Author Topic: Faction: Northlands' barbarians  (Read 3428 times)

Darkholme

Faction: Northlands' barbarians
« on: 19 June 2009, 22:10:20 »
So - I'm pretty excited about this modding thing and started sketching a new faction. I REALLY, REALLY hope not to post much stuff until 21th of July, when I've got my final exam, because that would mean I'm not studying much.

As for the faction: it will be heavily based on different sources, from generic myths to books like The Dark Elf or Death Gate Cycle and other games, like Blizzard's or warhammer. The tech tree as of now:

Yup, it's still very green. Also, * stands for names not decided yet, [M] for melee units and [R] for ranged units. Used the same box colours as modman's dark magic.

I'm still working on the concept art (I draw like a 5 yo  ;D) and background story, and it will probably take some time. Moreover, I have never done any 3D models, textures or xml but I plan to learn on the way  ;D

To be completed, with full descriptions and concept art:

Main Building

m. Slave
Can build, repair and get resources. Cannot attack. Will run if attacked.

Slasher
Cannot move further than a certain radius from the main building. Only one can be had per main building. Can use his/her whip to attack (melee) enemy units. His (her? not decided yet) purpose will be to hasten the slaves. A good patrolling path should be given so he can whip most workers. Seems like most of this stuff can only be done using GAE, right?

Academy
Requires: Main Building

f. Assassin

m. Warrior

m. Lancer
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009, 00:07:37 by Darkholme »

Mark

Re: Faction: Northlands' barbarians
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2009, 23:38:02 »
Welcome Aboard Darkholme!

You said that you planned on learning how to do XML, textures and modeling on the way.  XML is very easy to learn (It only took me 3 weeks of attempting to get some successful coding).  Textures are not as easy to learn, so i recommend starting with paint.net, or if you are already competent with other programs that can open TGAs, you can learn everything from tutorials.  Modeling, IDK, because i am still confused on how to even apply a texture, or anything else to do with modeling as well. 

For help with naming things, here are some names: (buildings in italics are ones i recommend)
Main Building: Castle, Keep, Palace, Citadel, Fortress, Stronghold, House,
Bestiary: Good name, i like it
Sanctuary:  Church, Cathedral,
Armory: I like it

I am going to try not to critique your ideas too much due to the fact that i have not read those books or played those games.  If you plan to get help on this, then i would suggest that you post concept art and descriptions of each unit, and many people are busy with the GLADE team project.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 23:39:46 by Mark »

Darkholme

« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2009, 00:01:32 »
Welcome Aboard Darkholme!
Thanks  ;D

You said that you planned on learning how to do XML, textures and modeling on the way.  XML is very easy to learn (It only took me 3 weeks of attempting to get some successful coding).  Textures are not as easy to learn, so i recommend starting with paint.net, or if you are already competent with other programs that can open TGAs, you can learn everything from tutorials.  Modeling, IDK, because i am still confused on how to even apply a texture, or anything else to do with modeling as well.
Thanks again :) I've been playing with photoshop for some time now so I'll stick with it. Still, there are so many new things to learn :P

For help with naming things, here are some names: (buildings in italics are ones i recommend)
Main Building: Castle, Keep, Palace, Citadel, Fortress, Stronghold, House,
Sanctuary:  Church, Cathedral
I really like the Citadel one :)

I am going to try not to critique your ideas too much due to the fact that i have not read those books or played those games.  If you plan to get help on this, then i would suggest that you post concept art and descriptions of each unit, and many people are busy with the GLADE team project.
I just said that to make clear that it will not be 100% original, but based on several works. Any critique is welcome (in fact that's why I made this post  ;)) even if it's to say you don't like it. But please, say why you don't  :P

I'll try to keep the threat updated but as I said, I'll be a bit busy until 21-22th of july  :P
« Last Edit: 20 June 2009, 10:40:51 by Darkholme »

modman

« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2009, 01:18:44 »
I think I like your system of showing factions!  Sorry, but I don't think I will be as much involved as I want to be in this, because I am part of the GLADE Team.

Mark

« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2009, 01:39:12 »
I really like the Citadel one :)

Yeah, i was hoping you would like that one: here are some pictures:

sophisticated, and yet somehow barbaric, but not exactly what i'm thinking. :-\

sinister, but maybe overtly so. :(  Kind of looks like it could go in Dark Magic.

not enough detail, but i kind of like it.  :-\
« Last Edit: 22 June 2009, 21:28:12 by Mark »

modman

« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2009, 19:13:24 »
Hey I like the second one!  Maybe (I'll have to discuss this) we could use it for Dark Magic somehow...  Anyways, all those screens are good, but the first looks kind of dwarven.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 June 2009, 20:36:08 »
If I'm not mistaken, the first one is the wizards' stronghold in Might and Magic 7 (or was it the entrance to Mount Nihon?), but it does look very fitting for a barbarian fortress.

Mark

« Reply #7 on: 22 June 2009, 21:29:55 »
Oh, well if it is from a game already, we shouldn't use that concept, but maybe if we tweaked it a bit :-\

anything