Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280348 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #725 on: 1 December 2009, 09:45:49 »
I just judge from the look of this beast, and I like it! These big spikes is something you will see in glest. Its not like the other cool concept arts which are not possible in glest due to the missing detail level and size of the models.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #726 on: 1 December 2009, 12:38:22 »
I was thinking that the Shadow Walker would be a rotten twisted man inside evil armor with lots of spikes and large horns on the helmet, he would have a giant sword or battle axe, and a large cloak which hides some of his wretched body.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

assassin

« Reply #727 on: 1 December 2009, 16:32:23 »
A battle axe would be pretty cool.

gameboy

« Reply #728 on: 1 December 2009, 16:35:13 »
I was thinking the Shadow Walker was, well just that a walking shadow kinda thingy. a shadow, moves quickly, has a fast but weak attack etc.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #729 on: 1 December 2009, 16:46:27 »
I wanted it to be tough and strong, but slow and expensive.
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #730 on: 1 December 2009, 18:38:33 »
I wanted it to be tough and strong, but slow and expensive.
Yes, modman came in the middle of the discussion about it and said it would wield a large weapon (he gave the example of a game character) in a slower than the excample and clumsy way. Hence a tough, strong unit that needs to kind of get his feet well down before he can actually make a strike... a powerful one nonetheless.

And, for hte little I know of the subject, I totally agree with titi:
I just judge from the look of this beast, and I like it! These big spikes is something you will see in glest. Its not like the other cool concept arts which are not possible in glest due to the missing detail level and size of the models.

I guess we could get back to cloaking the darned thing but... I guess we can also make it look more like a former knight starting off from "trappin's" (;))  concept.
« Last Edit: 1 December 2009, 18:41:40 by jda »

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #731 on: 1 December 2009, 19:22:51 »
Glest has limited features and everyone needs to conform to these limits. Glest is a very nice 1974 Volkswagen Bug but it can never be transformed into a 1974 Porsche 911se. Both cars are designed by the same man and both cars share rear engine trans-axle technology but the Bug will never perform to 911se standards.

Its a near impossible feat to code a twisted, vile-shadowknight-necromancer with stealthing/invisibility skills who wears spiked plate type armor and a flowing cape while wielding a gigantic 2hand axe or sword. No one here on the Glest board has the skill set and technical expertise to add the team colors to the specter model designed by the modeler from the star trek gaming board. Who here can model, texture and animate this grand shadow walker concept?.

Glest code will not allow such a thing to function. Agree on a simpler concept and finish the job. Settle for a nice house and forget owning a castle. Get the job done.

Don't get stuck on this.

Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/Glest%20Other/buckethead-tech_scavenger-1.jpg[/img]
A cape, some spikes and an odd worm-drive-saw-arm-hand-thing.
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 10:55:20 by filux »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #732 on: 1 December 2009, 19:48:51 »
What do you mean "code"?

And who said invisibility, he's just going to have a cloak.
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: 1 December 2009, 23:33:01 »
Somehow I think we're dwelling too much on this one unit and it's a bit counterproductive.  I'm happy as long as it looks good, so let's just get it done.
I was thinking the Shadow Walker was, well just that a walking shadow kinda thingy. a shadow, moves quickly, has a fast but weak attack etc.
That would overlap a bit too much with the Imp, which is currently the fast unit.  The Shadow Walker kinda fills the place of the Guard and Ghost Armor.

modman

SOUNDS!
« Reply #734 on: 2 December 2009, 21:57:13 »
If all else fails, we could make it look like trappin's first one with a cap an a body-long sword...Let's make sure it has a Corinthean helmet too or my brother'l freak!

I got a PM from Arch; I'm downloading that and incorporating some other stuff I did privately.  Maybe this weekend?

SOUNDS!

We need to get going on the sounds.  Mark was originally going to do them, but we'll need more help than that.  Men's voices are much needed, so John and Titi will be needed.  If necessary, we can fix higher voices in Audacity to make it deeper, but that usually just sounds crappy.

We also need a woman's voice for the Sorceress!

If any, this is the part we will have trouble on because they are time-consuming and you can tell righ away when they're done poorly.  If done well, you shouldn't really notice them; they should "blend in" well.

