Author Topic: Samurai Faction!  (Read 2509 times)

Little Helper

Samurai Faction!
« on: 3 March 2010, 00:43:31 »
                                                                       SAMURAI

Ok, I am planning on a new faction called Samurai! I am going to need modelers and all the help I can get! If you want to model for this faction Private message me so I  can add your name to the model groups! Anyways I don't need XML coders currently because I can handle that but still you can still join the XML group anyone can help! :D If your modeling and not going to texture please create a texture map for the model!
So I have created a Samurai VS Samurai Units balance chart! Which really balances out the units. This Project can take its time no speeding or rushing. Models must be medium quality.  Spear Equipped Units must have flag behind their backs! Yes there is going to be buildings and I will release the Building Production Chart which organizes which buildings are produced by the peasant, which unit gets produced from which buildings and ETC. I hope you guys join this project and make this faction alive!  ;D
I understand you guys have your own time and probably help modding other factions as well that why there no time limit   :)

XML:
Little Helper

Modelers:
-Archmage- (No guarantee in helping)

Model Texture Creator:
Little Helper

Music / Sound Effect Groups:
Little Helper

Icon artists:

Beta Tester:
Little Helper

Screen Shot taker / Video-er:
Here is a peasant model concept: The beginner archer is similar to this model and same thing to the infantry the only thing different is that they will have different weapons but the same model!

Samurai warrior model concept, For the spear man they use this model with a flag on their back!:

> : Advantages over   The Red ones are the one the unit dominates over. [X] : Upgrade Unit [C] : Custom Model Units
IMPORTANT: The damage range is only effective over the unit the unit dominates which is the underscored ones. I don't have names yet for these units so I will just call them Missile or Whatever unit.
18 Units so far includes Peasant but no buildings!  15 Custom Models 3 Upgrade Units

Missile Units > Spear equipped units and Infantry units |3 Custom Models|
Missiles Unit types : [X]Long Bow Archer : [X] Medium Bow Archer : [C]Short Bow Archer :[C] Beginner Archer and[C] Rifle Archer
Spear Equipped Units > Cavalry and Infantry Units |3 Custom Models|
Spear Equipped Unit Types: [C]Naginata Unit : [C]Halberd Unit : [C] Pike Unit
Cavalry Units> Missile Units and Infantry units |3 Custom Models|
Cavalry Unit Types : [C] Heavy Cavalry : [C] Missile Cavalry : [C] Long Sword Cavalry
Infantry Units>  All Units |3 Custom Models|
Infantry Unit Types : [C] Double Handle Long Blade Sword Unit : [C] Double Sword Unit : [C] Sword and Shield
Shogun Units > All Units with Medium Damage |Unknown Count Of Models|
Siege Units > Buildings and All Units |3 Custom Models|
Siege Unit types: Catapult (Big) : Ram : Movable Archer Tower (With Archers in it)

Missile Units
[X] Long Bow Archer: Low Health : Long Range : Low Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed
[X] Medium Bow Archer: Medium Health : Medium Range : Medium Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed
[C] Short Bow Archer : Average Health : Short Range : Medium Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Fast Attack Speed
[C] Beginner Archer : Low Health : Short Range : Low Damage : Fast Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed
[C] Rife Archer : Low Health : Long Range: Average Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Very Slow Attack Speed

Spear Equipped Units
[C]Naginata Unit: Low Health : Low Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Fast Attack Speed
[C]Halberd Unit: Medium Health : Average Damage : Slow Walking Speed : Slow Attack Speed
[C]Pike Unit: Medium Health : Medium Damage : Medium Walking Speed: Medium Attack Speed

Cavalry Units:
[C]Heavy Cavalry *Equipped with spear*: Average Health : Low Damage : Low Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed
[C]Missile Cavalry: Medium Health: Medium Range : Low Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed
[C]Long Sword:  Low Health : Medium Damage : Fast Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed

