Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280338 times)

Mark

Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #500 on: 26 September 2009, 00:36:35 »
Okay, I saw what you guys are saying.  I know that a faction must use tech resources (gold, stone, wood) or the game will crash on a map that has gold stone or wood.  I learned that the hard way. 

Is that what you meant?  And you can make tech resources I think.  Must check.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #501 on: 26 September 2009, 10:21:57 »
Wouldn't it be so much simpler to forget about the complexity of resource types and simply have a separate skill/command such as produce_resource that could produce a resource exactly like it produces a unit, but instead you specify a resource and the amount to give. You can also set a resource requirement that is the cost of getting this resource. By setting the speed of the skill, we can also see it appear to happen either slowly (such as creating energy) or near-instantly (such as trading 100 wood for 100 gold).

Good idea? No? ;)

Of course, GAE has its hands a bit full at the moment to be worrying about petty resources...
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #502 on: 26 September 2009, 18:26:57 »
Is the Gargoyle done?
I have an outdated version of it being a re-skinned version of a magic behemoth - is that it?

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 27 September 2009, 00:46:22 »
Is the Gargoyle done?
No.  To the best of my knowledge, nobody has even started it, although Ayrin said he might.
I have an outdated version of it being a re-skinned version of a magic behemoth - is that it?
No.  Anything you have that is a re-skinned version of anything isn't going to be included in the final release.

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #504 on: 27 September 2009, 08:59:16 »
I see the faction diagram of Dark Magic 6.1 on 1st page...
is the link for download released?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #505 on: 27 September 2009, 12:56:35 »
Click on it. ;D
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

modman

« Reply #506 on: 27 September 2009, 16:25:51 »
Is the Gargoyle done?

Gameboy was working on it...

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 27 September 2009, 21:01:13 »
Okay guys, we've only got a couple more models to do, so if we can just push through it we'll be done soon.  Whoever is doing the Gargoyle, announce it so we don't have more than one person making the same model.  I've got a project to do for one of my classes tonight, but hopefully I can finish texturing the Sheol Temple this week.  Are we okay with basing our units off of (heavily modified) Magitech models, or are we going for all originals here?  I think I can shrink and modify Magic's Behemoth into a Morlock without TOO much trouble...

modman

« Reply #508 on: 27 September 2009, 21:22:01 »
I think Mark is inclined to do something, but he doesn't know how to animate.  But looking at Omega's tutorial, it doesn't look too hard to do.  I'll get on his case about it, but he's busy too.

Mark

« Reply #509 on: 29 September 2009, 02:31:27 »
I think that the accentuation should be on the modification here, John.  I think the morlock should hunch over and curl his limbs up almost, unlike the behemoth.

gameboy

« Reply #510 on: 29 September 2009, 03:31:34 »
i think that would be very easy to do while animating Mark. And I'm sorry I haven't done any work on the Gargoyle, but Ayrin said he would...not seen him on FB for a few days I will try to contact him :)

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: 29 September 2009, 04:52:28 »
It looks like I'm not going to have any time to work on the Sheol Temple's texture until around Friday, so here are the files in case anyone else wants to work on it.

sheol_temple_9_29_09.7z, 355kb, including all .blend, .g3d, .tga, and .xcf files: Mediafire link, Filefront link.

I think that the accentuation should be on the modification here, John.  I think the morlock should hunch over and curl his limbs up almost, unlike the behemoth.
Of course.  I was just going with the Behemoth as a base because it looks less human and it's muscular yet portly.  Also, it seems to be the only model that actually has fingers.
i think that would be very easy to do while animating
Agreed.  What does everybody think of making the Morlock a knuckle-walker?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #512 on: 29 September 2009, 12:24:31 »
A knuckle-walker, no, no, no.
I think of the morlock as an orc-like creature, not a monkey, what do you picture his as?
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: 29 September 2009, 20:31:46 »
A knuckle-walker, no, no, no.
I think of the morlock as an orc-like creature, not a monkey, what do you picture his as?
Well...
Quote from: wikipedia's article on morlocks
Morlocks are humanoid creatures, said to have descended from humans, but by the 8,028th century have evolved into a completely different species, said to be better suited to their subterranean habitat. They are described as "ape-like", because they possess the ability to crawl up walls and monkey-like agility.

Morlocks wear no clothing but are covered with fur. As a result of living underground, they have little or no melanin to protect their skin, and so have become extremely sensitive to light.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RD1wVpJSt_s/Rrd_yNcE6DI/AAAAAAAAAVM/3qJWdv-OLA4/s320/morlock.jpg
http://ddtko.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/morlock-eloi.jpg
http://www.morbidmonster.com/Horrora/Morlock.jpg

They're described as ape-like and subterranean, neither of which suggest an upright posture.  If you and your ancestors all lived in a cave for the past several thousand years, your posture would probably be "ape-like" at best.  I think they should at least charge on their hands and feet, even if they stand and walk in a bipedal fashion.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #514 on: 29 September 2009, 21:32:42 »
I don't agree with evolution, but I see what you mean now, and still I think it should walk kind of like and orc.
Egypt Remastered!

