Author Topic: Compiling Glest 3.2.2 Source  (Read 7455 times)

Evanator

Re: Compiling Glest 3.2.2 Source
« Reply #25 on: 12 August 2009, 10:31:47 »
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, well there is obviously a way to run something with command prompt if that's what you're on about but I'd prefer to know if the Glest engine is capable of having another tech tree (eg: Glest_3.2.2/tech/-tech name instead of magitech-) and other resources because as I said the game runs perfectly while the faction I made is in the magitech folder and is using the magitech resources.

Evanator

« Reply #26 on: 12 August 2009, 11:19:05 »
anyway if sum1 can tell me exactly how i should go about making a new tech tree from scratch or why that error occurs it would be fantastic. OFF THAT SUBJECT; is there any way for my units to have a single attack that uses 2 particle effects at the same time? For instance; a vehicle with two turrets that fire their own individual bullets. I've tried everything but the closest I've come is getting the turrets to fire with seperate commands and with 2 different skills! I'd like to ideally get all turrets to fire at once using the same skill and command (meaning the skill and commands in the XML file for that unit). Any help would be great.

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 August 2009, 13:24:52 »
I just ran your XML through GAE and Glest 3.2.2 without problems. All I changed was the image paths, duplicated a technician and called it engineer and created a static 'power' resource for it.

I'd say double and triple check your paths, if you're sure they're correct, I'd love to take at look at the XML for the entire tech-tree.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: 13 August 2009, 07:38:35 »
I'm afraid there is currently no way to have multiple particle projectiles. It has been asked before, and is a requested feature for GAE, but then again, there's a lot of requested features, and very few coders, both who have lives too (I think  ;D).

Since you can only target one unit at a time, why not try the double modeling aproach? If we have two cannons facing the same way, we have a model of a particle (ie:missle) which has two missles, on top of each other, side by side, or whatever... It then appears as though two missles were fired. Hardly a good tactic, but it can make it appear to have two shots, though very limited.

Concerning your error, seeing silnarm's success, I would take a look at your unit, it's XML, and the XML for your resource. Either upload everything so silnarm or someone (not me, I'm afraid, don't like downloading large files) can take a look at it or post the XMLs for those two things, of which the first method is better, in case of a error in linking to a file. Though personally, I think there's something wrong with either the unit or the resource.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Evanator

« Reply #29 on: 13 August 2009, 09:41:25 »
thanks omega and silnarm, I looked throught the glest log file for what managed to load before the error occurred and it appears that every aspect of the faction loaded before the upgrade failed. This rules out the units, resources and other aspects of the faction being the issue and means all other bits of the faction are working correctly and shouldn't cause problems doesn't it? (Thanks to silnarm for taking the time to do an implementation test   ;) )
« Last Edit: 13 August 2009, 09:43:27 by Evanator »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #30 on: 13 August 2009, 09:49:51 »
That doesn't eliminate a link error which could be caused by the upgrade alone. It also doesn't eliminate odd problems not normally recognized by glest, or even odd resource/upgrade/unit pair ups.

Evanator

« Reply #31 on: 14 August 2009, 09:56:23 »
ok then, but how do I check for such an error and debug it?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #32 on: 14 August 2009, 10:50:57 »
Well, normally you would get a very good error message (but not in lua, and gae doesn't have that good of error messages) but if you didn't, you can try and run it in commandline, if you have found a way (last resort, just copy the glest directory into the desktop and run the commandline there. Seems like a waste though, since the directory will be huge, and that's just for one error. Alternatively, you CAN try GAE to see if it can pick the error up an better (though glest is normall better at this). You can also check the crash.txt, the log files, and crash.dmp, whatever.

Alternatively, you can follow silnarm's request:
I'd love to take at look at the XML for the entire tech-tree.

Evanator

« Reply #33 on: 14 August 2009, 11:14:52 »
Alright silnarm, here's theXML for the tech tree:
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>

<tech-tree>
   <description value="hadron_war tech tree"/>

<attack-types>
      <attack-type name="projectile"/>
      <attack-type name="explosive"/>
      <attack-type name="laser"/>
      <attack-type name="melta"/>
      <attack-type name="incendiary"/>
      <attack-type name="melee"/>
   </attack-types>

<armor-types>
      <armor-type name="infantry"/>
      <armor-type name="heavy_infantry"/>
      <armor-type name="vehicle"/>
      <armor-type name="aircraft"/>
      <armor-type name="building"/>
      <armor-type name="invulnerable"/>
   </armor-types>