Infantry Units:
[C] Double Handle Long Blade Sword Unit : Low Health: Low Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Slow Attack Speed
[C] Double Sword Unit: Low Health : Medium Damage (Close to Low) : Fast Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed
[C] Sword and Shield Unit: Medium Health : Low Damage : Medium Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed

Shogun Units:

Siege Units:
[C] Catapult : Low health : Medium Range : Average Damage (On buildings) : Slow Walking speed : Very Slow Attack Speed
[C] Ram: Medium Health :  Average Damage (On buildings) : Medium Walking Speed : Slow Attack Speed
[C] Movable Archer Tower : High Health : Low Damage : Long Range : Slow Walking Speed : Medium Attack Speed

I will create the Building Plans and more information on each unit! PLEASE JOIN THIS PROJECT!  ;D

« Last Edit: 3 March 2010, 04:37:09 by Little Helper »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Samurai Faction Plan!
« Reply #1 on: 3 March 2010, 00:55:15 »
I may help some, but no guarantees... :-\
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Little Helper

« Reply #2 on: 3 March 2010, 00:56:55 »
Cool!  ;D

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 3 March 2010, 00:57:40 »
Just curious, what were the models I made for you used for?
Egypt Remastered!

Little Helper

« Reply #4 on: 3 March 2010, 00:58:39 »
This  :D and for my little brother :) do want to be listed in the modeling team and texture?
« Last Edit: 3 March 2010, 01:02:49 by Little Helper »

Little Helper

Re: Samurai Faction!
« Reply #5 on: 3 March 2010, 03:21:01 »
If anyone want to join this project pm me so I can add you to the list!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 3 March 2010, 03:32:57 »
Sounds too ambitious.  Do you even know how to model or animate?  Since I've been on this forum (over a year), I've seen exactly ZERO finished mods that were started by anyone who couldn't model, and that's a fact.  Dark Magic will be the first, and that has an entire team working on it, and it's taken the better part of a year to complete!  If you don't currently have the skills and don't plan to learn, I call this mod dead before it even starts. :-\

However, if you do want to learn, we're always willing to help people who are willing to work hard.

Little Helper

« Reply #7 on: 3 March 2010, 03:40:28 »
Sounds too ambitious.  Do you even know how to model or animate?  Since I've been on this forum (over a year), I've seen exactly ZERO finished mods that were started by anyone who couldn't model, and that's a fact.  Dark Magic will be the first, and that has an entire team working on it, and it's taken the better part of a year to complete!  If you don't currently have the skills and don't plan to learn, I call this mod dead before it even starts. :-\

However, if you do want to learn, we're always willing to help people who are willing to work hard.

I don't know how to model but I can texture and I am trying to make this one to be a successful mod.  :D I don't totally agree with who ever can't create models can't make a successful mods. Its just that they need a good planner :) I wish I can learn modeling really...but I can't... blender doesn't work for me I wish I had the older version of blender tried googling but yea there is none. I do agree that Dark Magic will become a successful faction with so many others working on it  I have also observe the thread daily since the day it was planned though I wasn't registered at the time but I registered to join this community to create a mod, but Dark Magic's progress is a bit much slower now I think because others are working on different mods? I don't know. I am looking forward to Dark Magic to be a successful faction and hope this mod will end up just like Dark Magic. If I fail its not because I can't mod its because I don't have a lot of help or maybe others are not interested... ;D or....I just need to be a better planner  ::)

OT: How long does it take to learn modeling?
« Last Edit: 3 March 2010, 03:59:46 by Little Helper »

Little Helper

« Reply #8 on: 3 March 2010, 04:38:03 »
Thankyou archmage for joining model group though you are still unsure about helping you are still in the group!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 3 March 2010, 04:47:27 »
I'm not saying it can't be done.  I'm saying that in the year or so that I've been active on this forum, I've seen a lot of topics like this get started, but the mods never get done because the "creator" isn't willing to do the vast majority of work himself.

