Author Topic: Frozen Winter - map  (Read 6573 times)

standizzle

Re: Frozen Winter - map
« Reply #25 on: 9 September 2009, 19:24:17 »
Hmm, that's no good. I blame my loss of images on hackers, though It's probably my fault.

I guess it's time to improve that guide in my next release. I'll add the custom object descriptions, though you are exagerating on 20-40... There is 5 custom objects. It says that for resources, though only custom resources 1 and 2 are used (gold and stone). There is 10 objects, five which are named, and five 'custom' ones.

Only one custom object is invisible (5). It is a non-walkable 'none' object, and is meant to limit movement, such as around large stones or on cliffs.

I'll help you though, as I got some spare time:

Custom 1=Grass
Custom 2=Hanged/Impaled
Custom 3=Statues
Custom 4=Big Stone
Custom 5=Non-walkable 'none' object

yes. small exageration.

but... those 7 things are big in map making. without knowing them.. my maps will be retarded compared to others. allows me to take massive steps leaps and bounds. so i ty for this ;)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2009, 05:30:51 »
OT: Oh, I'm glad you liked my volcanic. That wasn't my favorite. Of course, it is plenty good, but I needed to improve the textures for some. Silnarm stated he would, but didn't. Oh well...
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2009, 11:12:15 »
Why not customize the Glest Map Editor for each tileset and then include the "tileset-specific editor" in the finished tileset.zip folder? Too much work?

For the titi winter tileset it might read:

Surface:

1. Snow  - was grass
2. Spring Snow - was secondary grass

and so on.

Is it simply a matter of changing words [grass] to [snow] in lines of code? Or are the words [grass] [secondary grass] tied to code in the tilesets and by changing them it breaks/bugs the editor?  

I may be able to do it if someone posts a generic template from which to work from. I'm not a coder and have no interest whatsoever in learning how to code.  ::)
« Last Edit: 10 September 2009, 11:20:47 by Trappin »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2009, 19:02:35 »
That would be very easy. I could do the source, along with help code, but I'd still need a method of compiling. As far as I know, it needs special dependancies, and I don't have MS VS 08 since I lost it in a crash (must redownload offline version).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

modman

« Reply #29 on: 13 September 2009, 22:27:44 »
it might be because the tools already made and distributed are not completed. are not really explained. and as far as i can tell... you need more program knowledge than ive ever seen to mod a game in this game. (art editor, imagine editor, model editor, art and model viewers, xml, c++ although its optional for the most part, sometimes not..., map editor, sounds, animations... etc) .... and if you cant do one or two(god help if its more) of these things... you have to hook up with someone on the forum... which... ya. most likely not going to happen.

its alot for even the highly interested people.... to mod with. esp when some of the tools made to help, really dont work or have any explaination of things, or are simply unfinished.

I totally understand.  The resources there are, you have to learn to use.  Most of the successful modders came here with a prerequisite knowledge of some of the programs necessary.  But I mostly learned them all, which is a lot, I admit.  That's why I stuck to XML for a while.  The map editor could use a LOT of work, which is why I proposed a brand new one.  Unfortunately, there are fewer than optimal amounts of coders here, so these things take time.

I also appreciate you pointing this out.  It reminds me of what it was like for me 18 months ago.

I'll help you though, as I got some spare time:

Custom 1=Grass
Custom 2=Hanged/Impaled
Custom 3=Statues
Custom 4=Big Stone
Custom 5=Non-walkable 'none' object

You only have to look at the tileset.xml for that info.  I wrote it on a note card and taped it to my desk until I memorized it.  That's why I like maps which are for forest tileset.