Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280314 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #75 on: 24 June 2009, 17:11:18 »
I will try the sourceress, ok?
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

modman

« Reply #76 on: 24 June 2009, 18:54:06 »
Great!  The concept art should be on the first post.  Also, I totally forgot to link to that link you made, John.d.h :-[.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #77 on: 24 June 2009, 21:05:44 »
what do you think about this?
What about it?  It doesn't even have a file extension.

oh sorry, add .mp3 on the end of the file, ok
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

modman

« Reply #78 on: 24 June 2009, 21:34:09 »
The problems are that it is too short and it is from a different game.  Glest is not a copying game filled with pieces from games all around, it is made of original works.  Taking music from other games probably is not even legal.  Sorry, but that soundtrack is not applicable.

Not to mention the fact that it sounds too cartoony for Glest...

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 25 June 2009, 00:23:37 »
Currently modeling the Divination Crystal.  Should be done in a bit.

The problems are that it is too short and it is from a different game.  Glest is not a copying game filled with pieces from games all around, it is made of original works.  Taking music from other games probably is not even legal.  Sorry, but that soundtrack is not applicable.
I agree 100%.

Edit: Here it is, textured and animated, including the *.blend file, the two *.g3d files, and the *.tga, all in one convenient *.7z. :)

For the Idle animation, the crystal bobs up and down, and for the Working animation, the crystal spins around the Y axis.  I'm considering this a "rough draft".  I'd say it's good enough to be usable, but should probably be improved at some point when we have more time, especially the texture.

MediaFire link
Filefront link

« Last Edit: 25 June 2009, 01:38:11 by John.d.h »

Mark

« Reply #80 on: 25 June 2009, 02:20:09 »
Nice model John.d.h. :)  Archmage 101, I'm not sure you understand several aspects of that soundtrack.  It sounds like its from a puzzle game, not from a sorcery faction.  Second, its from zelda, so it would no doubt be infringing on some kind of copyright or licensing.  (titi and many others will attest to that).  And lastly, soundtracks are not necessary now with modmans compilation.  Better luck next time.

John.d.h.-for the divination crystal and laboratory, where will they be in the techtree?  I am beginning to like those ideas, especially the divination crystal, (because it has a good model).  I think that the divination crystal should mainly do upgrades.

Good work everyone!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 25 June 2009, 02:27:07 »
John.d.h.-for the divination crystal and laboratory, where will they be in the techtree?  I am beginning to like those ideas, especially the divination crystal, (because it has a good model).  I think that the divination crystal should mainly do upgrades.
My intention was for the Divination Crystal to take the place of the research building (now occupied by the Oblivion Portal), and the Portal would take the place of the summoning building (now occupied by the Beast Trap).  The laboratory was just an idea; I went with the crystal instead.

modman

« Reply #82 on: 25 June 2009, 02:49:49 »
I like the animation ideas a lot.  I'll post concept art when I find some, but wouldn't it be cool if the crystal part was semitransparent?

How about this:

It would be tuned for Dark Magic if the "sea horse" things were devils, or something.  And since it doesn't have to obey the laws of physics, it doesn't need the ring stand.  And the animations are a go!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 25 June 2009, 04:48:12 »
wouldn't it be cool if the crystal part was semitransparent?
I would do that if I knew how!

Edit: Here's the Dark Mage, fully animated!  Two *.blend files, four *.g3d files, two *.tga textures, all in one *.7z.

The Idle animation is only slightly modified from gAMeboy's original (just fixed some overlap with the cape), where his cape flaps in the wind.  For the Attacking animation, the mage makes a throwing motion like he's pitching a baseball.  For Walking, he does a regular walking motion and his cape moves with the wind.  For Die, he falls backward.

