Author Topic: Support Power system for Glest  (Read 5127 times)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: Support Power system for Glest
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2010, 05:52:38 »
the only problem is that we want to edit in a power not a unit but that could always be a fallback
What do you mean?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

jacko161

« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2010, 05:53:38 »
If you read above they were talking about editing in a sort of suicide unit that would kill itself and do splash damage but i want to edit in a power that doesn't require spawning a unit

sand_drew

« Reply #27 on: 24 February 2010, 05:58:57 »
It might be that, unfortunately, we'll have to make a unit to create the power/s we were thinking of Jacko.

I'm not sure but from what I can see, making an ability to do that isn't possible within Glest.

And for clarification, he means something you can access from the interface without having to build a building or unit to trigger, apart from acquiring tech to allow for it's use.

jacko161

« Reply #28 on: 24 February 2010, 05:59:55 »
Oh ok well i kind of understand now

Gabbe

« Reply #29 on: 24 February 2010, 06:45:26 »
OT: nice pic archmage, and soon you will have 3000 posts :O

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #30 on: 24 February 2010, 07:26:59 »
Please don't post only OT(remember, I the mighty Lu Bu will crush you if you continue to do so ;D). :P

I see what you mean, like a button you push to send in the spastic dynamite man ;D! He runs in dives and boom. Well, he would have to be spawned, and the AI would probably wipe themselves out! :D
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 24 February 2010, 07:58:20 »
Not if it is the attack skill, so you guys want to make a guy that explodes giving damage to all units in a certain range and he dies? If so, I think I know how you could do it.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Hectate

« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2010, 01:28:48 »
You mean that you want a unit to have this attack ability, rather than having a separate unit to do the attack?

Edit: Sorry, didn't see page 2 at all.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2010, 01:30:57 by Hectate »

phantomfordy

« Reply #33 on: 25 February 2010, 02:24:55 »
You mean that you want a unit to have this attack ability, rather than having a separate unit to do the attack?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what Jacko wants, any ideas on we could do that in XML?

sand_drew

« Reply #34 on: 25 February 2010, 02:29:51 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what Jacko wants, any ideas on we could do that in XML?

I think it's more along the lines of a button usable in the interface, but as a I stated before I would assume that that's not possible and the closest we could get to that would be to give a unit or building a button to use said ability.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2010, 02:36:32 by sand_drew »

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25 February 2010, 02:32:45 »
I would assume that that';s not possible and the closest we could get to that would be to give a unit or building a button to use said ability.
Correct.

Hectate

« Reply #36 on: 25 February 2010, 02:54:43 »
If you have a "castle" unit, that's a good place to have these sort of "player" abilities. Even in C&C, you had to have certain structures to use these super attacks (nuke, ion cannon, etc). For Glest the castle (or a similar useful structure) is the ideal place to add this attack skill and command.

The downside is that Glest would require the player to select that unit/structure before the command's button becomes available to them. Unless you mod Glest's code to allow a new shortcut to that command or add "universal" player commands, it'll be awkward to use.

sand_drew

« Reply #37 on: 25 February 2010, 03:11:15 »
If you have a "castle" unit, that's a good place to have these sort of "player" abilities. Even in C&C, you had to have certain structures to use these super attacks (nuke, ion cannon, etc). For Glest the castle (or a similar useful structure) is the ideal place to add this attack skill and command.

The downside is that Glest would require the player to select that unit/structure before the command's button becomes available to them. Unless you mod Glest's code to allow a new shortcut to that command or add "universal" player commands, it'll be awkward to use.

Well, in the terms of the usage of the power I was thinking similar to Age of Mythology with its god powers. However, I accept that the code might not allow for such an interface and that tying such a power to the HQ building is our best solution.

phantomfordy

« Reply #38 on: 25 February 2010, 03:32:01 »

Well, in the terms of the usage of the power I was thinking similar to Age of Mythology with its god powers. However, I accept that the code might not allow for such an interface and that tying such a power to the HQ building is our best solution.

Is it possible to have to have it so that you can build units and purchase ability's when no units/buildings are selected?

sand_drew

« Reply #39 on: 25 February 2010, 03:50:07 »
Assuming Glest follows the same control scheme as any other RTS, which it does, I would assume you cannot perform those actions unless the required building/unit is selected, Fordy.

Hectate

« Reply #40 on: 25 February 2010, 04:11:17 »
No, that's what I was referring to when I spoke of coding into the engine "universal player abilities". In Glest, all actions that effect units are processed as a skill (or series of skills) in a unit's XML and combined with a command - also in the unit's XML. Without a unit selected, Glest has no XML (and thus no skills and commands) to display to the player.

The only power the player has is to move the view, select units, and then issue any commands currently available to that (or those) unit(s). You can no more issue an "attack" without a unit (and one with an attack command at that!) than you could run a computer without a motherboard or CPU.

Yes, changes would be required and I don't know how much those changes would require.

phantomfordy

« Reply #41 on: 26 February 2010, 03:16:14 »
No, that's what I was referring to when I spoke of coding into the engine "universal player abilities". In Glest, all actions that effect units are processed as a skill (or series of skills) in a unit's XML and combined with a command - also in the unit's XML. Without a unit selected, Glest has no XML (and thus no skills and commands) to display to the player.

The only power the player has is to move the view, select units, and then issue any commands currently available to that (or those) unit(s). You can no more issue an "attack" without a unit (and one with an attack command at that!) than you could run a computer without a motherboard or CPU.

Yes, changes would be required and I don't know how much those changes would require.

Oh I see, toss that plan in the bin  :-X

anything