Author Topic: New project please  (Read 4450 times)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
New project please
« on: 24 February 2010, 11:59:27 »
I'm looking to start or collaborate on a new project for Glest.  ;D

I've tried to start several on my own but have run out of enthusiasm and so currently have two half finished, half assed, unreleased projects sitting on my drives.  :(

I've also wanted to join in some of the recently posted projects (avatar/african kingdoms) but the post authors just disappear after postingthe original idea.

If anyone is serious about creating a new faction for Glest and is willing to see it through then let me know. I can provide the modding skill but I need an idea to work from and people to contribute and encourage.

Suggestions please...
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: New project please
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2010, 12:54:13 »
If you're willing to aim a little lower, I'd be very interested in collaborating on a campaign.

Magitech based, but if I had an artist on board some new units would be nice.

I've been playing with a few ideas, and similar to the position you find yourself in, have a bunch code comprising zero complete scenarios and a general lack of enthusiasm to continue.  I'd be willing to "push" you along, if you'll push me :)
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2010, 17:12:59 »
Well, as you know I've been wanting to construct a more historical Romans faction, maybe you could help there. :)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2010, 18:33:03 »
There is a Rome faction already, no need for one more.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2010, 20:20:38 »
No actually it is not a Roman faction, it's a fantasy roman faction, that really needs to be thrown away and redone, no offense Eliminator, but I haven't even played Fantasy Romans in months it's just no fun at all, makes me feel like a 2 year old, just face it the Fantasy Romans faction is pretty bad, maybe not compared to other mods, but still.....
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2010, 23:20:30 »
Erm, I guess that means you're really done with the Dwarf faction...?  :-\
Well, it's mainly patching things up, at least for now...
But of course, you don't need to be told you'd be welcome! :P

P.s.: You droped that other faction that would have gone so well against the dwarves? :(

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2010, 23:30:41 »
There hasn't really been a complete and successful sci-fi mod yet, so maybe you could go that route.  The campaign idea sounds like it would be a useful contribution if there were a campaign support in GAE.  *hint hint*

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #7 on: 24 February 2010, 23:42:21 »
wciow - the links you provide for the Swamp tileset show no files in the shared download folder.

What happened to Ice Age? There was a flurry of activity and then it fell off the front page - ditto Borgs.

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4756.0  - ice age era

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4551.0   - borgwar

and

« Last Edit: 25 February 2010, 00:17:34 by Trappin »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2010, 00:05:02 »
Erm, I guess that means you're really done with the Dwarf faction...?  Undecided

Oh, no I'll continue to help, but you called me a waste of time, and didn't respond any further......

P.s.: You droped that other faction that would have gone so well against the dwarves? Sad

.......and what would that other faction be?

What happened to Ice Age?

Scenariole's computer crashed and he lost all his work on the mod, all that's left is the Hunter(which I made), and Fluffy's mammoth, I've tried to get Scenariole working on it again, but he's too lazy...
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2010, 00:28:17 »
Erm, I guess that means you're really done with the Dwarf faction...?  Undecided

Oh, no I'll continue to help, but you called me a waste of time, and didn't respond any further......

P.s.: You droped that other faction that would have gone so well against the dwarves? Sad

.......and what would that other faction be?
I was replying to wciow on my prior post...

Now, regarding our "disagreement", Archmage (and I apologize to everyone for the OT here but I'll try and be brief), well... I'm sure you know what you did.
My response may have been too harsh, considering you're an early teenager and I'm an adult, but well, that kind of meets the point... I'm too old for that kind of play, you know...?
Also, it was a second chance I was giving you already, after that earlier flame of yours.

So I apologize to you, Archmage, for my harsh words but I think I'll be moving along now, ok?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2010, 00:35:58 »
wciow - the links you provide for the Swamp tileset show no files in the shared download folder.

What happened to Ice Age? There was a flurry of activity and then it fell off the front page - ditto Borgs.
As I recall, the guy working on the Borg War mod was in the army and his unit got called up or something like that, so it's kind of up in the air at the moment.  I don't remember if he posted any relevant files (blends, etc.) that would do us any good.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2010, 00:45:45 »
I play romens and I think it is fun, no need for another one and no mater what romens is staying in vbros so having toe Rome factions out will mess people up.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2010, 00:50:23 »
Just because there's already a Roman faction (if you can even call it that, seeing as it's "loosely inspired" at best) doesn't mean there shouldn't/can't be a new/better/historical one.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2010, 01:01:41 »
Yeah, it's just not a Roman faction, I know I planned it out, but it's really in need of a redo...
Egypt Remastered!

Hectate

« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2010, 01:09:22 »
I was planning a nice three-faction mod prior to eaglestone, but it was far too ambitious for a first attempt (hence eaglestone was started instead). After eaglestone was halted I wanted to do a mechwarrior faction/mod, and even started a unit model to attract interest from other people. Since then my time constraints have severely limited my ability to do any modding - and that includes finishing that model (only about 2-3 hours of work, but still).

So to recap, ideas I had that may interest you...
1. Large, completely new mod that I called Bottom Feeders (underwater and ocean floor setting).
2. MechWarrior type faction.

