Author Topic: Blender --Help Center--  (Read 56930 times)

Mark

Re: Blender --Help Center--
« Reply #175 on: 9 August 2010, 02:09:31 »
My previous debacle may have been caused by a faulty export script.  Can someone please direct me to the latest/greatest one?

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 9 August 2010, 23:42:52 »
I believe the latest version is available on Titi's website.

Mark

« Reply #177 on: 23 August 2010, 22:07:51 »
Thank you.  It helped.  I used it to make some new models for the new Dark Magic download.  You can check the spoilers for proof it works. 

Now that I am able to apply textures to new models properly (though I can't fix all the existing ones, which is a source of continual mystery to me), I would like to learn how to animate.  I can do some animating, though only with one bone.  I have seen titi's tutorial (which was, like his others, very informational), John.d.h.'s tutorials (lots of new info), and Omega's glest guide tutorial (good, but lacking some stuff).  I the thing is, how long is learning supposed to take?  Longer or shorter than texturing?  I seem to recall once I got titi's texturing video I was set within about 2 days.  After a couple weeks I had experimented enough to be able to pretty much texture everything I wanted to.  I have easily spent three times as long working on animating.  So, I would like to know if anybody has any ideas for tutorials.   

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 24 August 2010, 06:20:19 »
To put it one way, I still haven't mastered the finer points of texturing.  For me, animation was quite a bit easier to learn.  I mean, I look at most two-dimensional art and think to myself "gotta be witchcraft", so maybe that's just me.  You can learn the basics in mere minutes (grab bone, move it where you want it... easy, right?), but what takes a lot of time is getting better at making more realistic poses and animations, and doing more complicated rigs.  My advice is to get a good reference of whatever action you're doing, and really study how the different parts of the body move when doing it.  When walking, the arms and legs are the obvious movers, but the spine twists, the head bobs a little, the shoulders move, etc., and all those are things that would be easy to miss, but make a walking animation look very bad if absent.  Sometimes you can find a good video online, or even record yourself doing the action, and use that as a reference.  There are probably a ton of methods, so feel free to experiment and find what works for you.

Mark

« Reply #179 on: 25 August 2010, 00:11:30 »
Yeah, when I went to yellowstone, I took a couple videos and pictures of bison butting heads.  Actually, one of them came onto the road, stood about 2 feet from the car, and looked at us.  Modman took a photo of that.  What I mean to say is, since all bovine ungulates walk similarly, when I learn, I can make a good looking walking bull animation.  About all the intricacies, yeah, I know.  I took a video of a person walking quickly and they did a lot of things-their heads bobbed, their arms swung in curves, their shoulders moved up and down.  I guess I can see why some walking animations don't seem realistic-it's almost impossible to get it to that!

About how you say you haven't learned everything about texturing, I suppose that is to be expected, considering how complicated blender can be.  I do 'project from view way more than anybody else, judging from the texture maps I see.  That shows you how lazy I can be, but it looks much neater in-game in some circumstances, and in others you wouldn't know I had done it from in glest.

Seanachaidh

« Reply #180 on: 21 November 2010, 19:56:54 »
hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on here, anyways,  I know the models for glest need to be low poly, I'm finishing up work on the anti-air unit for the Crincillin faction, and was a little worried because I have used a little more polys that usual,  anyone know a good amount of polys that one should shoot for, and if so, ow would I check the number of polys on my model, thanks in advance.

Hope If you need clarification just say so. :)

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 21 November 2010, 21:03:46 »
hey guys, it's been a while since I posted on here, anyways,  I know the models for glest need to be low poly, I'm finishing up work on the anti-air unit for the Crincillin faction, and was a little worried because I have used a little more polys that usual,  anyone know a good amount of polys that one should shoot for, and if so, ow would I check the number of polys on my model, thanks in advance.

Hope If you need clarification just say so. :)
The polygon count is shown in Blender here:

The g3d viewer also shows the polygon count, so you can take a look at some units from other tech trees, like Magitech, to get a good idea of what a normal polygon count is.  Really, you're safe using more polygons than standard Magitech units, as some of Wciow's dwarven units have something like three times the polygon count and don't cause many people any problems.

Additionally, some are shown in the galleries on the main site:
http://glest.org/en/gallery-buildings.php
http://glest.org/en/gallery-units.php
The number next to the red triangle on the images is the polygon count (after triangulation).

Seanachaidh

« Reply #182 on: 21 November 2010, 23:04:16 »
Tanks John, found that I had over 2100 polys on it, and that's witout the head yet, hehe, -_-, anyways, after I get the model done, I think I'll go and simplify it a little bit, but I'll look as Wciows models first, so I can use that as baseline.

Seanachaidh

« Reply #183 on: 10 January 2011, 14:27:10 »
Hey Guys,

I'm having some trouble with the paladin texture. I was trying to preview the texture by pressing f12after linking it, but I can't do that because the Materials window is just blank, so I can't set it to conform to the UV map, heres a screenshot.

I was able to link the texture just fine, although I did have some problems with buttons missing there, too, until I click one of the buttons, and then it was fine, I ust can make it conform to the UV map.

I don't know what's going on, is there some setting that I need to change or add?

thanks in advance.

