Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280344 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #650 on: 10 November 2009, 10:07:04 »
No, I didn't forget the transparency,as I said it simply didn't work, so I removed it. I left it like this because there is no teamcolor visible from behind. If it looks too funny, we should choose something else :)
« Last Edit: 10 November 2009, 10:54:17 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #651 on: 10 November 2009, 12:37:25 »
I think team color should be spread out lightly over the whole body, instead of focused in one area.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 10 November 2009, 21:57:47 »
We could put some team color on the spikes, like so:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/87/allyp.png
« Last Edit: 12 November 2009, 09:32:39 by John.d.h »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #653 on: 10 November 2009, 22:12:45 »
Yah, but maybe spread it around on the other spikes too.
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 10 November 2009, 22:16:00 »
Will do.

Edit: Gotta brush up on my XHTML for an exam tonight.  I'll finish messing with the texture after I ace that sucker. 8)
« Last Edit: 10 November 2009, 22:20:21 by John.d.h »

Jamin

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: 12 November 2009, 00:30:29 »
bigger is no problem :), I want it bigger too.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: 12 November 2009, 03:58:08 »
Okay, I'm done messing with the Allyp.  I added some team color on the spikes, but just the middle ones, and only on the back.  I tried adding some to the other spikes and it just didn't look very good.  Anyway, I also redid the weight painting, modified the armature a bit, and redid all the animations from scratch, except for the attacking animation, which I only modified a bit.  The death and walking animations look very similar to the old ones, but hopefully mine are an improvement.  If not, it won't break my heart if we end up using the old ones.  I also modified the material to be 95% opaque, because that gives it a bit more of a ghostly/shadowy appearance, but not so much that you'd notice the transparency glitch.

MediaFire link
Filefront link

Attacking: 8 frames, 7 exported, 89kb
Dying: 6 frames, 6 exported, 78kb
Standing: 4 frames, 3 exported, 44kb
Walking: 4 frames, 3 exported, 44kb

Bigger?  I don't have a problem with that.  How much bigger are we talking about?  It's a pretty high-end unit, so we could make him a size two without causing trouble.

@Jamin: Just making sure, but you're okay with us using this under a CC-BY-SA, GPL, or similar license, right?

Jamin

« Reply #658 on: 12 November 2009, 04:40:58 »
CC-BY-NC-SA  :P

But yes, that's fine.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 13 November 2009, 23:34:30 »
@jamin: Is NC (Non Commercial) really needed? Because this doesn't really fit with GPL and a dual license is impossible in this case....

Jamin

« Reply #660 on: 14 November 2009, 00:16:22 »
As long as w/e license you choose doesn't allow it to be used commercially I don't care.. I doubt anyone would steal it to sell nyways.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #661 on: 14 November 2009, 00:35:49 »
Well, you models are spectacular!
A few people might think about stealing them, and certainly, quite a few people would buy!
Egypt Remastered!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 14 November 2009, 00:58:32 »
Well in this case I either will replace the models with my own ones or I stop to supporting this mod :( .
I had so much trouble with licences I don't want to start this game again.
I'm really not interested that anyone uses this stuff commercially, but all those licenses prohibiting one thing or another and the mixup of all these licenses always ends up in something undistributable/ unreusable. Should we release every snippet of this mod with his own license?
Its really really hard to create such a project with a proper license and I'm not willing to change this.

I say we cannot change the whole license because someone made a nice model/texture/sound for it :( .
And I 'm afraid with this license this mod would not be able to be included in the megapack or a future GAE distribution.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 14 November 2009, 01:25:41 »
I generally leave all the licensing stuff up to Titi because he knows so much more about it than I do, but I'd really like to see this situation resolved in a win-win situation, so here goes.  The way I see it, there are basically three options:

1: Keep the content and put everything under the GPL/CC-BY-SA dual-license.  Obviously we would need Jamin to consent to this and he doesn't seem to want to.

