Poll

Do you think everyong should come together to produce a great mod?

Best Idea!
3 (23.1%)
Great Idea , let me finish my mod first.
5 (38.5%)
Possible to happen.
0 (0%)
Don't think it will happen.
5 (38.5%)
Don't really care.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Unite  (Read 5383 times)

Fluffy203

Unite
« on: 30 October 2009, 18:14:23 »
Ok i am throwing this out there cause i think it would be awesome to see , that everyone unite into one huge glest team to produce the best mod possible and i want to hear your opinions about it  ;D

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Unite
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2009, 18:36:46 »
I think we shouldn't do that until everyone on the boards has completed the mod they are working on.

If you want to do this, please do not start another mod after you finish the projects you are already working on.

I might do it, I don't know, but I do know as soon as I am done with the stuff I'm working on I won't be doing another mod for a while, I'll be working on my animating and texturing.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Fluffy203

« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2009, 18:44:08 »
lmfao i would like to see this done after i finish my mod cause it would be sweet to have one awesome mod from everyone

Loronal

« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2009, 18:48:45 »
Sick I'd like to see that. Right now I'm working on a naval scenario for gae.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2009, 18:50:23 »
Well, after you're done, you could help other people get their hands free.
Egypt Remastered!

Fluffy203

« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2009, 18:57:57 »
sweet naval i like the way that sounds =) and are you directing that towards me arch , if so yea i'm going to help darkmagic out since its my opposing faction , so once i have mine done , i'm jumping ship over there and hopefully , this can happen , i would just like to see what we could produce as a whole community  ;D

Zoythrus

« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2009, 21:07:13 »
as everyone knows, i can only do XMLs, but anyone who needs another coder is welcome to use me...

also, i would love to work on one giant mod...itd be cool!

Scenariole

« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2009, 21:11:52 »
We should atleast let people finish their current mods then work on this... Because my Ice Age one is like my star mod lol

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2009, 21:12:19 »
Please stop posting about your XML skills, I'm pretty sure everyone on the board can write XML...........
But if I ever need someone to code for me I'll ask you.
Egypt Remastered!

Zoythrus

« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2009, 21:15:12 »
sorry for "offending" you with my constant reminders that i am a free coder (probably the only one not working on a mod...)

Scenariole

« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2009, 21:15:20 »
I can code xml and at the same time do lua scenario's :P So ask for the package I offer XD

Zoythrus

« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2009, 21:31:22 »
hey, i am just trying to offer my services...

Mark

« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2009, 00:53:05 »
Please stop posting about your XML skills, I'm pretty sure everyone on the board can write XML...........
If swearing in frustration was a possibility on these boards I might.  When you only knew how to do XML you really seemed to be proud of it.  And seriously, if I had any mods that needed some XML I would give it right to him.  I mean, he isn't saying his is the best, so you have no reason to take offense, at least no good one.  And when he learns modeling, I will be happy to take time out of my day to test his mods.  Just let him be happy and be willing to help.  And seriously, he acknowledged that he stated it previously, so no need to attack it...

Alright.  I would love to get the whole community united, but there are innumerable problems.  First of all, everyone who has modeling skill is on a mod, and I doubt they will just put it away for the community's sake.  Second of all, when everyone finishes their mods, they will most likely either start work on a new one or stop modding.  So you will not be able to get the community together at one convenient time, you may be close, but not perfect.  Third, many people here have formed basic groups (which I like to call 'clans') of people they go to and ask for help or share things with.  This sense of loyalty reduces loyalty to the head of this giant project, so you will have schisms and divisions out the wazoo... You have seen how GLADE worked:  A few dedicated people persevered, while the others just signed up on a whim and quit without doing anything much.  I can name names, or you can all just see the infinite wisdom in my philosophy.  I offer my condolences on a try well conceived, but not one likely to work.  Just ask anyone with knowledge of how governments work, and you will understand what I am saying.  You would be much better off starting another team, or trying to finish GMD teams mod and getting a new one going.

Zoythrus

« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2009, 01:30:49 »
thank you Mark, i would work on one of your mods anytime!

i would get into modeling, but i have a problem with texturing (and yes, i tried the Blender tutorial...)

Mark

« Reply #14 on: 31 October 2009, 01:32:57 »
thank you Mark, i would work on one of your mods anytime!
At the moment I have none.  I am going to start a project that will require LUA scripting after GLADE finishes Dark Magic.  Maybe then you can help me if you know LUA.

