Author Topic: License fee for commercial derivative from glest ?  (Read 5785 times)

jasonlai1975

License fee for commercial derivative from glest ?
« on: 30 January 2005, 12:46:25 »
I just download glest sourcecode from sourceforge.net .I noticed that glest is released under the GPL license.Would it be possible to create commercial rts game (for a small fee) based on glest source code and does glest team impose any license fee,royalities  or restriction if i wish to commercialize my glest mod ?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by jasonlai1975 »

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2005, 14:12:54 »
Hi,

The GPL license allows to make modifications of the souce code and charge a fee for the physical act of redistributing it, but with many conditions, the most important one is that you have to redistribute all the source code of your app, and that anyone can redistribute it for free.

So there are 3 situations:

a) You want to modify Glest source code, redistibute it charging a fee, and you don't care if you have to include the source (our code and your modifications) and allow free redistribution of your modification.

You can do that right now, using the Glest source code currently available.

b) You want to make a mod of the game without modifying the source code and charge a fee for it.

You can do it right now, you just have to include in separate packages our game and your mod, and tell people to install our game and then apply your mod.

c) You want to modify Glest source code and make a proprietary application based on it.

You can't without speaking with us, of course we could reach an agreement and license you the code for this purpose.

Regards. Martin-o.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

Hande

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2005, 09:47:08 »
Quote from: "martin-o"
c) You want to modify Glest source code and make a proprietary application based on it.

You can't without speaking with us, of course we could reach an agreement and license you the code for this purpose.

Pero si el juego esta- bajo licencia GPL se puede hacer eso? quiero decir aunque hable con vosotros la licencia no obliga a que sea SIEMPRE GPL?

Lo pregunto, que no estoy muy enterao del tema.

PD: excelente trabajo con este juego gente, voy a ver si puedo ayudar en algo, aunke *so-lo* le falta juego en red (lan) y seguro que la cosa seri-a muy diferente!!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Hande »

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2005, 18:44:23 »
Si que obliga. La GPL obliga a que todos los trabajos derivados sean GPL a su vez.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

anything