Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280363 times)

Loronal

Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #900 on: 9 February 2010, 02:58:03 »
Does the energy have negatively recharging health

modman

« Reply #901 on: 9 February 2010, 03:23:18 »
Does the energy have negatively recharging health

That is an available idea, which I could consider.  The problem with it, though, is that it would become a pain in the arse if your energy was constantly degenerating.  Also, it means you have to constantly spend resources on attaining energy, which are not returned once the energy unit dies.

Another not-so-annoying thing is that once the energy unit dies, it will count as a death in your statistics.

newb

« Reply #902 on: 13 February 2010, 17:01:28 »
call me a newb but.. I can't find the wyvern!  ???
I checked in game, in the files of the faction and no folder for Wyvern in the units folder..

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: 13 February 2010, 17:32:41 »
We decided the Wyvern should be left out since there are too many units and Dark Magic is already too powerful in the air.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #904 on: 13 February 2010, 17:35:51 »
Besides, Wyvern's aren't evil! :D

I've always wondered why you made this, because Magic is already dark.......... :P
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: 13 February 2010, 21:34:21 »
Besides, Wyvern's aren't evil! :D
Wyverns are often associated with death, starvation, disease, etc.  They may not be evil themselves, but they seem like the kind of creature evil forces would love to have on their side. :P
I've always wondered why you made this, because Magic is already dark.......... :P
Magic isn't really overtly evil.  Destructive, sure, but not necessarily evil.  Some people might think of Tech vs. Magic as good vs. evil, but I think of it as more like order vs. chaos.  Technology is predictable and follows a set of rules (i.e. physics), whereas magic is more of an intangible force, unpredictable and chaotic.  Just my take on things.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #906 on: 13 February 2010, 21:42:40 »
Well, first of all they deal in necromancy, second of all they have a skull on their Mage Tower, and third of all they produce and summon daemons and behemoths.
Any mage(s) that aren't evil, would not have/do any of those three things.

BTW, do you think the GLADE Team was a success or a failure?
I don't really see how you guy(s) are going to get to another project......... :(

Since when wasn't chaos bad, and order good! :D

Magic as 'mages' know it is not chaotic at all, you just don't understand it, not that magic exists or anything..... ::)

Just making some points and responses. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

tiger

• Archmage
  • Don't rush it. Make it with Quality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: 14 February 2010, 01:33:38 »
ok guys finish this up!

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: 14 February 2010, 02:27:25 »
I'm gonna devote some time tomorrow to doing a few improvements to DM and submit them for inclusion then call it a day on this project.

BTW, do you think the GLADE Team was a success or a failure?
I don't really see how you guy(s) are going to get to another project......... :(

I think it has been a success since we have (almost) achieved what we set out to do  :) . I can't really say much for myself since I only contributed one model, but some of the other guys have worked really hard on this.

I think we should continue to a new project and try to keep a tighter rein on deadlines.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: 14 February 2010, 04:21:42 »
I'll TRY to make some time to finish up the Gargoyle animations, and maybe tweak the Harpy a bit.  Is there anything else I was supposed to do that I haven't finished yet?  We just need to call this sucker done already. :P

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #910 on: 14 February 2010, 04:44:05 »
Once you call this done, I'll give this mod a full set of evaluations. :)

Graphics
Details(like armor types and attack types)
Overall

Edit: Amazingly enough as it is the first post is out-of-date. :P
« Last Edit: 14 February 2010, 04:53:24 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #911 on: 14 February 2010, 06:44:04 »
I got inspired and completely redid your idle animation(from scratch) for the Harpy John, if you like it I could do some more work maybe?

Download

BTW, if you do make changes, upload the .blend, texture, g3ds and anything else, I don't want to have to keep combining things to get the latest stuff, anyway it's a small package so it doesn't matter. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

modman

« Reply #912 on: 14 February 2010, 18:32:35 »
Thanks for the reminder Arch.  I've updated the first post now.  The only thing which is not updated is the faction diagram with new images.

Sounds are another thing which will need to be completed at some point.  I will need a variety of voices for that.

Magic isn't really overtly evil.  Destructive, sure, but not necessarily evil.  Some people might think of Tech vs. Magic as good vs. evil, but I think of it as more like order vs. chaos.  Technology is predictable and follows a set of rules (i.e. physics), whereas magic is more of an intangible force, unpredictable and chaotic.  Just my take on things.