Scenariole

« Reply #15 on: 31 October 2009, 02:12:40 »
If its scenario's I can help. I know most of the lua functions for scenarios

Zoythrus

« Reply #16 on: 31 October 2009, 02:17:50 »
not too big on lua, but i plan on taking a class for it...

(now i feel so worthless  :-[)

modman

« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2009, 02:54:08 »
Hmmm, I do seem to remember that this was the whole purpose of GLADE. ::)  Let's assess in short a relevant history of modding teams so far.

Febuary 1, 2009
I want to start an group to improve Glest. The GLest Association of Developement Enthusiasts or Glade, will focus on one faction to add to magitech and of ways to improve the existing factions official or otherwise. This group could also include The GAE team but that is for the leader to decide.
So is this a good idea, and who's joining?
This topic died rather quickly.  It is unfortunate, because Gameboy was the one who thought of the idea, or was the first to write it on the forums here.  He also came up with a cool name.

May 31, 2009
John.d.h will head a team whose sole purpose is in creating high quality Glest factions and faction groups.  This means that there needs to be a specific person assigned to be a coordinator, and others to work on mini projects related to the mod we would be working on at the time.  If someone is to be in the group, their projects would either need to be completed on time, or handed off to another person so they can work on it.  Each project would be given a generous time line, so that those outside can know exactly when each project is expected to be finished.
I proposed my team, which was more organized, and thus achieved more momentum.  Arch, if you wonder why GLADE has more momentum, it is because it is so organized.

June 15, 2009
This is the topic for all discussion of the GLADE team or of any discussion related to Dark Magic itself.  All work should be posted here, and all work can be kept track of here.  I will also try to keep track of the progress of the project on this post; and all files will be hyperlinked from here, so that someone can compile it.  I think that compiling the faction at the very end is probably the czar's job, since he will need to make the final OK for the faction to be completed.
I put forth a topic exclusive to discussion of the faction we work on, which is promptly stickied.

September 12, 2009
Glest Moding Team Development Team
Members:
  • Archmage101, Every thing modeler, XML artist.
  • Eliminator, Captain, Every thing modeler, XML artist.
  • Fluffy203, Every thing modeler.
  • Tiger, Building modeler.
  • Scenariole, scenario and map maker.
Archmage 101 (then) proposes his competition, placing himself in a leadership role by design.  The team takes hold in his clique of the forum, and progress begins.

October 30, 2009
Ok i am throwing this out there cause i think it would be awesome to see , that everyone unite into one huge glest team to produce the best mod possible and i want to hear your opinions about it  ;D
Fluffy203, naively or not, proposes another group which would transcend previous groups.  Given the history, I see it so unlikely it makes me chuckle.  Users on this forum have different interests in mods because of their personalities.  The users who value more quality gravitate towards GLADE.  Users who like to see progress quickly like GMD.  Unless someone can figure out a way to combine the two polar opposite values, one side will get bored with the lack of progress, or another side will become frusterated with lack in quality, concept, or design.

I tried to set up a fool-proof system on my initial proposal for a team.  There was a heirarchy, designed to manage more people than there are now on GLADE.  Since I couldn't think of a way to integrate anxious people into my team, I intentionally excluded any system to deal with them.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2009, 04:05:54 »
Yes, Modman has a point.
We should get rid of the GMD team, it's a mess. Although I'd like to keep the maps, tilesets, scenarios branch because I organized that and it came out properly.

Arch, if you wonder why GLADE has more momentum, it is because it is so organized.

No I have never wondered, I already knew the answer.

The problem with GMD, is everyone "took off without their seat beats fastened" sort of speak. I really prefer the way the GLADE Team does things, but I figured I'd stick with GMD and try to shape it into something good, but I don't think it will ever get to something as good as I hoped for.

I'm going to quit GMD, because I liked GLADE much better, and GLADE produces great stuff, but GMD productions are well........not good.

September 12, 2009
Quote from: ElimiNator on September 13, 2009, 01:02:26
Glest Moding Team Development Team
Members:

* Archmage101, Every thing modeler, XML artist.
    * Eliminator, Captain, Every thing modeler, XML artist.
    * Fluffy203, Every thing modeler.
    * Tiger, Building modeler.
    * Scenariole, scenario and map maker.

Archmage 101 (then) proposes his competition, placing himself in a leadership role by design.  The team takes hold in his clique of the forum, and progress begins.

