Author Topic: A HUGE mod  (Read 4048 times)

hungeri

A HUGE mod
« on: 12 December 2009, 10:42:12 »
Hi guys what about a large mod with multiple factions and story mode ?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: A HUGE mod
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2009, 14:46:39 »
There are compilations of factions, but unfortunately no story mode.

I recommend the Megapack, because it has multiple wel-done factions, and a few maps, scenarios, and tilesets.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

hungeri

« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2009, 15:48:35 »
err i meant i want to make one :D
You know unique story ,  factions , design , loading screen - ^^ -  etc .......
So , someone intrested ? :]
« Last Edit: 12 December 2009, 15:50:43 by Geri »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2009, 16:00:06 »
What are you're skills?
Egypt Remastered!

hungeri

« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2009, 16:25:29 »
Well There isn't so many .... I've used GMAX - similar to 3DS MAX - so ive got some modelling skills but i have to learn how to use the Blender .... also i can handle the GIMP so i an make textures too ..... And i have some coding experince too - i played the glest and i tried to get in new units building etc- so my knowledge is about to make factions etc ..... ooohhh and i learn fast :D I think XD
« Last Edit: 12 December 2009, 16:29:21 by Geri »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2009, 16:32:33 »
Good, you're not a hopeless newbie.
You're someone that has some experience, and a will to learn.

Just learn how to use Blender, and LUA code, and you can probably do this project, although it'll probably take you a very long time!
Egypt Remastered!

hungeri

« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2009, 16:39:51 »
Ohh thx :D well ive modded the BFME series and ive got some experince from there ..... well i often bored - even i play mmorpgs - and i want to make an OWN fantasy world and an Own fantasy game ..... so i want to make a very large mod what can even  rise into something large ... frist i want to make the my first faction ..... the Orcs - i think they're not mentioned before .....

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2009, 17:47:41 »
You can try to do that but a lot of pepple have said thay want to something like this and after wile thay disapere.
And you don't need to learn blender if you don't want, 3DX Max can be used if you get the G3D export script. But I don't think its avalible for the newer virsons of 3DX Max. But Fluffy Is working on a mod with me and he uses 3DX Max.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2009, 21:44:02 »
New content is always welcome, but I would suggest starting off by concentrating on something smaller, and then adding to it, rather than trying to do something huge all at once.  I've been working on a pretty big mod (Sun and Moon) for quite a while and I've been tempted to give up, but once I decided to focus on just two factions instead of four, it became a lot less daunting.

I'm pretty sure that new load screens are possible, but there isn't really a "story mode" in Glest yet.  Currently the closest thing is just to make a bunch of scenarios and number them.  That way, the player will know what order to play them in order, but there's nothing stopping them from playing them out of sequence.

Regarding 3DS vs. Blender, Blender is definitely the way to go unless you already have a copy of 3DS and know how to use it.  There's no point in spending hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars on it when you can get Blender for free.  Also, almost everyone on the forum uses Blender, so there are fewer problems with sharing/collaborating if you use Blender.

Are you planning on doing this whole mod yourself?  If so, you'll need to know modeling, texturing, animating, XML, and Lua.  Fortunately, you already know how to use the GIMP, so texturing should be no problem, and XML is very easy to learn (at least enough for Glest-related purposes).  I really have no idea how much of your skill from GMAX will carry over to Blender, but just the fact that you have modeling experience should help a lot.

Since you're starting off with Orcs, is this going to be the usual Tolkien-style high fantasy sort of thing?

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what you can create.

hungeri

« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2009, 23:24:17 »
Well first of all i want to make the Orc faction for glest - like others make elves , goblin , even persians :D - and - if i have enough time and mood  for it -  i'll make more factions.
2.I want to do the first steps alone.If the mod become popular and people want to help me ... welll ..... so be it :D
3.I know the XML stuff is pretty easy :D I can get hacked  3DS max but ive decided i only use free programs ^^

These orcs ... well .... they are even from warcraft than Tolkien's .... They are greenskins , powerfull , berserking creatures.They good in meele combat.Their allies - the Ogres - are pretty cheap and even stronger than any orc.Their final ally will be the Thunderbirds.These lighting-eagles are the air units of the faction.