2: Ditch these models and make new ones ourselves.  I'd rather not do this because these are really great models and a lot of work has been put into them, both by Jamin and by us.

3: Keep the content, but license it separately.  For example, something like "All models, animations, and textures are copyright of GLADE under GPL/CC-BY-SA, except for Allyp and Harpy, which are copyright of Jamin under CC-BY-NC-SA."  The problem with this is that if we start licensing everything under separate licenses, then it gets very cluttered and harder to tell what can be used for what purposes.  That makes sharing more difficult, which defeats the purpose of free content in the first place.

Option 1 would be by far the best in my opinion, so Jamin, I'd like you to reconsider.

Jamin

« Reply #664 on: 14 November 2009, 23:54:34 »
Option 1.
I don't mind any more.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 15 November 2009, 03:51:55 »
Fantastic.  Your contributions are much appreciated. :)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 15 November 2009, 19:26:47 »
Thank you very very much! I might be strange here, but my hole intention always was to create/or work for something really free and all those license restrictions always try to stop me....

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #667 on: 16 November 2009, 16:52:34 »
I haven't read anything since the 17th page or something. I'm bored. Can I model something? What still needs modeling (a list please, I like to choose).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Loronal

« Reply #668 on: 16 November 2009, 21:23:06 »
yah this mods dead without jamin it hasnt progressed at all

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
GLADE - Dark Magic - new goal/deadline!
« Reply #669 on: 17 November 2009, 02:35:37 »
Okay guys, new goal!  The Gargoyle, Shadow Walker, and Morlock still need to be made completely, the Harpy and Divination Crystal need to be textured, the Sheol Temple and Oblivion Portal textures need to be fixed/replaced, and we need icons and sounds.

If everybody hops to it, we can be done by Christmas.  That's our new official goal.

Leading by example, I'll do my very best to have the Harpy animated this week.

I created a spreadsheet on Google Docs that shows Dark Magic's current progress.  

I'm sharing editing privileges with everyone on the team in order to better keep track of what's been done and what hasn't, so if you're a member or contributor and you want editing privileges, send me your email address over PM and I'll send you an invite on Google Docs.  You have to register with Google if you haven't already, but you use your own email.  You don't need to make a Gmail account.  All you need is to enter your email address and make a password.

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount

Yellow items are WIP, red items haven't been started, orange items are a mystery.  If you know the status of any orange item, fill it in.  If you want to contribute, pick a red item and get to work.  While you're working on an item, keep it marked yellow and put your name in the "current workers" column for the unit you're working on.  When the item is done, fill it in as "done" and mark it white.  The "completion" column is just a quick summary of what items are known to be completed: MTAXSI for Model(s), Texture, Animations, XML, Sounds, Icons.

Any field that is only a dash is something that is not needed, like a model for an upgrade.  Any field marked as "Temp" is an item that has a completed version that's good enough to be used for a release, but should be replaced eventually.

I haven't read anything since the 17th page or something. I'm bored. Can I model something? What still needs modeling (a list please, I like to choose).
You can model the Morlock, Shadow Walker, or the Gargoyle; you can texture the Harpy, Divination Crystal, Sheol Temple, or Oblivion Portal; or you can do icons (stop, move, hold, cancel, build, harvest, attack, any others).
« Last Edit: 17 November 2009, 12:10:12 by John.d.h »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #670 on: 17 November 2009, 12:21:46 »
Dude the Shadow Walker was modeled and animated remember, or did we decide to change it....
Egypt Remastered!

Loronal

« Reply #671 on: 17 November 2009, 22:52:51 »
Yes actually

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 17 November 2009, 23:04:59 »
The Shadow Walker we had was a barely modified version of the Ghost Armor.  This unit deserves much better.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #673 on: 17 November 2009, 23:19:40 »
Who cares how we made the model, it fits the concept well!
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 18 November 2009, 00:39:38 »
How it was made is not my concern.  The fact that it look almost the same as the Ghost Armor is the problem.