 10:20:25 »
hey what about eliminating both horns and shoulder spikes but give him the sorta graceful look -well you cant call him graceful but you know like a guy that sweeps the ground as if to say 'hey I'm quite well off without the ground too' and I have the PERFECT idea for his walking - have you watched the movie 'Alien vs Predator'? check out how the predator looks and walks - MANY ideas can be gotten

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: 25 September 2009, 18:13:17 »
hey what about eliminating both horns and shoulder spikes but give him the sorta graceful look -well you cant call him graceful but you know like a guy that sweeps the ground as if to say 'hey I'm quite well off without the ground too'
Would you care to elaborate a bit more on that?
and I have the PERFECT idea for his walking - have you watched the movie 'Alien vs Predator'? check out how the predator looks and walks - MANY ideas can be gotten
I couldn't find a good example of what you're talking about on youtube (the predators don't tend to stay out in the open for long) but I'll take a look later and see if I can find what you mean.  It's been way too long since I've watched Predator or AVP for me to actually remember how they walk.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #496 on: 25 September 2009, 21:28:16 »
The reason the trading post didn't work was because you tried to add AND subtract a resource at the same time. Generally, you'll spend all the resources, but won't get the negative valued one until AFTER whatever production going on is done.

This prevents you from getting the energy instantly from the energy source in magic. Notice you spend the POSITIVE resources to build the building, then gain the NEGATIVE resources only once done.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 25 September 2009, 21:36:24 »
I have a tank that prudes gas like your energy and it works fine but the gold one dose not,
probably because you can't use that kind of resorse.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #498 on: 25 September 2009, 22:30:48 »
Dunno. There's a lot of differences though between static and tech resources. As far as I know, the Glest Team never had any plans of making tech resources producable, so never bothered with trying to make it easier.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #499 on: 26 September 2009, 00:34:08 »
Hmmmm.....making tech resources producable could be a GAE feature in the future.................
Egypt Remastered!