Author Topic: codemonger.org  (Read 1860 times)

daniel.santos

codemonger.org
« on: 16 October 2009, 05:33:44 »
Yes, I'm sorry guys, it's down again.  And from what the tech support guys told me, it looks like an interesting new hardware error that I haven't seen before, w00t!  I'm going to call them in the morning and see if we can troubleshoot it.  My guess is that the integrated ethernet interface is screwed.  They've rebooted it twice and there's something along the lines of "TSC error", I'll find out more info tomorrow.  I changed my travel plans and I wont be back in town until the 20th (to fix it in person).  The actual server is up, but I can't connect to it. :(

So does anybody have any suggestions on nice stable server motherboards?

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Re: codemonger.org
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2009, 08:49:39 »
I can only talk about AMD mainboards here:
Asus has some good boards with stable capacitors. Even some cheap ones like this: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fhtfT62sDoYhcGQA have these good capacitors. This still is the main reason why mainboards die.
In general all the black colored boards of Asus have these capacitors. These are not real server boards, but I think they are stable enough.

Another reason for often hardware damage can be the power supply. This one can kill everything in the computer with stress peaks.
Harddisks, controllers and mainboards can die with this problem, but the power supply stll works ...
This happens quite often and is really hard to find!
« Last Edit: 16 October 2009, 09:04:48 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

daniel.santos

« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2009, 17:34:03 »
Thanks for the advice titi! :)  My brother is a hardware person and he blames these cheap capacitors that came out of a Chinese company and proliferated all around the world for most motherboard failures too, but he doesn't setup servers often anymore, so he didn't have any advice for me on motherboards.  He claims to be a benifactor of those capacitors because he's gotten a lot of dead motherboards that he's brought back by replacing them (and, of course, he built systems out of them and sold them as used computers :) ).

I did speak with tech support this morning and apparently, it's at the end of my initrd LVM recovery script and the pivot root failed (this is my own script and I hope it didn't fail because I screwed something up and it failed to properly recover the root partition).  They're going to hook up IP KVM for me later so I can troubleshoot it, but I may just have them shut it down if the hardware is so hosed that it will just corrupt the hard drives (more).  I hate doing data recovery. :(

Anyway, earlier this year the power supply died and I replaced it with what appeared a good power supply back in May.  Of course, it's possible that when it died it spiked 1st and did some damage that didn't surface until now.  I'll just list the current configuration, as well as I know it:

So is "server" hardware supposed to be more stable?  I know it's more expensive.  Maybe I should just invest in some real server hardware (if it isn't too expensive to do that).

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2009, 00:51:46 »
I agree with Titi. I don't know much about the motherboard, but I use AMD, and recommend it. My dad had a cheap intel and it was so slow. Speaking about that, make sure you have a surge protector. My dad's old computer's motherboard lost all control of its modem after a lightning storm fried it's motherboard!
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2009, 18:32:15 »
So is "server" hardware supposed to be more stable?  I know it's more expensive.  Maybe I should just invest in some real server hardware (if it isn't too expensive to do that).

I think its only more expensive :) . Server boards have ECC error checking for the rams and so on but I think they are too expensive for this. I myself have no experience with these kind of boards.

Its sad but normally the hardware starts to die typically after about 3 or 4 years. Maybe there are some good parts which lasts longer( CPU's!), but you never know what happens after this time. 3  years is the typical warrenty of the parts ( if they have a good warrenty ) and this is what most of  the parts are designed for. I hope you run a software raid with linux!? I saw too many people loosing all their data with a controller crash lately. The harddisks were ok, but unreadable in other systems..... 
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

anything