I think the whole Tech/Magic thing was an interesting take in medieval Europe.  Some pockets of people literally believed the Devil lived in the forest.  This is actually the irony of the Salem witch trials, because the Puritans were so scared of the evil in the forest, but there was evil all around them (and to be clear, not necessarily in the form of witches) !

The first time I played a real game in Glest, I had my speakers turned way up, and I sent a couple archers into the forest to attack my enemy.  When I neared the Magic base, two Battlemages emerged.  It freaked me out!  The sounds they made were so unnatural.  This, to a lesser extent, is a simulation of what medieval people were afraid of: gatherings in the forest.  Some of these gatherings were called Sabboths]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_of_the_Year]Sabboths (sabbats).  Sabbaths usually involved dancing, singing, and inappropriate sexual conduct.  And they were sometimes also worshiping archaic deities, like Dionysus.  This, by the way, was how the Church declared all of these things evil (sexual promiscuity, dancing in the woods, magic, summoning, etc.)  Remember, though, that forest people weren't the only ones who tried necromancy.  I doubt you would call Jesus evil for breathing life into Lazarus of Bethany.

Anyways, the idea of Dark Magic is that what Magic is for Tech (scary and mysterious), Dark Magic should be this for Magic.  Dark Magic is the evil twin of Magic.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #913 on: 14 February 2010, 19:47:59 »
This is Dark Dark Magic, and original Magic is just a very evil Magic! :D
They're evil twins.
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #914 on: 14 February 2010, 19:49:04 »
That's an interesting take on the Magitech Magic, Sir!

I actually ageed that Magic was evil, not because of the mages, but because of stuff like Daemons (but which are used in the numbers of legions in Linux and I'm so very glad they are! ;D), Ghost Armors (but hey, a ghost is just the spirit of someone who died, right? Maybe they are good spirits...), and Behemoths (maybe they are just grumpy, hey?...)... I never held any prejudice against Dragons though - they were revered for their immense wisdom in China, after all ...

So yeah, I guess Magitech's Magic can be neutral after all. :)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #915 on: 14 February 2010, 19:50:19 »
Magic deals in Necromancy, therefore it is considered evil! :D
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #916 on: 14 February 2010, 19:55:49 »
Necromancy (pronounced /ˈnɛkrɵmænsi/; Greek νεκρομαντεία nekromantía) is a form of magic in which the practitioner seeks to summon "operative spirits" or "spirits of divination", for multiple reasons, from spiritual protection to wisdom. The word necromancy derives from the Greek νεκρός (nekrós), "dead", and μαντεία (manteía), "prophecy".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necromancy

And Linux summons Daemons too!
Just look at your /etc/init.d folder! It's swarmed! :P

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #917 on: 14 February 2010, 20:15:35 »
And Linux summons Daemons too!
Just look at your /etc/init.d folder! It's swarmed! Tongue

There's a difference... ::) :P

To sum it up for you Necromancy is the 'art of death magic'. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

modman

« Reply #918 on: 14 February 2010, 21:32:54 »
Remind me, why is necromancy innately bad again?

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #919 on: 14 February 2010, 22:17:20 »
one little bug... the imp still has an attack range of 2! It bites the air  ::) .
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

modman

« Reply #920 on: 14 February 2010, 22:29:17 »
It's good that you found that.  I neglected to test that...

For the next release, what should we aim at it containing?  I think that all of the placeholders should be gone, and all of the models with animations should be implemented.

Oh, and I'll bother my brother about the Gods Bane models today. ;D

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #921 on: 14 February 2010, 23:29:11 »
Did you look at my new idle animation for the Harpy? :D
Egypt Remastered!

Loronal

« Reply #922 on: 15 February 2010, 21:09:51 »
Necromancy is a half assed work of ressurection which will bring a body to life but not there soul so they can be controlled. Necro meaning death and mancy meaning magic relates to Death Magic. Necromancy was developed by dark paladins that betrayed gods will and lost there full power of life. Using evil powers with there weakened powers of light the created the undead. The undead have the capability to think for themselves and can brake there curse but wont have any memories of who they where. Necromancy is considered a dark art because of its origin but there are many good necromancer through out the worlds books.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #923 on: 15 February 2010, 21:25:20 »
Yes, sometimes Necromancy is used to do good things, but in the case of the Magic faction it's used for evil because they are stealing ghosts(bodies, or whatever.....) to use in combat.
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: 15 February 2010, 22:14:47 »
This to me will never get done, you say by Christmas no too short, in 1 more month no also too short, a year.... Possibly...
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

anything