You can get a fairly basic understanding of how to model in maybe one afternoon, but to get good enough to make decent mods takes a long time.  I've been at it off-and-on since late 2008, but I don't often dedicate a lot of time to it.  I think if you worked hard at it, you could be pretty good in a couple months.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 3 March 2010, 09:36:15 »
I agree totally with John there are several new factions announced every month for as long as I've been on the board (2+ years). Discounting the Vbros mods (which come out every other week or so) I've seen about a dozen completed factions worth playing (including 1 myself) in that time. The ratio of started to completed mods is at least 10-1.

I've been using Blender since 2005. As John said you can learn the basics of modeling by following a tutorial in an afternoon. Low poly modeling is much easier than making high quality models. You can proabaly achieve a very reasonble standard within 6 months.

Texturing your models is the difficult part. I can model and UV map well but still have trouble with textures. You can teach an artist to use a computer program but its much harder (impossible) to teach a computer user to be an artist. Of course theres always photo textures which usually produce good results  ;)

Bottom Line: A good quality faction will take you at least 6 months to complete (and probably longer if you are learning all the skills as you go).

Good Luck  :)
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Gabbe

« Reply #11 on: 3 March 2010, 12:00:29 »
i`d really loved to help you out, but5 i must work on my amazon faction yes! im still working, just not replied to it yet nor updated.

Don`t respond to my amazon here, due OT

Horsemen? that would have been a real samurai! rawr!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 3 March 2010, 16:38:15 »
Discounting the Vbros mods (which come out every other week or so.)
Yes but they are quite low quality,  :-[
I am redoing all the techs before pack 4.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: 3 March 2010, 17:04:53 »
Quote from: wciow on Today at 05:41:03
Discounting the Vbros mods (which come out every other week or so.)
Yes but they are quite low quality,  Embarrassed

That's true, and I'm glad you realized it. :)

I am redoing all the techs before pack 4.

I'm glad, I have a feeling you will do a much better job this time around! ;)
Oooh I'm psychic... :P
Egypt Remastered!

Little Helper

« Reply #14 on: 4 March 2010, 01:38:55 »
i`d really loved to help you out, but5 i must work on my amazon faction yes! im still working, just not replied to it yet nor updated.

Don`t respond to my amazon here, due OT

Horsemen? that would have been a real samurai! rawr!

Do you model? ::)

Hectate

« Reply #15 on: 4 March 2010, 05:06:02 »
I am willing to do icons on an individual basis (for this or any other mod) and work on them as time permits. I enjoy small scale artwork - it's like a challenge to make it functional and beautiful and still be tiny.

Little Helper

« Reply #16 on: 4 March 2010, 05:17:15 »
cool! still I can't start on my project like this... :-[ so little help?

Hectate

« Reply #17 on: 4 March 2010, 05:37:55 »
Well I don't even have Glest or Blender installed right now so not from me. You COULD do some sort of work to develop interest and attract other modders. As was mentioned before, not being able to do your own models really makes things difficult. If you want Samurai to succeed, you will have to attract, keep, and motivate others to work with you. This goes for any mod that uses outside (as in not-the-original-idea-creator) help.

The best way to get attention is to have something completed and on display. As an idea to attract help, why don't you/we do a asset package that can be used for the mod, but also by others? Since I offered to help with icons (time permitting), the first thing that comes to mind is redoing all the "standard" icons (move, attack, stop/cancel, etc) in an oriental/samurai style. Others can use these if they like them, and you can use them in the mod.

Gabbe

« Reply #18 on: 4 March 2010, 09:41:21 »
Little helper, yes i do modeling, and i love animation, and i can do somewhat of a animation, though i tend to make them look like robots...

Anyways, as i said, im working on Amazon, and i dunno if it is okay if i "waist" another idea (wich is probably not good)

anything