Author Topic: --Tileset/Map/Scenarios Productions Team--  (Read 27629 times)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: --Tileset/Map/Scenarios Productions Team--
« Reply #25 on: 24 September 2009, 19:37:57 »
Good omaga  :D are you gona make maps tile-sets or scenarios? or all.
We will be making a moon tile set soon for our moon mod.  ;D
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
Re: --Tileset/Map Productions Team--
« Reply #26 on: 28 September 2009, 03:41:48 »
Well, come up with a little concept and we'll see who on the team wants to create your tileset.

I have a request. I'd like the Glest default Forest tileset modified to include two new objects. One Hexagon object and one Heptagon object with both being the same size as a Mossy Rock object. No fancy textures are needed - one solid color will be fine for the test. It doesn't matter which objects get removed from the default object list - but please include the default Mossy Rock object in the new modified tilseset so the 2 new objects can be rendered next to the old Mossy Rock object.

Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/Geometric.jpg[/img]
Previous attempts to build wall sections have failed due to random alignment features coded into the game. Objects lack a "true north" code, so each object is dropped into the game world not knowing the direction it should face - also - objects aligned in a linear fashion in the map editor will be rendered in-game with slight deviations on linear lines - hence the slightly jumbled - north/east/south/west -  object placement on the screen shot below.

square shaped objects rotate
[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/castlewall.jpg[/img]
So, why not use a hexagon or heptagon shaped object? An object with 5 or 6 sides solves the "true north" object problem - it won't matter which side faces north. We will still have the not-quite-lined-up non-linear jumbled appearance but if the Hex/Hept objects are double size the same way Mossy Rocks are sized - then some Hex objects will overlap other Hex objects - just as Mossy Rocks do - but with 5/6 sided objects it wont matter because one face of each object will be overlapping the other and thus form partially homogeneous wall connection seams. The new wall sections will still have deviations N/S/E/W along linear lines but i think it will be tolerable due to the shape of each object.

Mossy Rocks aligned.

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/alignment01.jpg[/img]
Special maps will need to be constructed with the object rendering limitations in mind but I think with some practice learning how hex objects render on the new tileset - we can ultimately design small scale castle-type siege maps.

Does this make sense to anyone? I think it will work. Anyone on the team want to take on this project?

EDIT: Modified to reflect Hectates comments - Glest random alignment problems features coded into the game.
Edit2: add mossy Rock screenshot
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 11:44:36 by filux »

Hectate

« Reply #27 on: 28 September 2009, 04:12:40 »
Just a couple thoughts.
1. Random orientation is vital to the visual appeal of "standard" tilesets. The fewer models in each set is better for memory space. Rotation allows greater variety with less memory impact. maybe GAE could add a tileset XL tag to eliminate the eandom orientation on specific models as per the designer's intention. Post in the GAE forum as a feature request.
2. A test wouldn't be hard. Is that your block wall? Blender can do milti sided shapes easily. I believe you just pick the number of sides you need on a circle or cylinder.
3. With rotation, as shown in that screenshot, texture will affect the "seamlessness" greatly.

Good luck!

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 September 2009, 04:21:53 »
Just a couple thoughts.
1. Random orientation is vital to the visual appeal of "standard" tilesets. The fewer models in each set is better for memory space. Rotation allows greater variety with less memory impact. maybe GAE could add a tileset XL tag to eliminate the eandom orientation on specific models as per the designer's intention. Post in the GAE forum as a feature request.
2. A test wouldn't be hard. Is that your block wall? Blender can do milti sided shapes easily. I believe you just pick the number of sides you need on a circle or cylinder.
3. With rotation, as shown in that screenshot, texture will affect the "seamlessness" greatly.

Good luck!

1) Yes, this is a workaround due to the visual appeal aspects of the game. I wouldn't want that code changed in any form.

2) Not my block wall. I have no idea who did it, sorry.

2) Solid colors for the test. If the rendering looks decent in-game then I think  each different hex object can be used, in conjunction with one another, to overcome the visual rendering limitations for linear object placement.

EDIT: baby steps - game modders seem to try to do too many things and falter. Design the basic hex/hept objects and place them into a functioning tileset. Zip and share with the community.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2009, 04:35:13 by Trappin »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: 28 September 2009, 14:27:33 »
Well, I don't have any experience making tilesets, but I will make you a tileset with a hex object and a heptagon object tonight, if I have the time.
Besides, I can't texture.........so someone else will have to do that for you.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Mark

« Reply #30 on: 29 September 2009, 02:16:19 »
I can make your Heptagon and Hexagon Models.  I assume that they are as tall as a swordman?  Is a color necessary at all?

