Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280352 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #750 on: 8 December 2009, 05:32:56 »
Okay, I'll see what I can do.  It's finals week, but I'll try to squeeze that animation in there between exams.

Don't worry about testing it because as long as it is high enough, it'll be fine.  There is actually a height variable.
Well I kinda wanted to make the Harpy hit the ground in the final frame like the owl unit in Woodsmen.  Judging from the G3D viewer, it looks like it falls about six units.

Mark is in the process of redoing the Divination Crystal.  It will have spikes which impale Daemons as the main feature.  He says the poly count won't be too high.
I thought the other version was fine, but I guess it couldn't hurt to have an alternative.
« Last Edit: 8 December 2009, 05:37:50 by John.d.h »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #751 on: 8 December 2009, 18:07:23 »
Ok, I didn't see any 'official' concept that you guys gave for the shadow walker, but I really liked that one that trappin posted. Like Titi said, it would be easily visible in Glest, and isn't too complex. I can give it a fairly large sword as well, though that'll be last.

So that nobody needs to go back and see those concepts again, this is what it looks like:
Code: [Select]
[img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/vShadowWalker.png[/img][img]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/vshadow_mutant_blot.png[/img]
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 10:55:38 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Mark

« Reply #752 on: 9 December 2009, 02:49:51 »
[url=http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2281/shadowwalker.png]New Shadow Walker Model[/url]
Okay, as you can see in the image linked above, I have made a new model of the shadow walker.  It uses what I could make of the discussion (believe me, it was quite confusing), and is not quite done.  For the parts I do have done, I have marked my lines and have applied a texture to the UV area screen-thingy.  I am open to discussions, especially about the helmet, because right now it is just the Ghost Armor’s Corinthian helmet with extruded horns.  I remember a couple images, but if someone could choose the best one... well that would be great. 

Note:  This model is 1002 polies, so if anyone wants to make a suggestion on how to cut it down, please do.

[url=http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/836/view1o.jpg]View 1 (Side view with scale swordsman)[/url]
[url=http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3874/view2c.jpg]View 2 (Back View showing tail and wings)[/url]
[url=http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5652/view3z.jpg]View 3 (Front view with face)[/url]

The three images above show the new Imp model I made.  It is about 8 feet tall if a swordsman is 6, and is long and lanky.  I will add spikes down his back, but only after the community has their say.  BTW I have the seams marked, so I can just unwrap if I get the go-ahead.  What does the community say?

« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 10:56:09 by filux »

jda

« Reply #753 on: 9 December 2009, 17:51:07 »
Actually jda, your speech "problem" might actually sound really cool!  You should do the voices for the Dark Mage, unless you prefer another unit.  For what to say, look at what some of the units in Magic like the Archmage say when you select and command them.  If you want to make up statements too, that's always good.  The key here is to record a lot.

Make sure it is quiet and leave silence at the beginning and end of each recording and that you are not to close to the microphone. ;)
Ok, I'll try and do some recordings for the Dark Mage til the end of the week. I'll then upload and do readjustments if needed before I record the rest. ;)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #754 on: 10 December 2009, 12:21:08 »
Whoever is the boss for the sounds,
give me a list of words or whatever I should say...
Like this:

... Yes
... at your service

and try to find some words which are typical for the unit. Then try to describe me a bit how to say it.( if possible )
for example:

( say it slow and a bit mystical with a deep dark voice: )
The dark Lord orders, I follow .....

or ( say this some kind of fast and hectic ):
yes yes of  course .....
will do it yeah will do it.....
Oh my Lord yes yes instantly...

and if possible try to build in some jokes/fun/sex :). Even the dark guys can say something funny.
for example the sorceress can say
"of course darling ..."
"Batgirl will do it for you ..."
« Last Edit: 10 December 2009, 12:26:20 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: 10 December 2009, 22:45:50 »
Regarding the voices, that's not really my forte, so if anybody wants to toss out some ideas, go for it.

Ok, I didn't see any 'official' concept that you guys gave for the shadow walker, but I really liked that one that trappin posted. Like Titi said, it would be easily visible in Glest, and isn't too complex. I can give it a fairly large sword as well, though that'll be last.
I'm not a huge fan of it, but everybody else seems to love it, so we'll go with it.  I do kinda like the spikes, but giving the whole thing a more armored look would be good.  I like the skull face, so I would like to keep that.

Okay, as you can see in the image linked above, I have made a new model of the shadow walker.  It uses what I could make of the discussion (believe me, it was quite confusing), and is not quite done.  For the parts I do have done, I have marked my lines and have applied a texture to the UV area screen-thingy.  I am open to discussions, especially about the helmet, because right now it is just the Ghost Armor’s Corinthian helmet with extruded horns.  I remember a couple images, but if someone could choose the best one... well that would be great.  

