Author Topic: retrofitting  (Read 1778 times)

Zoythrus

retrofitting
« on: 4 October 2009, 19:55:30 »
is it possible to have an upgrade that changes all of one unit into another unit? like upgrading all swordmen into guards at once? (this would also mean that the swordman would no longer be buildable, you could only build guards from there on)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: retrofitting
« Reply #1 on: 4 October 2009, 19:56:36 »
Idon't believe so.....but it would be an awesome GAE feature! :)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Mark

« Reply #2 on: 4 October 2009, 23:44:27 »
Okay, both of you should really read the topic that modman started that talks about new GAE ideas.  Someone brought that up, and I guess the agreement is that in some cases, swordman are preferable  I could really go into detail for and against this feature, but I think the community could really think up some stuff...

Zoythrus

« Reply #3 on: 5 October 2009, 01:48:32 »
im saying that the guard would be better than the swordman in every way, shape, and form--it would be a complete upgrade. when you research "guard," the swordman is then utterly obsolete...

Mark

« Reply #4 on: 5 October 2009, 01:49:21 »
Umm, the swordman is cheaper, faster and quicker to make...  ::)

Zoythrus

« Reply #5 on: 5 October 2009, 01:54:46 »
i mean that the guard would be changed so that they have the same price. the guard IS the swordman, just better (even more cost effective), think Age of Empires or Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds--when you upgraded a unit to a better unit, the older unit became obsolete in every way. there would be absolutely NO reason to want the obsolete unit...

Mark

« Reply #6 on: 5 October 2009, 01:57:33 »
Well, I understand where you are coming from, but I think that eliminating those units is the wrong way to go.

Hectate

« Reply #7 on: 5 October 2009, 02:45:53 »
All your asking, really, is if its possible to upgrade a swordman to a guard, but still cost the swordsman. The answer is yes, of course, but the units will always be called swordsman. Just create an upgrade to research that gives swordsmen the guard's stats. Done!

It's really that easy and you'll never have to pick between swordsmen and guards. You will have to figure a good cost for the upgrade though...

Zoythrus

« Reply #8 on: 5 October 2009, 20:44:49 »
not just the guard's stats, but the model as well...

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: 5 October 2009, 20:56:39 »
I don't believe that that is possible..............
But in GAE maybe that is or could be a feature.

BTW is there a list of all the current GAE features anywhere?
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

anything