That, I believe was very successful compared to GMD, even though it is........was a GMD branch.

Fluffy203, naively or not, proposes another group which would transcend previous groups.  Given the history, I see it so unlikely it makes me chuckle.  Users on this forum have different interests in mods because of their personalities.  The users who value more quality gravitate towards GLADE.  Users who like to see progress quickly like GMD.  Unless someone can figure out a way to combine the two polar opposite values, one side will get bored with the lack of progress, or another side will become frusterated with lack in quality, concept, or design.

Yeah, this won't go anywhere Fluff.........

Most people are busy, and quite a few(Modman being one) will not think this is a good idea.
What I said in earlier posts was based on hope not logic and reality

Just so everyone knows, I was already tipping back toward GLADE, and Modman "tipped the scale" sort of speak.

Quote from: -Archmage- on Today at 17:17:07
If swearing in frustration was a possibility on these boards I might.  When you only knew how to do XML you really seemed to be proud of it.  And seriously, if I had any mods that needed some XML I would give it right to him.  I mean, he isn't saying his is the best, so you have no reason to take offense, at least no good one.  And when he learns modeling, I will be happy to take time out of my day to test his mods.  Just let him be happy and be willing to help.  And seriously, he acknowledged that he stated it previously, so no need to attack it...

How was a attacking him? I was merely stating that he was posting it a lot, I know I did too when I learned XML, but I was younger, and naive back then. I'm hoping Zoythrus and others will learn from me doing that.
Egypt Remastered!

Fluffy203

« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2009, 12:05:12 »
lol worth a shot to see who wants to do it or not   ;D

Mark

« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2009, 13:22:56 »
Quote from: -Archmage- on Today at 17:17:07
How was a attacking him? I was merely stating that he was posting it a lot, I know I did too when I learned XML, but I was younger, and naive back then. I'm hoping Zoythrus and others will learn from me doing that.
I think that it was an attack on how you are telling him to stop advertising his skill.  I never said you attacked him, I said this:
so no need to attack it...
Think of 'it' as different than 'zoythrus'.  I knew exactly what you would say had I said you were attacking him, so I said you were attacking it, it being how he advertised his XML skill.  Furthermore, I am surprised you make the same reply when my response never implied you attacking him personally. :P

I think that this project has good intentions, but it is in no way going to pass the test of time.  People just aren't like that, from the looks of Glade, Gameboy's team and from Archmage's opinion about GMD.  I would love to know what was going on in GMD so I could moderate it and set it on track, but I guess that was what Archmage was trying to do.  If some of the people that had signed up for GLADE stuck around a little longer, Glade might be done by now.

Do you know what this whole ordeal reminds me of?  It reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire.  No one take offense, but the Eastern Roman Empire, (In this case GLADE) survived by being organized and tactful.  And from what Archmage says and what i gather from the topic, GMD team could represent the Western Half, fallen into disarray because of disunity.  This is like real life where the western half was taken over by many germanic and other foreign tribes, and fell into disarray as each one tried to accomplish there own agenda, and some could say they do it well, but others would say there is room for organizational improvement.  And the Eastern half of the roman empire didn't fall until much later in 1453 because it was not overly ambitious and kept plodding through difficulties, like GLADE.  This is purely my opinion, and I know I am partially uninformed on the various factors that contributed to GLADE and GMD as we know it.

modman

« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2009, 14:47:47 »
This topic can be used to come to a conclusion.

In my opinion, GLADE is more suited to what we want the final output to be: high-quality, well though out factions.  For this reason, I believe it is the only worth-while mod team to be a member of.  Additionally, if more people join GLADE, we can continue using trial and error, and if we get more trial, we can create quality faster.  Thus, it would benefit all of Glest development if GMD would be concatenated into GLADE, while keeping the highly-structured leadership initially conceptualized.  Comments?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: 31 October 2009, 15:07:23 »
I going back to GLADE.

Although, about my GMD branch in the Maps, Tilesets, and Scenarios board......can we change that to be a GLADE branch?
Egypt Remastered!

Fluffy203

« Reply #23 on: 2 November 2009, 22:45:56 »
I agree now that glade would be the best way to get great mods with well thought ideas  ;D

modman

« Reply #24 on: 3 November 2009, 02:05:29 »
Well, I'll start a topic discussing whether GLADE should do things besides mods.