Author Topic: GAE Features/Bugs  (Read 1609 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
GAE Features/Bugs
« on: 18 December 2009, 15:49:03 »
I think this should be the place to post new features you would like to see in GAE, and a place where you can post problems/bugs.

Post, and I'll add them to the list.
Features:

-(AI) I'd like the AI to defend themselves and their allies above any offensive actions.

-(AI) When multiple forces are attacking/defending, I'd like allies to split their troops into groups and support all of their allies.

Bugs/Problems: (red= problems)-(green= solutions)

-(Pathfinder) Sometimes when you tell (a) unit(s) to move somewhere one unit goes off in a random direction, and takes this extremely long path all around the map then goes to the spot where you told them to move. That unit usually ends up stirring up other teams.

-If the AI doesn't know where you are, why do they send a searcher right at your camp.
--Have the AI send searchers to random locations, or have them send searchers to locations near their enemies camp but never at it.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
Re: GAE Features/Bugs
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2009, 23:36:34 »
Why not use the ticket system in trac:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/

Your feature requests are way too general. How should it work? On which basis should it decide what to do? In both cases you didn't make any suggestion.

@pathfinder bug: There's already a related bugreport:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/ticket/23

On a side note i don't think anybody is currently working on AI. silnarm works on pathfinder but i think nobody on AI in general.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2009, 00:02:43 »
Why not use the ticket system in trac:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/

That's just one more things I always have to look at, and I don't really understand the tracker system, how does it work?

Your feature requests are way too general. How should it work? On which basis should it decide what to do? In both cases you didn't make any suggestion.

We can come up with specifics, if we think it would be a good feature to add, otherwise the specifics just clutter up the post.

@pathfinder bug: There's already a related bugreport:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/glestae/ticket/23

That's not the same...that's where units will just stop, I'm talking about units moving off and taking an enormous path around the whole map.
Egypt Remastered!

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2009, 01:22:30 »
-(Pathfinder) Sometimes when you tell (a) unit(s) to move somewhere one unit goes off in a random direction, and takes this extremely long path all around the map then goes to the spot where you told them to move. That unit usually ends up stirring up other teams.
This is probably due to the node limit.  Their wont be a node limit soon, so this one should take care of itself in due course.

-If the AI doesn't know where you are, why do they send a searcher right at your camp.
--Have the AI send searchers to random locations, or have them send searchers to locations near their enemies camp but never at it.
The AI sends scouts to random positions near random start locations.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me, the human player is almost certain to know the map quite well.  An option down the track to have the AI 'know the map' or not would be nice.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2009, 13:46:32 »
The AI sends scouts to random positions near random start locations.  Seems perfectly reasonable to me, the human player is almost certain to know the map quite well.  An option down the track to have the AI 'know the map' or not would be nice.

The whole point of the scout is to find out where the enemy is, if they already know why do they send the scout? ::)
Egypt Remastered!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2009, 18:37:11 »
Actually, they send scouts to all of the starting locations if I remember correctly... If you play with fog of war off, you'll notice that computer units go wandering off in empty spaces where there is no player.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2009, 18:51:52 »
No with Fog of War off, the teams just attack without sending a searcher, sometimes they do send one though.........
The problem is that they know all the possible locations of their adversaries(and a stupid thing they do is send (a) scout(s) to their allie's camp(s)).

I actually think that the whole way the AI plays is rediculous, the AI uses absolutely no stategy or trickery, but they can produce stuff fast.
I know that re-writing the AI to function better, would be hard and time-consuming, but I think it's a big issue!
Egypt Remastered!