MediaFire link
Filefront link

Edit again: Okay, so Titi has dibs on the Sorceress and I'll do the Blood Fountain tomorrow if I have time, so that leaves us with the Acolyte, God's Bane, Sheol Temple, Sorcery Runes,  Imp, Balrog, Dark Elder, Alliyp, and Devil Machine that still need to be modeled.  We also need a concept for the Acolyte.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2009, 06:04:02 by John.d.h »

gameboy

« Reply #84 on: 25 June 2009, 07:56:28 »
Nice animation, i'm glad thats over with.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 25 June 2009, 15:41:08 »
Is there any thing you want me to make I'm on the Glade team as a modeller.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2009, 19:09:54 by ElimNator »
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Mark

« Reply #86 on: 25 June 2009, 21:16:53 »
wouldn't it be cool if the crystal part was semitransparent?
I would do that if I knew how!

How you do it- i think- is you have the original sphere, and you duplicate it so you have one that is a bit larger, that is like a skin to the larger one.  You take the larger one, and delete some of the faces, and when it is textured, you will have the smaller sphere be team color, and the larger one be some kind of blue and alpha gradient mix (which will make it look shiny too).  But this might not work because i don't know how to model so i can't test it.  Correct me if i am wrong about this.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2009, 01:36:25 by Mark »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 25 June 2009, 21:22:39 »
Is there any thing you want me to make I'm on the Glade team as a modeller.
You could go ahead and do the Sorcery Runes if you want.

Concept: http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/432fd5e5e8845eabfbab2663810510875g.jpg

Feel free to play around with it a little, but the general idea is that there's a big central stone and a bunch of spikes around it, kinda like the ones around the Portal, I think.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 25 June 2009, 23:04:29 »
first screenshots and downloads from the sourcery ( work in progress!!)
And sorry that its in the egypt faction I didn't have setup a dark magic faction yet)

current blend and so on...:
http://www.titusgames.de/darkmagic/sourcery/sourcery.zip

« Last Edit: 25 June 2009, 23:42:24 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 25 June 2009, 23:24:29 »
Good work, Titi!  I'm not too sure about the tattoo on her back, though.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 25 June 2009, 23:39:04 »
its just a gimmick!
You doesn't see it in the game! I'm plannig to only show it when she dies :)
So everybody will look at the death animation and stop the game to see what it is . I really liked this idea I hope you like it too.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 26 June 2009, 00:05:16 »
Here's a WIP of the Blood Fountain.  I just wanted to see if everybody thinks I'm on the right track before I continue.

Edit: Added the second picture.  Here's what it looks like with a dark granite texture.  The spikes are granite and team color.
I'm still not sure if I should keep the spikes at the top bowl like this, or put them on the bottom bowl.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2009, 01:02:49 by John.d.h »

Mark

« Reply #92 on: 26 June 2009, 01:41:26 »
Very nice, John.d.h.  Yes, i think that you should make the spikes on the bottom.

Titi, nice job on the sorceress.  If it wouldn't be too hard, it would be cool if you would add some kind of staff.

Like this:

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 26 June 2009, 04:50:02 »
I'm not sure if I'll have time, but I'll see if I can finish the Blood Fountain tomorrow.  I'll move the spikes down to the bottom bowl and see if that looks better.  Animating the blood should be very challenging, but I think I'm up for it. :)

Here's what I have planned.  For the Idle animation, the spikes will slowly flex in and out like fingers (maybe), the pools of blood will slosh around a little bit, and blood will drip down the sides of the top bowl.  For the Producing animation, the pools of blood will swirl violently and I'm thinking of using tiny "particle" objects to simulate a sort of splashing effect.  Sound good?  Should I do separate animations for each kind of production?  I don't think it would be too much trouble to just make the bigger ones more violent, but having four animations would take up a lot more space than just two, so I want to know if y'all think it would be worthwhile.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 26 June 2009, 08:34:07 »
@modman:
But you want more stuff? I think that's not possible :( .
Maybe a hat but that's all ( but I don't like it, it only looks cool from the front ). We have only low poly models in glest and you will see nothing of these details in the game!
Even the current details like the black bra are not visible in the game. You'll see a black bra, not more!
This is something you should keep in mind when you look for concept art. Lot's of the things that are shown in several pictures are very detailed and fine and let the things look so good and magic. Or they have smoking or glowing or transparency parts as the main effects.
All this is not possible in glests! maybe a little bit transparency, but this doesn't work correctly in units ( but it works perfect in tileset models )
So you will always be disappointed if someone tries to create a glest model according to your concept. The glest engine is our limit, we cannot do something whats not possible there.

