Author Topic: How to prepare a faction for different techtree  (Read 2003 times)

dkoh95

How to prepare a faction for different techtree
« on: 6 August 2009, 01:00:51 »
Hey everyone, I started playing Glest about 6 months ago, and it’s really fun with all the amazing mods you guys make. I have a quick question, it might sound noobish to the modders, but here it goes. Is it possible to convert some other faction from a different techtree into magitech so I can play that faction with the other magitech factions?

Thanks

( Edited by titi: I edited the title because "Question" is really too unspecific !)
« Last Edit: 6 August 2009, 18:25:30 by titi »

Hectate

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: 6 August 2009, 01:49:06 »
It would depend on the complexity of the faction and it's requirements.

For instance, if the faction is from another tech tree that doesn't use Gold as a resource, but Crystal instead, modifications might have to be made to various parts of all factions.

dkoh95

« Reply #2 on: 6 August 2009, 01:51:13 »
what if it just used gold, stone, and wood?

Mark

« Reply #3 on: 6 August 2009, 01:57:28 »
First thing: Welcome dkoh95!  :)  Its good to see new, enthused minds about the glest community.  If you plan on being a long term contributor to glest developement and modding, maybe you should create a post in the "Hello Topic"  in order to tell us more about yourself.

Second thing: About your inquiry. Each techtree has several variables that distinguish it from others.  These might be different resources, different damage calculators (the "techtree.xml" document inside the techtree folder) and different faction make-ups.  If you took, say, the 'Arturus' faction from the Nihirilian Techtree and added it to magitech, you would find that Nihirilian is too powerful.  This is called factions being unbalanced.  But if you really want the factions to go with each other, personal message me and tell me which specific faction you want in what techtree and i will do it for you. 

Third thing: If you want more mods, go to the Factions Download Center (https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=3814.0) and you can find some more.

Thanks
No Problem!

modman

« Reply #4 on: 6 August 2009, 17:35:44 »
Usually, if the faction uses gold, stone and wood, you can just put the whole folder into the glest (version#)/techs/magitech/factions/ folder.

The other thing you might have to change around is the armors and damages.  In techs/magitech there is a file magitech.xml with all of the damage multipliers.

I would advise just moving the whole folder to the factions folder, where by default tech and magic are, and then starting up Glest.  If nothing's wrong, you'll be fine.  But if not, glest crashes but gives an error message.  If it says it doesn't recognize the armor or attack, there's a problem with the magitech.xml.

dkoh95

Re: How to prepare a faction for different techtree
« Reply #5 on: 7 August 2009, 01:45:03 »
Thanks guys

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: 9 August 2009, 01:07:01 »
Well, if you have any trouble just tell use what you want and we'll help you out.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2009, 05:25:40 »
1. Resources
2. Tech Tree XML

These were explained above. For the tech tree XML's layout, please see the Glest Guide's XML section at glest.110mb.com/xmls.php. Look for tech tree xml (near the bottom of the page, though you should read the entire page to learn how to do XMLs).

Your resources should be fine. If ever you need to move a faction that has an extra resource, just go to that factions resource folder and copy that resource into faction 1. Remember that many factions will not be balanced against magitech!
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

anything