Note:  This model is 1002 polies, so if anyone wants to make a suggestion on how to cut it down, please do.
1002?  Yikes.  That's a bit much, really.

The three images above show the new Imp model I made.  It is about 8 feet tall if a swordsman is 6, and is long and lanky.  I will add spikes down his back, but only after the community has their say.  BTW I have the seams marked, so I can just unwrap if I get the go-ahead.  What does the community say?
Hmm... I think I'd really rather go with Titi's Imp.  It's already textured and animated and ready to go.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2009, 22:47:51 by John.d.h »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #756 on: 11 December 2009, 00:55:57 »
Once, you get all the models done, I'll play a game and give a critique.

I think the Shadow walker should be just what Mark made, but with maybe a bigger cape.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: 11 December 2009, 04:16:11 »
I think the Shadow walker should be just what Mark made, but with maybe a bigger cape.
Ehh... it lacks character.  I'll wait and see what Omega can come up with for us, and then we'll go from there.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #758 on: 11 December 2009, 12:59:54 »
Lacks character?!
That thing is perfect, I imagine it being dark and doesn't like to talk much, and is fierce in battle! That thing has got character! But that little mutant zombie looks kinda stupid to me, I'd think that would be about equal to a daemon, and to stupid to have much character at all.
Egypt Remastered!

Loronal

« Reply #759 on: 11 December 2009, 15:35:07 »
That would fit in will to arcturus by nihilirian

modman

« Reply #760 on: 11 December 2009, 22:11:30 »
The shadowmutant would fit in well to Arcturus, but we don't care about that well.  I personally am 100% for the concept that Mark showed, because we have personally discussed it off of the forums, and it is our compromise.

Personally, the shadow mutant in Omega's post (and originally from before that) looks too much like what the Imp was to look like.  Anyways, the Shadow Walker is supposed to be slow and powerful, sort of like a watered-down Behemoth from Magic.  Obviously it is less powerful than the Behemoth because it is available relatively early, but the Behemoth still encompasses much of the concept I had in mind.  The Shadow Walker is to be paired with the Dark Mage because they go well together.

To compromise with the community, I don't think it would be too horrible if we added the spikes from the shadow mutant to Mark's concept.

For sounds, I'll have to come up with a comprehensive list later.

I wanted to upload last night, but I seem to have misplaced my jump drive...  The version has XML changes and includes all models made so far (to the best of my knowledge).

John, I know you asked this earlier, but I like your Sheol Temple construction model.  The only thing which could be improved is that it could be scaled up to the proper size and the zig-zag in the middle could be "invisible" (gone ;D).

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: 12 December 2009, 02:20:46 »
I personally am 100% for the concept that Mark showed, because we have personally discussed it off of the forums, and it is our compromise.

Personally, the shadow mutant in Omega's post (and originally from before that) looks too much like what the Imp was to look like.  Anyways, the Shadow Walker is supposed to be slow and powerful, sort of like a watered-down Behemoth from Magic.  Obviously it is less powerful than the Behemoth because it is available relatively early, but the Behemoth still encompasses much of the concept I had in mind.  The Shadow Walker is to be paired with the Dark Mage because they go well together.
Isn't it supposed to fit roughly into the same niche as the Guard/Ghost Armor?

To compromise with the community, I don't think it would be too horrible if we added the spikes from the shadow mutant to Mark's concept.
It's already has a few hundred too many polygons.  The last thing we need is to add even more.

I wanted to upload last night, but I seem to have misplaced my jump drive...  The version has XML changes and includes all models made so far (to the best of my knowledge).
If you don't mind, can you keep all the releases within GLADE (i.e. closed to the public) until our Christmas release?  I feel like players don't really notice the improvements when it's only one or two things at a time, so going from 6.3 straight to a final release will be a noticeable improvement.  No big deal either way, but that's just how I feel about it.

John, I know you asked this earlier, but I like your Sheol Temple construction model.
Ah, about time somebody gave me a critique on that.
The only thing which could be improved is that it could be scaled up to the proper size and the zig-zag in the middle could be "invisible" (gone ;D).
I thought it was the proper size already. ??? I guess I'll check and see.  I was going for kinda of an energy thingy with the zig-zag, but I guess it looks more like a ribbon.  If I can't find a way to make it look cool, I'll ditch it.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #762 on: 13 December 2009, 00:32:10 »
What the hell? I just spent all weekend making the shadow walker. I thought I was going to make it?!?