If someone is interested, I'll post my notes for Bottom Feeder.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2010, 01:16:31 »
I was toying with the idea of an underwater mod, and I think that would actually be really cool if somebody made it.  If somebody wants to make it, I might pitch in a little, but I'm devoting the majority of my modding time to Sun and Moon.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 February 2010, 13:21:36 »
Thanks for all the feedback.  ;D

@Silnarm: If you need any models made for your scenarios please let me know, a basic concept is always nice to model from.

@Trappin: It's such a shame that borgwar mod died. It looked awesome.

@jda: Yeah my orc mod is one of the unfinished ones. I will finish it one day but I want somehting else right now.

@Hectate: My second currently unfinished project was a sci-fi themed tech tree with infantry, tanks and mechs involved, again I'll keep working on this occasionally but don't expect it any time soon.

Please post some more info on the Bottom Feeders mod. Thats caught my attention. I intend to start working on an underwater tileset called Atlantis and then maybe move on to a full blown underwater faction.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Hectate

« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2010, 05:21:11 »
I'll post the design notes I had so far sometime in the morning (probably get to work early and do it there).

I also remember briefly considering a zombie mod. I felt the theme was somewhat limited for a full faction but would be good for some scenario games. You know, "Destroy the accursed graveyard from whence spilleth forth so great a mass of decrepit and evil-imbued flesh!"

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2010, 06:40:33 »
I intend to start working on an underwater tileset called Atlantis and then maybe move on to a full blown underwater faction.

An Aussie (not tropical) or Serengeti tileset would be a nice addition.

http://florabase.calm.wa.gov.au/
http://www.serengeti.org/

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2010, 10:08:48 »
We have rain and snow for tilesets, maybe I should add a particle project "bubbles" or something like that for underwater tilsets too :)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2010, 10:11:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Hectate

Bottom Feeders details
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2010, 13:48:07 »
Bottom Feeders is a 3 Faction mod based in an underwater setting. The premise is that humans have overpopulated the land surface of the earth, and as a result have begun to expand into aquatic environments. The natural inhabitants of the aquatic environment have magical powers and have put up a resistance to this invasion. Simultaneously, a rouge AI faction has taken to the sea in an effort to expand.

To make this mod more interesting - and avoid claims of Starcraft-clone-ishness - I devised a resource system in an effort to induce conflict. There are three resources available in this mod - Metal, Oxygen, and Organics. The conflict comes from the way the need for these resources are distributed among the factions. Additionally, there are three main attributes that are balanced among the factions - Mobility, Defense, and Construction.

The Human faction is a slow mobility faction, with high defense (armor mainly) and average construction. Their most valuable resources are Metal and Oxygen. Research may also use Organics to boost their weak mobility.

The Aquatic faction is a fast mobility faction, with low defense and average construction. Their most valuable resources are Oxygen and Organics. Research may also use metal to boost their weak defense.

The Cyborg faction is an average mobility faction, with average defense and slow construction. Their most valuable resources are Metal and Organics. Research may also use Oxygen to boost their slow construction.

Units should be able to attack both "air" and "land" fields. Only units that contact the ground should actually be "land" units, however. All "swimming" units should use the "air" field.

Sample of units.

Human - Mini-sub (worker), SCUBA Diver (Swordman), Harpoon Diver (Archer), Pressurized Dive Suit (Heavy Ground unit), SCUBA w/ Dive Craft (Scout type unit), Focal SONAR Anchor (defensive structure), Bed Crawler (Mobile Armor), Atomic Crawler (Heavy Armor), Dive Sub (Air support), Attack Sub (Air Intercept)

Aquatic - Mermaids (worker), Sharks (swordman), Sharks with lasers (archer), Mermen (heavy unit), Dolphin (scout), Giant Anemone (defensive structure), Giant Crab (mobile armor).
I had not completed any additional units for this faction although more were needed.

Cyborg - Small Assimilator (worker), Assimilated Shark (swordman), Kinetic Torpedo Launcher (archer), Mobile Sensor Array (scout).
Additional units were also needed here.

Obviously this was a WIP and doesn't properly reflect the full extent of my ideas. For instance, there are various tilesets possible such as Deep Ocean, Coral Reef, Seabed, The Abyss, etc.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2010, 15:32:32 by Hectate »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2010, 15:18:21 »
Sounds cool but you should have like a squid or an octopus.

jda

« Reply #22 on: 26 February 2010, 19:13:42 »
We have rain and snow for tilesets, maybe I should add a particle project "bubbles" or something like that for underwater tilsets too :)
Would be great for any underwater mod! AWESOME!  8)

Hectate

« Reply #23 on: 26 February 2010, 21:54:39 »
I don't remember, but can tileset objects have particle systems? It seems, from what I remember, all you can attach in the tileset is the model itself...

Of course, one could create a model of a bubble stream.

That reminds me, I forgot to describe some of the resource details.

Oxygen comes from "vents" on the ocean floor. Humans and Aquatics need it for "air" of course.
Metal is mined similar to typical Glest mods. Humans and Cyborgs use it in their units and structures.
Organics is harvested from different things (animals in traps, seaweed forest, etc). Aquatics need it (like food, perhaps?) and Cyborgs need it (since they're Cyb-Organisms they need the raw material).

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: 26 February 2010, 22:03:26 »
I think morphing between land and air will be very useful, Titi may add it as a feature to MegaGlest, and you can already do it in GAE. ;)

Example: Have a sub, that's in the 'air' field, morph to the same sub, but along the surface, and then the sub can collect resources off the bottom.
Egypt Remastered!