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #515 on: 29 September 2009, 21:53:34 »
john.d.h thank you for posting it on filefront I'll try to give a crack at it - though I'm taking it largely as a sorta' exercise or practice so don't depend on it - you know I don't find time at all and my virus scan turned out clean and still blender is VERY slow ..
but I found out that if immediately after startup I don't start any other program or game then it works kinda better :)

edit: sorry I can't texture, but I made it look a lot cooler but someone unpluged the computer - lost all of it and I quite forgot how I did it! ???
« Last Edit: 29 September 2009, 21:55:56 by Kung Fu Panda »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: 29 September 2009, 22:29:04 »
I don't agree with evolution, but I see what you mean now, and still I think it should walk kind of like and orc.
You don't have to agree with the theory.  This is fantasy. :P

I guess it's up to the concept manager whenever he gets a chance to chime in.  I'm not too picky about it.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #517 on: 30 September 2009, 04:44:52 »
I agree with Modman. If this is fantasy, it should walk properly. Not to mention it would have to be quite small, would need two spaces, or would end up with its head stuck up another units ass (AKA: the units overlap) if it walked on its hands. Seems to make more sense attacking when it walks decently too.

(I don't happen to agree with evolution either)
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: 30 September 2009, 06:35:05 »
If this is fantasy, it should walk properly.
Huh? So if it weren't fantasy, it shouldn't? ???
Not to mention it would have to be quite small, would need two spaces, or would end up with its head stuck up another units ass (AKA: the units overlap) if it walked on its hands.
Ah!  You do have a good point there.  I might be able to get it to work, but maybe not.  Hmm...
(I don't happen to agree with evolution either)
And I don't agree that fire-breathing dragons exist or that the Ornithopter could ever possibly work.  So what? :P

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: 30 September 2009, 07:14:23 »
I don't agree that fire-breathing dragons exist or that the Ornithopter could ever possibly work.  So what? :P
Ornithopters can work and there are some kind of dragons in Africa, they might be breathing fire for all you know.
I herd on slash-dot that some guy made a cannon that launches golf balls, and since it didn't have some part in a gun that makes it fire, It was legal! So if you want to have a cannon on the roof of your car...

BTW: I don't believe in evolution either.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2009, 07:25:17 by ElimiNator »
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: 30 September 2009, 08:17:42 »
Ornithopters can work...
Please show me an ornithopter capable of carrying a person over any real distance.

...and there are some kind of dragons in Africa.
No, there isn't.

BTW: I don't believe in evolution either.
*Face palm*

Lets get this back on topic please  ;)
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #521 on: 30 September 2009, 08:59:22 »
Yes, lets get back on topic!

Here is something to do:
For every building we have, we need construction and destruction models! Everyone who made a building, please create it!

@modman
Which other units are missing yet?
Please give us a list what is still missing and if its already assigned to someone, tell us who has to do what!

@all:
And for all, we should start with playing and balancing dark magic to tech and magic!
I think modman should manage this process. He should start with a new version which should be basically balanced including all units( replace missing ones with other models)! Probably its a good idea to start a new thread here in the forum to discuss the balancing problems!
Please keep the CPU player in mind, he should also be able to play Dark Magic!

When we have this new version, we should also start creating sounds for the existing models/units now!

What about the icons for this faction who will make them? Gameboy the icon god?

We should really try to finish this mod this year and there is still a lot to do!!!
« Last Edit: 30 September 2009, 13:09:36 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

gameboy

« Reply #522 on: 30 September 2009, 12:49:37 »
I thought I made an icon background...I could make the real ones, but i'll do that only when all the models r done. and pls don't call me "god" :P

Mark

« Reply #523 on: 1 October 2009, 02:43:29 »
I think that he should be a knuckle walker.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: 1 October 2009, 04:10:53 »
I'll answer for Modman since he seems to be missing in action (but that's life sometimes...).

The following units are still missing.

Works in progress:
  • Wyvern (assigned to Wciow, looks pretty much done)
  • Gargoyle (Ayrin volunteered for it, no idea if it's started yet or not)
  • Sheol Temple (I started texturing it, but can't finish it now.  Here are the files for someone else to try it: Mediafire link, Filefront link.)

Units that haven't been started (need volunteers!) (click links for concepts):

Construction models: As far as I know, the only building with a construction model is the Sorcery Runes.  All others still need to be made.

Icons: All research icons are done.  Icons for Dark Elder, Dark Mage, Devil Machine, and Sorceress are done.  All others still need to be made.

Sounds: We have some sounds for the Alliyp, Blood Fountain, and Oblivion Portal.  All others still need to be made.
« Last Edit: 1 October 2009, 04:22:54 by John.d.h »

anything