Gabbe

« Reply #184 on: 10 January 2011, 14:45:26 »
have you actually selected the model?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 10 January 2011, 19:58:26 »
Do you have problems with other buttons/menus not showing up, and things of that nature?  If so, it might just be a graphical glitch.  I used to get them a lot on certain operating systems when using Blender.  I don't really know what you can do about it, though.

Seanachaidh

« Reply #186 on: 11 January 2011, 14:02:25 »
to john: I haven't had any problems with any other buttons, although it might be a glitch, I'll take a look at some of the other buttons.

Gabbe: I'm fairly sure that was the first thing I looked at when I was having the problem, It wasn't it.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 11 January 2011, 17:35:53 »
The best I can do is wild guessing at this point.  Maybe there's no UV map?  I can't think of why there wouldn't be, but I've seen other people have problems because of that.  If you haven't unwrapped or anything, in edit mode try U, reset.  If you have already unwrapped, then this isn't your problem.

Mr War

« Reply #188 on: 11 January 2011, 22:30:15 »
Hi, I'm new to blender and finding it very frustrating. I'm trying to get just one model into GAE as a test. I cheated by building in Google Sketchup and importing from .dae. I intend to temporarily swap out a castle.g3d from one of the mods I currently have loaded as a test.

I downloaded the export script from Titi's site and g3d is an export option now, but no file seems to get saved.

The model has no skin - is that required by the export script?

Also, with this model I seem to have lost the option of viewing as anything other than Object View, so I cannot convert to triangles - no idea if it's triangles or not. Might have curves.

Any help much appreciated. Sorry that these are remedial questions but I learn better by trial and error than tutorials.

Mr War

« Reply #189 on: 11 January 2011, 23:07:10 »
Well I seem to have stumbled past the Edit View problem, and maybe got further with the export but still breaking. Blender Console says Error 193, %1 is not a valid Win32 application. Any ideas?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #190 on: 11 January 2011, 23:16:26 »
Please post your blend files (upload to a site like mediafire) so we can see. This will often help a large bit. It's hard to help someone just from descriptions.

I know you fixed the issue, but just so you know what was wrong, your model was not selected in that screen shot. The object has to be selected to go into edit mode.

As for this issue, I can only guess again. Options:
-Redownload export script, it could be broken
-Make sure ALL files for the export script exist, particularly the exe
-Make sure the script is in the correct directory (instructions should be in a comment on the script).
-See if the exe works when run manually (from the command line, with a valid XML to convert. If the problem is just in the converter as it seems (it's the only exe), then the XML should still be exported under a name like "tmp.xml" or similar.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Mr War

« Reply #191 on: 12 January 2011, 19:14:43 »
It still won't export - here's the blend file http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2opk3f2p9rnna60

If someone can try exporting to g3d to confirm it's not the model itself that'd be really helpful and appreciated.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #192 on: 13 January 2011, 01:05:20 »
That's the .bend1 file. We need the .bend file  :|
Don't worry, I've done that too before.  :P

BTW, it looks really nice. My sketch-up skills are pretty much nonexistent :O

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #193 on: 13 January 2011, 05:38:25 »
Blend1 files work perfectly fine. They are backups, and are simply the full file with a different name (.blend*, where * is the backup number. By default, only one is created. I disabled these because of the clutter they caused). Just rename it to be blend for it to work.

EDIT: Works fine to me. G3D and image are below. As I mentioned before, setting solid colors won't work, so there's no texture.

Download G3D

Nothing wrong with the blend that I could see, though I did merge the model into one object, out of personal preference.

EDIT2: This should explain how to set up the exporter well enough: http://glestguide.co.cc/blender_tutorial4.php
« Last Edit: 13 January 2011, 05:54:07 by Omega »

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 13 January 2011, 06:55:56 »
(Side note: https://github.com/williame/GlestTools/raw/master/g3d.py shows how to read a g3d in python; it ought to be straightforward for anyone who is  proficient in blender scripts to modify titi's script so it writes the g3d files directly rather than via xml perhaps?)

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 13 January 2011, 12:02:43 »
When Blender 2.5x leaves beta we need to rewrite the whole export script anyway because the python api changed. And still changes as long as it's in beta. It would be nice to have then a pure python direct export.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #196 on: 13 January 2011, 21:21:12 »
Indeed, that's true... Will, my friend, you seem very skilled in python... ;) ;)

Mr War

« Reply #197 on: 14 January 2011, 21:01:22 »
Blend1 files work perfectly fine. They are backups, and are simply the full file with a different name (.blend*, where * is the backup number. By default, only one is created. I disabled these because of the clutter they caused). Just rename it to be blend for it to work.

EDIT: Works fine to me. G3D and image are below. As I mentioned before, setting solid colors won't work, so there's no texture.

Download G3D

Nothing wrong with the blend that I could see, though I did merge the model into one object, out of personal preference.

EDIT2: This should explain how to set up the exporter well enough: http://glestguide.co.cc/blender_tutorial4.php
Thanks man, really appreciated. At least I know that the problem is my install of scripts not the model itself.

Seanachaidh

« Reply #198 on: 15 January 2011, 03:59:43 »
thanks guys, I haven't figured it out, but it does sound just like some random thing, I'll worry about it another time, I have ways of getting around it.

Mr War

Still cannot get the Blender Export to work
« Reply #199 on: 16 January 2011, 14:59:30 »
I tried reinstalling the export scripts but same problem persists

Any ideas? - or any other export scripts I could try?

anything