Author Topic: Ligerteeth's Hero Method  (Read 1946 times)

Ligerteeth

Ligerteeth's Hero Method
« on: 4 October 2009, 04:36:11 »
So, I wanted to make heroes that were unique and only one of them could exist at once, so heres my solution. i created a new static resource which I called "soul". The hero unit consumes one soul and you start with one soul, so ultimately, the starting value for soul is zero. In the middle of the hero's "die" skill i added this line:
Code: [Select]

<resource-requirements>
<resource name="soul" amount="-1"/>
       </resource-requirements>

So when the hero dies, you gain one soul. At the base you can respawn the hero, and this takes one soul, so basically you can only build a hero when the existing hero dies. Aside from this I remade the levels and added a special attack skill. (I have 5 levels for my hero and he levels relatively fast to compensate for losing his levels when he dies.) obviously, the fast leveling can result in balance issues in a normal mod, but I designed this for use in a mod I am working on where you only control your hero and a few extremely week cannon fodder-esque type units.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Ligerteeth's Hero Method
« Reply #1 on: 4 October 2009, 05:34:08 »
I don't think that code will work and it's entirely unnecessary.  With a static resource, you get it back when the unit dies.  That's what it means by "static", the resource is still there, just occupied or in use while the unit is alive.  This idea really isn't anything new, by the way.  The only downside is that you have an extra resource at the top of the screen, and if you were dealing with multiple heroes, each with their own resource, it could get kinda ugly.  I think GAE has an option to hide the resource, though, making the idea much more attractive.

Ligerteeth

« Reply #2 on: 4 October 2009, 18:13:22 »
This method does work, I've tested it, the resource doesn't come back when the unit dies, other than that I made his death give you one soul

Zoythrus

« Reply #3 on: 4 October 2009, 18:14:24 »
what you really need is more than one hero, but only one soul...

Mark

« Reply #4 on: 4 October 2009, 23:52:44 »
I don't see how this is profoundly different from the other methods.  Except that are trying to do something (death giving resources) that is quite new, and I think impossible.  You should give the hero levels for each kill, up to like 50, and I like how you are making a mod of just a hero and some underlings.  I think each underling should have a unique ability, like healing, super attack, super speed movement, or a ranger unit.

Edit:  I understand how you would do it, with a consumable resource?  (The death of the hero giving the building another resource)
Sorry.  :-[
« Last Edit: 4 October 2009, 23:54:16 by Mark »

Ligerteeth

« Reply #5 on: 5 October 2009, 14:03:17 »
this really does work, go ahead and try it for yourself. Whenever I'm done with the mod I'm working on, I'll post it obviously and you can see that this is an effective technique. Also, I did make it so that the heroes level from kills, I just didn't go as high as 50

what you really need is more than one hero, but only one soul...

I just made one tech tree with each hero having their own faction instead of selecting heroes in game, but i did toy with this idea and may end up using it because it is more efficient, however I wanted to make it impossible to change heroes and I'm not sure how I would do that otherwise.

I like how you are making a mod of just a hero and some underlings.

thanks, my concept was vaguely influenced by DotA and another mod I used to play for spring
« Last Edit: 5 October 2009, 14:10:56 by Ligerteeth »

Ligerteeth

« Reply #6 on: 5 October 2009, 23:43:00 »
BTW, this also works as a population cap, such as in Dawn of War.

Loronal

« Reply #7 on: 7 October 2009, 19:14:51 »
 :) Cool I had the same idea. Of course I thought f it differently. In gae they have the feature to have pets which protect there summoner or producer the number of pets can be limited.I was thinking of making it so that instead of a castle you would have a citadel, but you only have one when you start that way you could produce 1 hero but can only produce him again when he dies. This way you can have any valid number of different heros but each one can only be produced once.

P.S
excuse my english currently im in brazil speaking portugese. Plus I hope you understood

anything