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #735 on: 3 December 2009, 00:26:13 »
You may not need voice acting to create the desired sound fx.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_artist

The Foley artist on a film crew is the person who creates many of the natural, everyday sound effects in a film, which are recorded during a session with a recording engineer. Before the session, a project will be cued, with notes kept about what sounds need to be created during the foley session. Often, the project will have a sound supervisor who will dictate what sounds need to be covered in a foley session and what needs to be created by special (audio) effects, which is generally left to the sound designer.

Bone-breaking blow    -    Breaking celery or twisting a head of romaine

Footsteps in snow    -    Squeezing a box of corn starch

Star Trek sliding doors    -    Flare gun plus sneakers squeak

Creative Commons license: Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States

http://www.jack-kincaid.com/deadsville9/
http://www.archive.org/details/HoadsGrim-Prologue-PilotEpisode
http://www.archive.org/details/HoadsGrim-Prologue

The Narrator ....................... Jack Kincaid
Ed Hoad ............................ James Keller
Gary Hoad .......................... James Keller
Detective Broward .................. James Keller
Buffalo Bob ........................ James Keller
Ed Hoad (dark internal voices)...... James Keller
Demon voice #1 ..................... Jack Kincaid
Leprachaun ......................... James Keller
Demon voice #2 ..................... Jack Kincaid
Gibgoblins ......................... James Keller
Henry Boggs ........................ James Keller
Miscellaneous demon doubles ........ Jack Kincaid
VOICES:

The Narrator ....................... Jack Kincaid
Ed Hoad ............................ James Keller
Gary Hoad .......................... James Keller
Detective Broward .................. James Keller
Ed Hoad's dark twin voices.......... James Keller
Misc demon voices .................. Jack Kincaid
Leprachaun ......................... James Keller
Gibgoblins ......................... James Keller
.................................... Jack Kincaid
Henry Boggs ........................ James Keller
"Barbara Hoad"...................... Jane Eastman
"Buffalo Bob" ...................... James Keller
"Ed's Mother" ...................... Jack Kincaid
"Judge Frewin" ..................... Jack Kincaid
"Ed's Father" ...................... Jack Kincaid
« Last Edit: 3 December 2009, 00:36:21 by Trappin »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: 3 December 2009, 03:11:07 »
Mark volunteered to be our foley artist a long time ago and I know he's made a couple sounds so far (I think they were for the portal and the Blood Fountain) as well as the voices for the Allyp, but we've still got a long way to go.  Very few of our units should sound even remotely human, so getting good monster sounds is going to be a challenge.  We've got about five units that should sound human or near-human, so those should be easy enough to do, but as for the rest I'm at a bit of a loss.

Bone-breaking blow    -    Breaking celery or twisting a head of romaine
Footsteps in snow    -    Squeezing a box of corn starch
Star Trek sliding doors    -    Flare gun plus sneakers squeak
Yeah, I've always thought it was interesting how two completely different things can sound a lot alike.  The footstep sounds for the Trandoshans in Republic Commando was made using pineapple slices, and of course there's the old trick of using coconuts to simulate horse hooves.

Creative Commons license: Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States
I'm afraid that's gonna be a no-go.  Attribution is fine, but the other two restrictions kill it.

jda

« Reply #737 on: 3 December 2009, 09:10:33 »
I have a pretty deep voice and when I ear it recorded, it actually sounds utterly strange to me (that's normal for everyone but mine really does sound different!).

I also have some amateur drama experience (between 2001 and 2002 I was almost always rehearsing or playing some university drama group play).

I have a kind of a speech problem though: sibilantism. Say my S and Ch are sometimes mistakeable as well as my J and Z (I actually had a guy tell me he had never understood what I said til he heard me on stage! lol. But that's also because I have a pretty "bodilly" type of voice, I can easily fill a large room with it and it actually sounds clearer that way than in a "one on one" conversation; I also had a few tricks tought to me and including some script-text change to replace words with sibilant letters with synonims which had none or few).
Still, some sibilantism might actually be good for Dark Magic characters! ;D

I can do quite a bit with my voice, so I don't really have the time to make a "voice-portfolio". If you want, just ask me to record and send you any sentence or whatever, together with a brief description (one sentence, a couple adjectives) of the character's voice and speech intention.
Any sound-editing will be up to anyone else, though.

