Author Topic: New Faction - Alliance and the Resistance  (Read 8499 times)

Scenariole

Re: New Faction - Alliance and the Resistance
« Reply #25 on: 28 September 2009, 01:31:23 »
So does anyone else like it? :D

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: 28 September 2009, 14:45:29 »
I downloaded it but haven't played it yet, I'll re-compress it in a 7-z sometime and send it to you.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Scenariole

« Reply #27 on: 28 September 2009, 21:38:38 »
I doubt anyone has played it >.> C'mon I think this has a better techtree than the old magitech. In Magitech you buy swordsman for 75 gold and in this game you buy light or scout cavalry for 75 gold. Magitech costs 275 gold for horseman and allyresist costs about 130 gold for HEAVY CAVALRY.

Crossbows kill workers, slaves and weak units in just about 1 hit. Fire archers pierce through armor well.

Anyways heres an update:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=4f7056b638f661d00dec85adfe0a530ae04e75f6e8ebb871

Post that xml with the old swordsman xml. I've updated him quiet a bit.

Mark

« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2009, 00:50:57 »
Does it have new models?

Scenariole

« Reply #29 on: 29 September 2009, 07:25:49 »
I dont know how to say this but, yes and no. I've added new models into the techtree but they are not exactly new since they some of them came from titi's megapack so it depends if you would call that new or not.

Well I do have stables, elite castle, daemon warp, and a few others like crossbow, if you would call that new

EDIT:

Check my sig, you see stables there :D Its not a modification frmo the magitech, ive added new models....
« Last Edit: 29 September 2009, 07:28:42 by Scenariole »

madmanntis

« Reply #30 on: 30 September 2009, 02:33:13 »
I had one game. I Realized as it was loading that I had forgotten to switch the CPU players to Ultra, but I decided to play out the game anyways. I played as the disorderly. Prior to my game I also looked at at few of the Alliance models in G3D viewer.

So, you had warned me that the AI is only really good on Ultra... so I wasn't shocked that it was easy.

I found the idea of the units being unable to summon, but only morph into other units quite intriguing. Initially I had been annoyed by it, but eventually I saw that it made for unique gameplay.

The wide array of units is pretty nifty. I didn't get to appreciate the Alliance side of this from my game, but the Disorderly was pretty good.

The golem no longer uses MP to move... I enjoyed that.

The new textures seemed alright... however, I noticed two things: The Alliance's Heavy Calvary, Light Calvary and Scout Calvary still had fairly similar textures. Would be good to differentiate these a little more. Also, many of the new textures had no team colour (alpha).

Again, I didn't get to really face off against the Alliance properly and see what they could do, but the idea of having several levels of calvary sounds very cool.  :)

Oh! I noticed that the dragon was a ground unit. (Or at least they were flying very low). With their animations it looked as though they were swimming in the dirt.  :-\

So... all in all... neat new mod. It could use some polish, but the gameplay has a lot of potential with your ideas. Good work!

Post Script: Also.. I quite enjoyed the music!!! Get's ya going!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: 30 September 2009, 04:20:44 »
Comments (I'll be frank, but polite):
-Needs new models, this is basically the standard of making mods these days
-Units are too cheap. Don't take this as a good thing.
-AI isn't perfect, even on Ultra it's not perfect (ok, nothing is, but the normal AI is a little... how to put it?)
-Dragon error as Madmanntis pointed out
-crossbows overpowered
-balance issues
-needs more work

I'm sorry, but while the intentions are good and the idea, the faction itself just doesn't quite keep up with todays standards.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Scenariole

« Reply #32 on: 30 September 2009, 04:28:52 »
I do know it needs new models, since I cannot make my own. It seems to complex. And yes units are cheap, but how could it be a bad thing? The Dragon error is something I cannot fix. Crossbows are not overpowered. I today was playing it and this morning in a 2 vs 1 as the disorderly my crossbows got killed easily by the dark knights. And I had like 10 of them and the disorderly still killed me.

I do think it is balanced since when I play as disorderly the AI (alliance) always swarms me with cavalry and its a pain in the ass. And when I play as alliance the AI (disorderly) launches the pagans and dark knights at me.

This is my first time making a mod so yeah... If only making models were easier then I would be able to make my own.

And about the alpha thing, I don't know how to do it

madmanntis

« Reply #33 on: 1 October 2009, 01:56:37 »
Hey. Don't get discouraged. This all has good potential.

And about the alpha thing, I don't know how to do it

What do you use to edit textures?

I'm cheap, so I use GIMP (it's free, and pretty dece'). Basically, whatever is "see-through," is alpha. The team colour will show through the alpha, see-through parts.

So say if we took the Scout Calvary texture, and erased the horse's face, the horse's face would show up in-game as a big team-coloured blob. This would certainly show which team the Scout Calvary belongs to, but who wants a horse with a blob of red/blue/green/yellow for a face? :P

This is a very basic explanation of it, but hopefully it gets you on the right track. You make certain parts of the texture partially transparent, and the team-colour will show through.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 1 October 2009, 03:42:13 »
Also keep in mind that you can set the opacity of the eraser to something other than 100%.  For example, if you set it to 50% and erase a big chunk of the texture, then that part will be half original color and half team color.  Play around with different values and see how it turns out.  Also, you might find that certain parts will turn transparent instead of turning into team color (try it with the Swordman's shield and see what happens), in which case you pretty much just have to leave that part alone.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 1 October 2009, 03:45:59 »
Also, you might find that certain parts will turn transparent instead of turning into team color (try it with the Swordman's shield and see what happens), in which case you pretty much just have to leave that part alone.
Unless you don't want him to have a shield, like Titi's stick fighter.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: 2 October 2009, 12:25:44 »
I just realized I never knew how to do alpha, thanks guys! :D
Egypt Remastered!

Scenariole

« Reply #37 on: 2 October 2009, 21:31:13 »
Gee Wow thanks for that! I use photoshop to edit the textures :P I always used a black brush to cover up the shields for the swordsman and I forgot to use the eraser button.

I really tried to erase the swordsman's shield, the scout and light cavalrie's shield aswell and yeah but I failed :(

I was thinking of removing the dark knight's head since it was going to be headless....

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: 2 October 2009, 22:26:02 »
What model did you use for the dark knight?

It'd be fun to give the 'Dark Knight' a two-handled sword and some evil looking armor, and I could possibly re-animate him...?
Egypt Remastered!

Mark

« Reply #39 on: 3 October 2009, 02:36:19 »
It'd be fun to give the 'Dark Knight' a two-handled sword and some evil looking armor, and I could possibly re-animate him...?
Wow, that would be tight!  :o

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 3 October 2009, 02:47:07 »
It would be a like a giant pair of scissors!  ;D