But what weapon should she have or how should she fight? This spear or whatever she has in his hand?
What do you think about my idea: bats! When she swings her hand a swarm of bats starts to fade in and flies around her had. Then she throws her hand in the direction of the enemy and the bats fly as projectiles attacking the enemy. This should be possible to make with the glest engine.

@john:
spent some more vertices for the main basin of the blood fontain, it will look much smoother.

modman

« Reply #95 on: 26 June 2009, 20:44:51 »
Actually, I didn't mention adding anything, I believe.  That was my brother, but sometimes we think similarly.  But my brother is more visually oriented, and I am more audio/gameplay oriented.  So I am satisfied with the work you have done! ;D

The bats idea might be a cool idea, but it might be a lot of work, and with limited payoff.  Were you thinking of making the particle proj particle a bat?  That would be feasible.  The attack, I was thinking, could be more dependent on the particle proj instead of being melee.  But I do want to keep this different from Magic; the Summoner resembles the Sorceress in many ways.

I would actually prefer to give the Sorceress a particle proj, though.  I can make it; it will be straight and thin, and maybe green or red.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #96 on: 26 June 2009, 22:56:29 »
wow nice model john

good luck animating the blood
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #97 on: 27 June 2009, 22:01:41 »
You know, for that death machine or what ever it was called, the concept art was kinda lame. When I heard the name, the first thing that came to my mind was the boss in final fantasy IX that you fight in the gargant tunnels when going to the outer continent for the first time. I tried to find a good picture, but google images only gave me really tiny concepts, and no in game screenshots.

(not the best concept, color could be changed to darker feel)

If you've played this game, and remember the monster I'm talking about (proper name is armodullahan), then you'll know how this would make a perfect death machine. It is NOTHING like the concept art posted earlier, but is (in my opinion) far better, even though more difficult to model.

@titi: why should he need to make the fountain rounder? I think it looks good exactly how it is, no modifications.

@modman: a bat particle proj would be really cool, and not too hard. Just shape the model to be somewhat like a bat, it needs no texture, just a black defuse color (this is where the g3d diffuse textures come in handy for a change). Now set the particle proj to spiral and have the bat do lots of small spirals with high frequency, making it appear to flutter. It could be quite amazing! I think it would probably work well (picturing it mentally).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 28 June 2009, 00:00:48 »
For the Blood Fountain, I was actually intending for it to be octagonal instead of round, but I'll try evening it out and see if it looks better.  I've modified it a bit, moving the horns down to the bottom basin, adding four spikes to the top (but they're different from the bottom ones), and modifying the top bowl, but I still need to animate.  Sorry it's taking so long, but I'm out of town for the weekend, so I'll try to finish it when I have some spare time.  I'm also not on my own computer right now, so I don't have any screen shots.

In my opinion, the Sorceress looks fine how she is.  How are the animations coming along?

Regarding deadlines, it really looks like we're not going to be done any time soon.  I'm not going to be doing any work between July 3rd and July 10th when I'm in Colorado, so does July 17th sound like a reasonable deadline to everybody?

You know, for that death machine or what ever it was called, the concept art was kinda lame.
I agree, but it's really hard to tell what your concept even is.  Can you get one that's more clear?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2009, 00:05:52 by John.d.h »

Mark

« Reply #99 on: 28 June 2009, 01:36:54 »
The concept art is definitely lame, but considering how the devil machine is a cheap swarm unit, it needs to be simple.  What you have is a boss from some game, not a weak unit.  July 17 is a hard deadline for me as the foley artist because no one is contributing in the form of concepts or sound files, except a little by john.d.h.  I realize that it is my job to do this, but if i really just pound them out they will have to be the way i like them and because of the lack of help i am recieving, exempt from criticism.  Case in point:  Tell me what you think they should sound like or help me by making some sounds yourself if you have a specific idea.