I'm a 33 yo man, BTW. :P

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #738 on: 3 December 2009, 13:15:41 »
My mom's boy-friend has a deep voice, problem is I don't think I have anything good to record with............

Mark hasn't been on for quite a while............sounds aren't that big of a deal, let's just get it over with!
« Last Edit: 3 December 2009, 14:13:49 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

Loronal

« Reply #739 on: 4 December 2009, 17:36:02 »
Yah this is like what madmanntis said "Get all the models and textures done!!! Then get the sounds over with!!!"

modman

« Reply #740 on: 4 December 2009, 22:19:48 »
Actually jda, your speech "problem" might actually sound really cool!  You should do the voices for the Dark Mage, unless you prefer another unit.  For what to say, look at what some of the units in Magic like the Archmage say when you select and command them.  If you want to make up statements too, that's always good.  The key here is to record a lot.

Make sure it is quiet and leave silence at the beginning and end of each recording and that you are not to close to the microphone. ;)

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 6 December 2009, 02:48:37 by John.d.h »

modman

« Reply #742 on: 6 December 2009, 03:38:05 »
The animation looks very good, John. ;D  I like how it spins 360 degrees before attacking. ;)

Is there a place I can download everything completed so far?  I know I'm supposed to be in charge of that, but I'm ... not on top of things.

Arch sent me a link but it doesn't seem to work; maybe it's this "skipscreen" add on for Firefox.  Disabling... :)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #743 on: 6 December 2009, 04:31:34 »
Send that link back to me and I'll try it.
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: 6 December 2009, 05:04:22 »
The spinning one is actually the death animation.  I could do something similar for the attack, but I don't really like the idea of air units meleeing with ground units, because the ground units can't fight back.

Anybody know off-hand how far a flying unit hovers about the ground?  As soon as I figure that out, I can finish up the death animation, and then all I have left is the wind gust attack.

Loronal

« Reply #745 on: 6 December 2009, 08:33:24 »
well approximately not as high as the old tree of life in elves (it maight have been scaled) so take comparison to that (scaled put it exactly under the ground line or if not place a bit higher).

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: 7 December 2009, 02:09:51 »
Uh.... ????

I'll just test it out in the game.

modman

« Reply #747 on: 8 December 2009, 03:05:45 »
Don't worry about testing it because as long as it is high enough, it'll be fine.  There is actually a height variable.

I am strongly in favor of the Harpy attacking ground units.  It would be very cool because it's never been done before.  Also,  think of the alternative: only attacking air, or ground with a particle system.  The Harpy is basically a hawk-woman, and how do hawks catch mice?  With their talons. If it only attack's air, it would be a useless unit until much later in the game unless against other Dark Magic... but... isn't that what balancing is supposed to solve?

Additionally, Archers can attack air units, and so can Battlemages.  By the time you have the Harpy, other factions may also have later game air, like Air Ballistae and extra Summoners.  And if it's a big map against an AI ultra, maybe Archmages and Battlemachines too.

I have to download the Alliyp and Imp and Sheol Temple models and then upload the faction soon with some XML changes.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: 8 December 2009, 03:25:51 »
I'm in favor of the Harpy attacking ground units, but just not with a melee attack.  If a hawk swoops down at you and you've got a baseball bat, you can swing at it.  There's not really a way to simulate that in Glest, though.  Somebody earlier suggested that she have a talon attack for anti-air and a sort of wind gust for anti-ground.  Sound good?

modman

« Reply #749 on: 8 December 2009, 03:32:18 »
Yes, sounds good.

I can't seem to be able to download anything from Mediafire OR FileFront.  It's odd, though, because I downloaded the Sheol Temple from Titi's site perfectly. ???

Mark is in the process of redoing the Divination Crystal.  It will have spikes which impale Daemons as the main feature.  He says the poly count won't be too high.

//Edit:

Downloading fine now.  It was an add-on to the Fox. ;)
« Last Edit: 8 December 2009, 03:35:08 by modman »

anything