Author Topic: Mod Concept: African Kingdoms  (Read 10070 times)

Tyrannosaurus

Mod Concept: African Kingdoms
« on: 19 February 2010, 20:31:47 »
This is a concept for a mod featuring three pre-colonial African cultures: the Egyptians, the Mandinka, and the Zulu. Unfortunately, I have no modding skills of my own, so this may have to remain on the drawing board.  :-[

The Egyptians

The ancient Egyptians of northeastern Africa's Nile Valley were perhaps the most influential of all African peoples. In the mod, they have strong archers, durable buildings, and fast stone-gathering rates. Unfortunately, they are slow at gathering wood and have weak infantry.

Buildings

Palace: Trains peasants and stores resources.
Farm: Trains cattle, a food animal.
Fortress: Trains military units and shoots arrows at enemies.
Temple: Trains priests and researches upgrades.

Units

Peasant: Gatherer and builder.
Nile Axeman: Infantry. Counters cavalry.
Medjay: Archer. Counters infantry.
Chariot: Cavalry. Counters archers.
Priest: Healer. Can also summon animals to fight for you for a price.
Hippo: Summoned by priest; effective against cavalry.
Spitting Cobra: Summoned by priest; effective against infantry.
Leopard: Summoned by priest; effective against archers.

The Mandinka

The Mandinka are the people who built the west African kingdom of Mali, which was famous for its wealth and training of scholars at the Sankore University of Timbuktu. The Mandinka have strong cavalry, fast gold-gathering rates, and cheap, fast technological upgrading. On the downside, they have weak archers and slow stone-gathering rates.

Buildings

Palace: Trains slaves and stores resources.
Farm: Trains cattle, a food animal.
Barracks: Trains military units.
University: Trains scholars and researches upgrades.

Units

Slave: Gatherer and builder.
Kele-koun Swordsman: Infantry. Counters cavalry.
Soninke: Archer. Counters infantry.
Ton-Tigi: Cavalry. Counters archers.
Scholar: Healer. Cannot fight or summon animals, but is much better at healing than the healer units of the other factions.

The Zulu

The Zulu were a warlike people from southern Africa noteworthy for their sophisticated military organization. The Zulu have strong infantry and wood-gathering rates, and their infantry and archers are capable of gathering resources and building. However, Zulu cavalry is weak, and their gold-gathering is slower.

Buildings

Village: Stores resources.
Paddock: Trains cattle, a food animal.
Ikhanda: Trains military units.
Witch Doctor's Hut: Trains witch doctors and researches upgrades.

Units

Impi Spearman: Infantry. Counters cavalry. Can also build and gather resources.
Assegai Javelineer: Archer. Counters infantry. Can also build and gather resources.
Zebra Rider: Cavalry. Counters archers.
Witch Doctor: Healer. Also can hit his enemies with a staff and shoot fireballs.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Mod Concept: African Kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2010, 20:43:46 »
Wow, nice work putting this together, I think your Egyptians faction has a great setup although I would add a few more units of my own...... ;D

If you put together some XMLs I would be willing to help you with the 3D graphics. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Tyrannosaurus

« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2010, 20:44:54 »
Wow, nice work putting this together, I think your Egyptians faction has a great setup although I would add a few more units of my own...... ;D

If you put together some XMLs I would be willing to help you with the 3D graphics. ;)

I'll have to do some reading on how to edit glest XML files first.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2010, 21:03:43 »
Unfortunately, I have no modding skills of my own
>:(

Gabbe

« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2010, 21:05:44 »

Are you angry D.H?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2010, 21:17:52 »
Pet peeve of mine: people posting ideas for a mod expecting other people to make it for them, with no ability or intention to do any work themselves.

If Tyrannosaurus plans on learning to model, texture, and animate, then great.  I wish the best of luck and I'll be glad to point him/her toward some helpful modding tutorials.  If not, then not so great.

Gabbe

« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2010, 22:47:37 »
When i postes my first mod, wich has died and i hope it to get deleted, i had intention in learning C++ Boo Java Python and all script languages that existed on earth, i found it very hard at first, but now i got a somewhat understanding of it ;) But nvm, Tyranno shoudl atleast do the Texturing XML or something, my new Amazons mod, is going to be entirely made by me, then i can learn how Glest is built and hopefully become one of you huge posters who have (atleast it looks like) been part of glest for years and giot a great understanding of how it is built and have MANY mods :)

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2010, 23:40:56 »
For the record Tyranno, I'm not trying to discourage you from making this mod.  I'm just saying that IF this mod is going to get made, you're going to have to learn all the necessary skills for yourself.  The Glest community is here to help you if you want to learn, but it's going to be a lot of work.

Leonard

« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2010, 18:15:01 »
Those factions will have their own Techtree, right  ??? If so it's gonna be the most well balanced one i have ever seen around  :) I really liked that idea, but it would be even better if you find a tilest that fits and good unit models  ;) Keep the dream alive 8)

So many smileys...

Gabbe

« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2010, 18:32:58 »
Concerning tileset, i don`t think mediterran would fit, africa is after all, desert and jungle, yeah, a new tileset will be necesarry

About units, hes modeling them on his own, or with others help, if he can`t model his own, turbosquid.com is a good spot looking for free and not free models...

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2010, 18:56:24 »
This is a well thought out mod. Kudos for actually doing some research before posting. As John said alot of posts on here are along the lines of "I want a mod about xyz please make it for me".

My only reservation is that we already have an egyptian faction for Glest and its actually quite good. However your idea seems to be a little more realistic as the current Egypt faction has mummies and giant scarabs.

I would really like to see this made well  :)
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Gabbe

« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2010, 19:00:39 »
I say the previous Egypt faction is ... ... for ... kids.... it`s all like... you know... kids stuff... 6 years old kids...

I say this faction is Realistic, and i think it is mostly intended for a adult.. and not for the... hrm... kids...

(Im 14, but i see my intellect as if i were adult)

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2010, 19:16:04 »
I say the previous Egypt faction is ... ... for ... kids.... it`s all like... you know... kids stuff... 6 years old kids...
I disagree... I'd say the Farmer faction would be for kids. (No Offense V. brothers) Cause it's a good thing too... Besides the word "kids" can be a vague term.  ::)

I say this faction is Realistic, and i think it is mostly intended for a adult.. and not for the... hrm... kids...
Again "kids" is vague, and... we'll see.  ::)  :P

(Im 14, but i see my intellect as if i were adult)
Like a lot of people.  :P

Gabbe

« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2010, 19:50:56 »
There is a lot of stupid adults aswell, and im hitting high grades in all of my subjects.

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2010, 19:56:07 »
There is a lot of stupid adults aswell, and im hitting high grades in all of my subjects.
Yeah  :( ,
that's nice to hear.  :)
That's life though.  :P

End of OT.  :D

Gabbe

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2010, 17:09:28 »
this kinda got lost, though it is great project, who wants to take on the job?

wyvern

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2010, 17:28:36 »
This is a great idea but egypt is already made though it could have more historical units and the other two are hard to expand factions and the current techtree is insufficient

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2010, 17:36:09 »
If it's any consolation, one of my factions for Solunar is based partly on the Zulu... but it'll be a long time before it gets made.