Author Topic: How do i get the .g3d Export script to work?  (Read 2361 times)

Dor

How do i get the .g3d Export script to work?
« on: 27 June 2009, 22:15:21 »
After much fuss, i finally installed the Exporter script in blender.
But for some reason, nothing works when i try to export it!
Could somebody please give me a few tips on how to get it working?

Dor

Re: How do i get the .g3d Export script to work?
« Reply #1 on: 27 June 2009, 22:44:25 »
Yeah, whenever i try to export (i followed titi's video exactly) it says "Python script error: Check Console"

Hectate

« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2009, 22:55:49 »
Two things.

1. Check the console as it says to.  It took me a bit to figure out, but the console is the "other" window that blender opens up and runs in the background. All the text and stuff like a DOS window is the console. Try an export and if it fails, scroll up through the console to see if there are any error messages or what it tells you.

2. for some reason the version of the export script that I got had an invalid character in it. Since the line and character were commented out (I believe it was just credit to somebody else for developing some part of the script), I went ahead and deleted the offending character. It's worked fine since then (except when I make a mistake  :) ) If it is this, the console will say something like "invalid character: line 160" or something. Find that line (or just try a search in notepad even) in the script file.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2009, 23:51:28 »
Yeah, there's an invalid character in one of the comments, so you just need to open up the script and remove it.  See the following thread for a quick and easy fix:

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=3811.msg24861#msg24861

Dor

« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2009, 02:21:52 »
Yeah, there was an error on line 169.
the line of code is:

import subprocess, os

Is there anything that should be changed?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2009, 06:24:59 »
Meh, this is why I use the ORIGINAL export script. When combined with batch files to make running the converters easy, it is quite fast, and after spending so much time modeling, I don't mind a few seconds to convert (I can export, change the file names with Replace, and convert it using a batch file in less than 30 seconds). Not to mention flawless exporting. Of course, sometime I guess I'll catch up with reality and give this a go, but for now, I have no reason to leave the comfort of my good ol' antiques!  ;D
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

anything