Then again, I suppose armor is how its supposed to be... My version has no armor, and the texture is very rough for the time being, but a blank is included incase anyone wants to retexture it. In game looks better than viewer, and I included the xml with proper speed settings (though no other changes other than making the attack slower and more powerful, changing the armor type to organic (obviously not metal), and slightly decreasing armor to 20 (and slightly increasing HP to offset that). It wields a large golden sword based off of the weapon kit, drags it behind him when he walks because of the immensive weight, then swings it clumsily over its shoulder with ONE HAND in battle. The walking animation is the best I've done yet, and the rest of the animations are much better than some of my past ones too (although the death is short and simple, falling to his knees, then falling forward).

His walking is SLOW, not being a fast unit by any means whatsoever. All animations are done, here's a wireframe picture with statistics below:
[img]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/7552/wireframec.jpg[/img]
Best way to view is to simply copy and paste the contents of the unit folder into the shadow walker's folder. None of the previous files are needed except for the sounds. Testing worked very well. Blend files are included with the download for every animation so that if you don't like any parts, you can change what you want.
Download [url=http://www.filefront.com/15121191/shadow_walker.7z]here[/url] (476 kb)
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 10:57:00 by filux »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: 13 December 2009, 00:35:01 »
Okay guys, the ides of December are upon us so we've got less than two weeks before Christmas.  Time to hit it hard!

What the hell? I just spent all weekend making the shadow walker. I thought I was going to make it?!?
Personally I like your version better than Mark's.  It's lower-poly and it's already textured and animated.  I'll download and check out the animations in a minute.

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #764 on: 13 December 2009, 00:38:26 »
That looks awesome. Nicely done Omega. hah, too cool!

What good is an internet response without a complaint?

die animation -

1)drop the sword
2)then ragdoll/death animation
« Last Edit: 13 December 2009, 00:49:45 by Trappin »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: 13 December 2009, 00:47:56 »
The model seems a little scrawny, the texture has no team color as far as I can tell, and I find the animations to be lacking.  However, I'm not expecting perfection here and overall it's decent, so as soon as the team color problem is fixed, I'll declare it good enough for our Christmas release.  We can always go back and tweak it later.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #766 on: 13 December 2009, 00:48:55 »
Omega, you went ahead and worked on it before a concept could be decided, and we're still not done discussing the concept! So you can't blame any of us.

I would love to help Mark with his Shadow Walker model, Mark's model strikes me as a Shadow Walker, and with some compromises we can have less polies and have it looking good!
Omega's model strikes me as a weird zombie with a two-handled sword, nothing more... It's a good model but doesn't seem to fit in DM!
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: 13 December 2009, 00:50:34 »
Omega's model strikes me as a weird zombie with a two-handled sword, nothing more... It's a good model but doesn't seem to fit in DM!
I'd say it fits in DM way better than the skeleton.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #768 on: 13 December 2009, 00:59:21 »
I'd say Marks model isn't complete yet, but it makes more sense, and fits the original concept better, which I really liked.
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
Dark Magic deadlines
« Reply #769 on: 14 December 2009, 07:33:38 »

!!! 10 DAYS !!!

Goals:

• Have all models done by 12/16
    • Pending - Gargoyle, Morlock, Pain Tower (destruction and construction only!), Sheol Temple (destruction only)
  • Textures by 12/17
    • Pending - Divination Crystal, Gargoyle, Harpy, Morlock, Shadow Walker (needs TC), Sorcery Runes (needs TC)
  • Animations by 12/18
    • Pending - Gargoyle, Morlock, Wyvern
  • Icons by 12/19
    • Pending - I don't know, but it seems like most units still need icons.
  • Voices by 12/20
    • Pending - As far as I know, only the Allyp has voice sounds.
  • Other sounds by 12/21
    • Pending - Everything?
  • XML by 12/23
    • Pending - I have no freaking clue.  Somebody throw me a bone here. ???
  • Compiled, uploaded, and posted to the Glest forum by 11:59pm GMT 12/24 Christmas Eve

I know this seems like it's asking a lot, but we can do this!  Let's all start calling dibs on stuff and get it done!

PS: For the fourth time, will somebody please tell me what's up with the Gods Bane? >:(
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 04:54:46 by John.d.h »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #770 on: 14 December 2009, 12:05:12 »
I guess I'll try to get something done for DM today.
Modeling, animation, you name it I'll do it.
Egypt Remastered!

Loronal

« Reply #771 on: 14 December 2009, 15:19:04 »
call it dark magic instead of dm dm means Dungeon Master reffered to in both dungeons and dragons and NWN 1

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #772 on: 14 December 2009, 15:35:36 »
We call it "DM" not "dm". :D

DM is a Glest mod and were talking about it on the Glest Forums.....really why would we talk about another game. ::)
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: 14 December 2009, 18:31:49 »
I guess I'll try to get something done for DM today.
Modeling, animation, you name it I'll do it.
Okay, can you do construction and destruction for the Pain Tower?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #774 on: 14 December 2009, 18:33:15 »
I'll do at least one of those. :)
Egypt Remastered!

anything