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29 September 2009, 04:18:51 »
Thanks for the response.

1) Design heptagon/Hexagon to the relative size and height of the Mossy Rock object.

2) Place the two new hex/hept model objects AND Mossy Rock object into the newly modified Glest default tileset Forest.

Frankly,  I really don't care about the color for testing purposes.

I'd like to see how the hept/hex objects render in-game compared - side by side - to the default mossy rock objects.

:)

Scenariole

« Reply #32 on: 29 September 2009, 07:32:45 »
Ive made 2 scenarios already... 5 more to go, and if your asking when im going to release them, they will be released WITH the finished MOON MOD. The only scenario I will post on forums is the third one so stay tuned :D

Also I could texture the models but im not good at it :S Unless you want a recolor, or some chain, pattern texture which are the only things I can do in photoshop (im still new to it) Though maybe not...

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 1 October 2009, 01:35:14 »
See how the mossy rocks align in the screen shot below? The new hex/hept objects will render in the same fashion.

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/alignment01.jpg[/img]
and

[IMG]http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz136/TrappinGlestMaps/alignment02.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 11:44:56 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 1 October 2009, 01:37:33 »
Cool! howd you do that? can you do it in normal glest?

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 1 October 2009, 01:43:02 »
The screen shots are from the regular Glest client. Objects will align like this when placed in specific locations.
« Last Edit: 1 October 2009, 01:48:33 by Trappin »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 1 October 2009, 01:47:23 »
So you can't make like a wall in the midel of the map?

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 1 October 2009, 01:52:22 »
It's possible yes - but takes time fiddling with a map to get the objects to align properly. This is why I need not only the two new hex/hept object but also the mossy rock - this way we can compare how they all behave on the same map and in the same locations.

Anyone have the time to model the hex/hept objects and zip them into into a functioning tileset?
« Last Edit: 1 October 2009, 02:09:44 by Trappin »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: 1 October 2009, 11:11:55 »
Time, with time I can't be sure but I don't think so because I don't have any Blender stuff installed on my laptop, blender stuff is on my dad's computer.
Egypt Remastered!

Scenariole

« Reply #39 on: 2 October 2009, 00:16:10 »
I could make a map, just like island siege but like a version 2 of it. I find that it could be improved because it is impossible to win against 3 ultra AI's unless the guy in the middle has more resources or that the other 3 AI's have less resources, and a remodification of the map.

Mark

« Reply #40 on: 2 October 2009, 02:28:20 »
@Trappin-Okay, I have your models. I just did them in the last 9 minutes, zipped them and uploaded them.

I did not have time to integrate them, maybe tomorrow.

http://www.filefront.com/14639531/Trappin%27s%20Shapes.zip

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2 October 2009, 07:52:58 »
Thanks Mark, looking forward to messing around with this stuff.

Scenariole

« Reply #42 on: 4 October 2009, 07:11:55 »
sorry guys I haven't been on lately, got lots of school crap to do. anyways i've nearly completed the new map so probably in a few days time I will post it

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: 4 October 2009, 07:21:03 »
WEll, I  look forward to seeing the map.
Can you PM it to me, so I can put it in the first post, because I hate seeing downloads scattered all through a topic.
Egypt Remastered!

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 6 October 2009, 06:23:16 »
@Trappin-Okay, I have your models. I just did them in the last 9 minutes, zipped them and uploaded them.

http://www.filefront.com/14639531/Trappin%27s%20Shapes.zip

Anyone have time to integrate these models into a functioning tileset?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: 6 October 2009, 12:43:39 »
No I'm sorry.
I have a feeling Scenariole might.
Egypt Remastered!

Scenariole

« Reply #46 on: 11 October 2009, 20:25:15 »
archmage i've sent you a pm with the link of island_siege v2. The AI is pretty good and it gives the player a slightly more chance of winning a battle against 3 ultra CPU's then island_siege.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: 11 October 2009, 21:24:17 »
Ok, I'll put it up on the first post soon. :)
Egypt Remastered!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #48 on: 11 October 2009, 21:55:36 »
First post heavily modified and updated, please read.....
Egypt Remastered!

Scenariole

« Reply #49 on: 12 October 2009, 05:32:51 »
Hey your name has changed :P

I will work on another map this time its name would probably be called Clear Lake or something. Its going to be a 1 on 1 so yeah