I havent detailed the story but i've think about the orcs .... Once they were huge nomadic barbarians  and they were enslaved by the people called dark elves . The Dark Elves are underground ones and they took the "orcs" with themsels . The elves can used magic to prevent their skin became pale and green but the orcs cant......Once ,  the orcs started a rebellion and they shattered their chains .... they fled and , from now , they feared the dark magic alon the dark elves tooo ....

And it is a litle bit of the story XD
« Last Edit: 12 December 2009, 23:36:29 by Geri »

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2009, 00:09:44 »
Too ambitious. Why not help the modders finish Ice Age or Dark Magic? There are at least a half dozen unfinished factions on this board. Pick one.

Make a tileset. Tilesets alter the glest world in profound ways. Have you seen the Easter Island monoliths in Tropical? or the awesome STC5 texture in Mediterranean? Swamp is sooo atmospheric and all wciow did was combine proper lighting and fog XML settings with excellent color choices. Volcanic is pretty darn cool and Moon could be incredible with a few more additions.

Challenge:
Design a tileset, write a storyline and screenplay(game script) and incorporate all those elements in a multi-threaded lua scenario.
Seems easy to do but it isn't.

I will make this offer. If you succeed in making this HUGE mod - I will give you my WoW account with no strings attached.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2009, 00:11:25 by Trappin »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2009, 00:24:17 »
Oh, so are you planning a Dark Elves faction as well?  I had been thinking about making one for a while now.  Maybe when I'm done with Sun and Moon and you're done with your first faction, we can collaborate a bit.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2009, 09:18:44 »
Umm, I've actually been working on an Orc mod for a few weeks now. I was keeping it quiet until I had at least a playable version.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

hungeri

« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2009, 13:21:12 »
OK....
Trappin :
I also thought about that im need to practice a bit ... well i can do something for you but it wont be a challange because im sometimes a little bit lazy and i do it just for fun.
The storyline's first section  - we can call "campaign" - will be the orcs escape , and the story of their allies , finally they will nearly annihilate the dark elves - oooops spoiler srry :D - .
I dont decided the tileset yet , but i propably make some kind of jungle , swampland or forested one ....
Ohh idea : i'll make unique plants and animals .... i think it can very increase the athmoshphere - bah spelling - I dont seen wciow's but i'll check it out :)
And what is it about that WoW account ;)
John.d.h
Yes i planning along with other 10-12 factions XD There well be demons , undead , some kind of japanese or chinese culture , hihg tech aztec like ones , high and woodelves , reptiles and more ^^ If i'll have mood for it and i dont be lazy . I dont planned the dark elves particulary so i  loved to collaborate some ;)
wciow
Tell me more about them :D Anyways im run low of ideas :)

hungeri

« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2009, 13:42:54 »
Ive seen wciow's swamp in the meanwhile and its awesome :O A question : Is there anybody in the forum who have the idea of making Interface textures - you know some texture under the buttons and the map - ?

hungeri

« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2010, 16:43:50 »
I was stayed quiet for some time ,  - i was busy a little bit -  , but i thinked about things and now i have an annouance : I need a modeller . Anyone welcome . Advantages :  if you can handle blander good - you can teach me xD - , patiance .

I can't do everything all alone.So if smoebody intrested ,  pm me , write email , or just reply this on the post .
:D

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2010, 05:55:13 »
I planned out the Dark Elf tech tree, but I don't really have time right now to do another mod since I'm working on one of my own.  I might be able to pitch in a model or two when I'm done with the faction I'm working on right now, but that might take a long time.  If you just need help learning Blender, then I'm sure you can find plenty of help here.  How good are your modeling skills already?

hungeri

« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2010, 18:36:06 »
Well with gmax i was at the border of "scrathc" modelling  ( i dont know its real name , it is when you make example a human body from a cube or a head from an orb or sphere ) but i stoped bfme modding.With blender im a really beginner . I understand what's what but i cant find a lot of thing and anyway i need someone's help   :)

anything