And another theme update to version 3.5, this time fixing a bug where the preview window had the incorrect margin's set, ensuring that [tt] tags came up as courier new, a few optimizations, and some general fixes. Again, the cache must be bypassed before you'll see the changes.
As I previously mentioned, the avatar settings are incorrect, for legacy support. The correct way, we should be rejecting avatars above the max size limit (now 100x100px). As it is, we force all users to download the images, no matter how large they are, and let their browser resize it. This means they must download the entire image, even if it's a 1MB 1000x1000 image, and then the user's browser must resize it, which is actually a very intensive task amongst the things that browsers must do. In all honesty, I never realized that avatars were resized until this the board was upgraded, defaulting with more secure settings (reject everything over the size limit, but nothing could be done about existing images).
This makes it a security risk and an inconvenience. Personally, I consider HTML resizing evil and never use it, things like the wiki resize images and store them, but the Glest team has already stated they do not want to store avatars and attachments on their server and have had size issues with that in the past (it was enabled for a short period of time, if anyone remembers).
Thus, the bottom line is that we will be, as previously stated, reverting to the proper method of rejecting too large images and those with such images will have them forcibly removed and I will personally pick a random image from our available avatars. Thank you to those who already changed them, the James Bond image suits you anyway, Coldfusionstorm.
EDIT: Another bug I noticed with the resizing is that if a picture is smaller, it will enlarge the image unnecessarily, using up system resources and causing a blurred image. The revert to proper settings occurs tomorrow.
In other news, I am pondering if we should change how the [tt] tag works here. Instead of just making it monotype, we'll apply some further styles like the wiki has, which was inspired by how Stack Overflow has their one line code formatted (that is, all text between the ` symbols). An example on the wiki can be seen here
. Basically, we add some margins (spacing) to the sides and give it a slightly lighter grey so that the start and end of code can be seen. The only usage of the [tt] tag on the board is pretty much for one line code, or things like file paths. This change is already in place on the wiki, and unless there is opposition (the reason I posted here), I will add it in here as well. The major benefit is how much easier it makes code to read, since it ensure it will be impossible to mistake nearby text as part of the code. It certainly works well on stack overflow.
Finally, Ultifd, I'm taking a look at the keyCAPTCHA and will try to get it implemented here. I can't say it's perfect though, as parts don't have any snap-to-grid method, and when I first used it, I wasn't sure about whether or not I did the puzzle right, especially since it didn't confirm until I submitted the form. Suppose it beats nothing, though. Rather than go overboard on multiple mods, we'll see how well keyCAPTCHA does before we move to Project Honey.