Author Topic: Is your Glest sluggish? Solution available! --Linux--  (Read 2440 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Is your Glest sluggish? Solution available! --Linux--
« on: 11 November 2009, 01:58:31 »
You may notice In the later Ubuntu(and variants), that Glest can run extremely sluggish!
I have integrated graphics, I don't know about other people, so my graphics isn't that good without a good driver, and I ran into a solution, in about 2 minutes!

Solution:

Open the menu.
-Select the "Applications" tab.
--Select the "System" Submenu.
---Select the "Hardware Drivers" application.

It will ask you for the sudo password.
-Enter it.
--Select the "OK" button.

A window will open that says something like: "Scanning for available drivers that match your hardware".
-Wait until that window disappears, and then another window will pop up.
--The window will have a display of available drivers for your system, select the one that says recommended, if none say that, then select the one that looks the best.
---If the recommended one is already active, a green filled in circle will be next to it, if the circle is gray then it is not active.
----After you've selected a driver click "Activate".
-----After you click the activate button, it might tell you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

And............YOUR DONE!

Have fun playing Glest!
« Last Edit: 11 November 2009, 02:10:04 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Is your Glest sluggish? Solution available! --Linux--
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2009, 21:16:52 »
In otherwords use the proprietary drivers from nVidia or ATI, not the default built-in drivers in Linux. That applies to all 3Dgames, but especially 3D accelerated games which work much better using native drivers.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2009, 21:26:45 »
Yah, basically.
All 3D games on both my linux computers don't play well at all without using proprietary drivers.
Although as I said, I have integrated graphics, so for you people with graphics cards, you probably have a good driver by default.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 November 2009, 00:41:32 »
Integrated or not... Linux (out of the box) usually does not come with propietary drivers.. at least in Ubuntu you must explicitly pick it whether you have a dedicated card or Integrated card.

But your comment will likely help a lot of linux users who didn't know to turn on the "restricted drivers" package.

anything