<damage-multipliers>
      <damage-multiplier attack="projectile" armor="infantry" value="2"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="projectile" armor="heavy_infantry" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="projectile" armor="vehicle" value="0.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="projectile" armor="aircraft" value="0.75"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="projectile" armor="building" value="0.25"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="projectile" armor="invulnerable" value="0"/>

<damage-multiplier attack="explosive" armor="infantry" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="explosive" armor="heavy_infantry" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="explosive" armor="vehicle" value="2"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="explosive" armor="aircraft" value="3"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="explosive" armor="building" value="1.75"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="explosive" armor="invulnerable" value="0"/>

<damage-multiplier attack="laser" armor="infantry" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="laser" armor="heavy_infantry" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="laser" armor="vehicle" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="laser" armor="aircraft" value="1.25"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="laser" armor="building" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="laser" armor="invulnerable" value="0"/>

<damage-multiplier attack="melta" armor="infantry" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melta" armor="heavy_infantry" value="0.75"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melta" armor="vehicle" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melta" armor="aircraft" value="2"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melta" armor="building" value="3"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melta" armor="invulnerable" value="0"/>

<damage-multiplier attack="incindiary" armor="infantry" value="3"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="incindiary" armor="heavy_infantry" value="2"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="incindiary" armor="vehicle" value="0.75"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="incindiary" armor="aircraft" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="incindiary" armor="building" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="incindiary" armor="invulnerable" value="0"/>

<damage-multiplier attack="melee" armor="infantry" value="1.5"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melee" armor="heavy_infantry" value="1.25"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melee" armor="vehicle" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melee" armor="aircraft" value="1"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melee" armor="building" value="0.75"/>
      <damage-multiplier attack="melee" armor="invulnerable" value="0"/>
   </damage-multipliers>
</tech-tree>
Hope that's what you were after! Oh, and I found something strange about the error. It only appears to happen to the last upgrade (in alphabetical order). In the glest load log file all upgrades will load except the last one, no matter how many upgrades I put in or which one comes last! I don't know if this helps but I do know that it means that my XML's are not to blame because I don't even need to change code in the upgrade XML's for this to happen, I just add another bollocks upgrade starting with "z" or something and because it is the last to load it won't work instead of the previous one stuffing up.  ???
P.S. What the hell is GAE?  ;D

Evanator

« Reply #34 on: 14 August 2009, 14:28:19 »
Oh, I'd also like to know how to texture g3d files properly. I can texture models fine but when I export them from blender to .g3d and then implement the model into the game somewhere (with the image file in the same directory) the game displays it blank with no texture whatsoever. Am I doing it wrong? How does this work?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: 16 August 2009, 10:01:32 »
Oh, I'd also like to know how to texture g3d files properly. I can texture models fine but when I export them from blender to .g3d and then implement the model into the game somewhere (with the image file in the same directory) the game displays it blank with no texture whatsoever. Am I doing it wrong? How does this work?
This is because you are not linking the textures properly. I would recommend my very nice, shiny, new, and picture filled guide for blender here. Or if you want to go straight to the texturing step (step 2/4), then click here.

That should help. Also, I do not believe this is what silnarm was asking for. As a moder myself, the file you gave will most likely not help us debug the error. Since you said the number of resources didn't affect the error, and it came anyway, that means the error can be located pretty much ANYWHERE in your faction, meaning it could be any XML or any link. Because of this, if you want us to take a proper look, you'll need to upload the entire faction folder, compress it first into 7z (or at least zip) format. If you want to keep this secret, I understand, in which case, you can simply PM someone or email them the link (upload to a site like mediafire or one of those others... Oh name slipping... filefront?)

What the hell is GAE?
GAE, or the Glest Advanced Engine, is the super glest, and has a number of nice new features. It is the only version being developed right now, and is a must for every glest gamer. To see the board, check out the glest advanced engine board, on these forums here. Just scroll to the bottom of the page you are on now, and change the drop down box into whatever board you want to go to, in this case, Glest Advanced Engine.

The offical site is http://glest.codemonger.org/ although it was 1 version behind last time I checked, so look for the topic in the GAE board for the link to the new version.

FYI: It is completely unecessary to use any damage multiplier of '1' in your tech tree XML. Glest will defaultly use '1', even if no value is given, so you can comfortably just not have a line for that damage multiplier combo. I should also mention to you that even with a damage multiplier of 0, the unit will still take damage, though considerably less. It is unknown why this is.

anything