Author Topic: Glest with observers  (Read 16074 times)

jda

Re: Glest with observers
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2010, 03:56:41 »
So - i have manually applied the patch and made changes so at least glest is not crashing :-)

I can upload the patch to current megaglest svn and I'll upload the source folder, note that for this version of megaglest, you additionally need to have libpng and libjpeg; if you use Ubuntu 10.04 I could also give you a compiled binary if you want.

I'll edit my post when done.

Note that I "ported" only the observer-thing, not the simulanous keyboard/mouse-Movement things since the camera code changed a lot since I made this hack.

EDIT I: Patch to megaglest (Rev 155): http://billhome.at/glest/observer_hack_megaglest.patch

EDIT II: Since the whole folder is too large, here is the patched source folder only: http://billhome.at/glest/megaglest_obs_hack_source_155.zip

EDIT III: The patched glest binary (Ubuntu 10.04, 32bit) http://billhome.at/glest/glest.bin
Nice! :)
I'lln download and test the binaries on my Ubuntu 9.10 - should work unless the libraries used by glest/megaglest before have changed in a non backwards-compatible way; I would find it odd regarding Glest...  :| ).
If I can't get that to work, I'll try to build it from patched source then. ;)

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Well, the 10.04 binary works fine (kinda, see below) on my 32 bit 9.10. Everything functions perfectly but this small glitch/bug:
On the end-screen (the one with the victory/defeat and stats), regular megaglest (3.3.1) shows the stats for all 8 players (when playing 8 players of course) but your tweaked megaglest (3.3.2-dev) hides the stats for players 1, 7 and 8 (only 2 to 6 are displayed).
So... ingame it does work fine (either you play with or without observers) but the endgame stats are incomplete (also either way, with or without observers, the bug occurs always).
Note I have only tested with 8 players (this glitch may not occur when playing with less players, I didn't test that).

I'm still keeping it! ;D  8)
« Last Edit: 27 March 2010, 06:46:35 by jda »

PolitikerNEU

« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2010, 08:04:24 »
Fixed the bug - actually the players were displayed, but off-screen :-)

But I'll need some time for uploading, switiching to current svn caused some conflicts. Hope version will get ready in about an hour or so, will edit my post then.

EDIT: Maybe more time since I can't compile svn version now

EDIT II: Silnarm helped me with compiling, works now:

Patch to megaglest (Rev 159): http://billhome.at/glest/observer_hack_megaglest.patch

Patched source folder (Rev 159) http://billhome.at/glest/observer_hack_megaglest_source_159.zip

The patched glest binary (Ubuntu 10.04, 32bit) http://billhome.at/glest/glest.bin
« Last Edit: 27 March 2010, 09:06:08 by PolitikerNEU »

jda

« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2010, 11:06:41 »
Thanks, I'll try it later. :)  :thumbup:

EDIT: I tried it. The Observer functionality is gone:o :(
The v3.3.2-dev title you could see on the start menu of your previous patch also disappeared and the original v3.3.1 text appeared instead.

Was that last patch of yours (meant to be) aplied to the original megaglest or to the former patched megaglest?
It appears it was meant for your other patched megaglest but was aplied to the original 3.3.1 megaglest instead...?

Also... the official megaglest 3.3.2 is now out and, unfortunately does not contain this very nice feature. :(
« Last Edit: 28 March 2010, 18:08:24 by jda »

PolitikerNEU

« Reply #28 on: 28 March 2010, 18:22:25 »
Ooops - seems I did something wrong.

Yeah, original megaglest will never contain this patch bec. it is written in a bad way.

I try to figure out the cause of the problem and upate my post ASAP.

EDIT: The patch always applies to unmodified megaglest svn.

I have updated the binary (changed) and the patch (stayed the same), and the source code: Code-URL is: http://billhome.at/glest/observer_hack_megaglest_source_167.zip

Note that I fixed a bug once: Team is per default = 1, you have to click once on "left" to make an observer, I don't know if this was fixed in the first megaglest-version I put here.

EDIT II: If I am able to edit posts, I am usually in IRC too: #glest on irc.freenode.net: URL is irc://irc.freenode.net/glest
It might be faster to sort out problems there.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2010, 18:40:03 by PolitikerNEU »

jda

« Reply #29 on: 28 March 2010, 21:54:09 »
Thank you for the reply. :)

Sorry I missed you in the irc, you were already gone.

