Author Topic: How to make textures from scratch  (Read 3145 times)

Loronal

How to make textures from scratch
« on: 18 September 2009, 19:59:11 »
Okay heres another question from the learning noob. How do you design textures like how do you draw them out? is it just pixel by pixel or do you have special tactics. Oh and I use gimp even though its "complicated" I really like it more than paint.net which seems to be really just plain terrible

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: How to make textures from scratch
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2009, 20:42:10 »
Paint.net is good but when I switched to Linux it only had gimp so I learned gimp.  :)
Most of my textures are made in gimp but I like to use real pictures to, Here is a web sight with great and free textures. I do not make my homemade textures pixel by pixel, I do draw out some stuff but I mostly use the tools in gimp.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2009, 20:57:30 »
The problem with that site is that it isn't really GPL-compatible.  There's nothing really wrong with that per se, but it's something to keep in mind when you distribute your work.  You can find plenty of GPL, CC, and public domain images on wikimedia commons and burningwell.org, so those are two good places to look.  You can occasionally find some on DeviantART, but I wouldn't count on it.

Fluffy203

« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2009, 22:01:23 »
yea i can make some great textures with brushes made by ppl from deviantart just make sure to give credit for the textures =)

Hectate

« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2009, 03:18:06 »
It really depends on what you're making. In almost any case you'll want to lay a nice base layer of color down. Even brown for wood, grey for stone and some metals, green for grass, etc. A noise filter over this base layer is a nice way to add some easy texture - just pay attention for color changes in some of the filters.

For wood (assuming we're talking cut wood, like planks), I then draw roughly parallel, random, thin lines (click > [hold]shift+click is easy) and adjust the color slightly (lighter, darker, browner, oranger, etc) each time or so. Dodge/Burn lines are good too. I run a filter (Noise > Spread)to randomize the pixels just a little, and then blur (Blur > Blur or Gaussian Blur) it just a little.
This will leave you with some nice soft textured stripes, but their still a little too regular in the vertical pattern to be good enough. This can be solved with the Clone Stamp tool. Be sure to have a very wide soft feathered edge on your brush for this. What you do is pick a different spot on the pattern (say between two stripes somewhere else) and clone a small bit of that vertical section (between 1/4 and 1/2) somewhere over the top of another stripe or area. The most important thing is to never use the clone stamp horizontally. What I mean is to always offset the area you are cloning TO at least a bit up or down (to avoid obvious patterning). Do this all over the texture, and don't be afraid to clone FROM areas you have already cloned to!
A little bit of this going back and forth and you have a nice randomly striped wood-like pattern. It's particularly good for an RTS like Glest because it doesn't have to be extremely high-resolution which means you can cheat like this (because it won't be photorealistic. This is the method I used for the wood planks (not including the rectangular ends, I had to do some tiling tricks for that) in the image below.

You'll notice that each plank has defined edges. For that all you have to do is burn some even lines across your wood pattern. After that a few thin lines of black created some simple straps to show that they were being held down/together.

The crates don't count because they were just a base color and some mild burns for the surface shapes of the cross-braces. A hack really :D

The metal of the vessel is grey and noise and burn shape. It was a work in progress and that's the part that was never finished.

The metal sheets were base color (grey) combined with a layer of Render > Solid Noise. Following that I used both the Airbrush and Burn tools to create the individual sheets as seen from side on.

If you want to see the texture file from the above picture, the TGA and XCF (gimp format) files are in the .zip you can get from the following thread.
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4587.0

Hopefully this helps someone. I'll have to write up a proper tutorial with images too.

Fluffy203

« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2009, 03:23:29 »
don't think anyone can put it better than that  ;)

Loronal

« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2009, 11:44:35 »
thanks ;D that really helps. I do have paint.net but I really love gimp. Thanks for the tips guys!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2009, 00:05:18 »
I would always recommend www.burningwell.org . The texture base section is managed by me and most of the photos were made by me.
Its really all public domain and you will never get into trouble with any licences here ( even if you don't credit anyone! ).
Thats what it was made for!

Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

anything