Anyway, I couldn't get it to work.
I copied your source code over the megaglest 3.3.1 source folder. and successfully compiled.

But when I run it, it just looks like regular 3.3.1, no Observers team.

Note that I fixed a bug once: Team is per default = 1, you have to click once on "left" to make an observer, I don't know if this was fixed in the first megaglest-version I put here.
The behaviour you describe (clicking "left" once when Team 1 is selected worked fine on your first binary. Now, after you corrected the end-game display, it just cycles back to Team 8.
And the worse thing is I saved your new version over the old one, so now I have no working version of your patch for megaglest. :(

PolitikerNEU

« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2010, 05:54:18 »
Have you tried to delete the source and then overwrite the source-folder with the one of the zip-file, then running jam distclean && sh autogen.sh && ./configure && jam (again)

I'll check if deleting source-folder + overwriting with my zip (note you need to decompress it in the glest-dir, not in the source-folder!) works for me, otherwise the binary has been updated to, so you might want to try it (again, compiled on 10.04/32 bit).

EDIT: I just noted that the source-folder structure of megaglest as you can download it from sourceforge is _completly different_ from the one svn uses. I'll try to provide a zip matching the source code structure of the megaglest as you can download it.

EDIT II: Here it is. I have tried extracting it over the downloadable megaglest-source and it worked there. I may be in IRC today, but don't know if I'll have time: http://billhome.at/glest/observer_hack_megaglest_str_166.zip
« Last Edit: 29 March 2010, 06:13:41 by PolitikerNEU »

jda

« Reply #31 on: 29 March 2010, 10:23:20 »
SUCCESS! :)

Have you tried to delete the source and then overwrite the source-folder with the one of the zip-file, then running jam distclean && sh autogen.sh && ./configure && jam (again)
No, I hadn't tried that.
Also, I never did run autogen.sh before running configure (nor after nor any time). I did it now. Do you think that could be the reason it didn't work before (I didn't test, i.e. build without running autogen.sh first)?

I'll check if deleting source-folder + overwriting with my zip (note you need to decompress it in the glest-dir, not in the source-folder!) works for me, otherwise the binary has been updated to, so you might want to try it (again, compiled on 10.04/32 bit).
But I couldn't find the binary in your last post. Do you mean you updated the binary you link to on the post you did before that last one?

EDIT: I just noted that the source-folder structure of megaglest as you can download it from sourceforge is _completly different_ from the one svn uses. I'll try to provide a zip matching the source code structure of the megaglest as you can download it.

EDIT II: Here it is. I have tried extracting it over the downloadable megaglest-source and it worked there. I may be in IRC today, but don't know if I'll have time: http://billhome.at/glest/observer_hack_megaglest_str_166.zip
As I said in the begining of this post, that one worked just fine. :)
Also, I noticed the start menu now says it's v3.3.2-beta1 and I confirmed the "Rotate building when choosing its location" is working (which means it is indeed megaglest 3.3.2-beta1). AWESOME!  8)
However, the file you provide here is revision 166 whereas your previous link was r167. I'm unsure what's the most recent / best revision.  :-\

Thanks! :)  :thumbup:

PolitikerNEU

« Reply #32 on: 29 March 2010, 10:34:07 »
Yeah, I always update the binary/patch when I upload a new source code-zip.

Rev is 166 because I mistyped it, it is Rev 167 :-) - but the fixes wouldn't be really important bec. they affect windows only AFIR.

And yeah, running jam distclean and ./configure might be necessary because it might be that otherwise the glest binary can't be built because the links to libpng and libjpeg could be missing than - and some files might not be updated.

jda

« Reply #33 on: 29 March 2010, 10:42:57 »
And yeah, running jam distclean and ./configure might be necessary because it might be that otherwise the glest binary can't be built because the links to libpng and libjpeg could be missing than - and some files might not be updated.
Well, I had built the previous source on top of a clean megaglest 3.3.1 so no need to jam distclean - there would have been nothing to clean! ;D
What I did do differently this time was issuing autogen.sh before ./configure. ;)

Thamks. :)

PolitikerNEU

« Reply #34 on: 29 March 2010, 11:15:26 »
Yeah, and what you also had to do in the previous versions (as opposed to the last that worked) was to copy everything of the "source"-folder into the "root" folder where you make your source.

jda

« Reply #35 on: 29 March 2010, 12:38:03 »
True, that was also something I did wrong before, I had copied your folder into the <root>/source folder instead of directly to <root>. ;D

Thanks!

anything