Author Topic: GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...  (Read 11488 times)

jda

GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...
« on: 26 March 2010, 14:50:17 »
A "next GAE release" may never happen.  :-X
:o I do believe you have some explaining to do, Mister!  >:(
 :-\ :(  :|
No really... what's up?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2010, 15:36:44 »
GAE is kinda being brought to mega glest I think (At least some of the features).
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Zoythrus

« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2010, 16:01:49 »
lets just merge them...they are both going on the same path (lets put aside our differences)

jda

« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2010, 16:38:09 »
GAE is kinda being brought to mega glest I think (At least some of the features).
Oh, that's a good thing though!
Well... I mean... IF... basically everything in GAE gets into Megaglest! ;)
I still think Titi would have best based megaglest on gae instead of vanilla glest and started by cutting off the unstable/unfinished parts of GAE. If he wanted to add something stable on top of that, then fine!  8)  :thumbup:

Man... on GAE:
- Really simple and really useful commands: Autorepair, Guard and Patrol
- WATER UNITS for crying out loud!! Just 'cause nobody took advantage of it yet... :P
- SAVEGAME - I find this UTTERLY ESSENTIAL
- Projectile particle enhanced effects (really a lot more useful than buildinds and units effects if you ask me)
- ALL THE WORK ON THE A* which when done will allow for AMAZING stuff
- PETS!!! (and everything that can be built from them / on top of that)
- Glestimals
- All the stuff that was started but still not finished (e.g. walls, ...)
- All the code restructuring and documenting daniel.santos was doing!!! Everyone says the Glest code is undocumented and often hard do understand. This was THE fix to get a whole lot more programmers working on GAE!!! (and possibly now megaglest...)

And so on and so on and so on ...

EDIT: Another thing in GAE: all the vanilla BUGS that GAE fixed a long time ago: land to air unit morphing, <damage-all="false">, ...
« Last Edit: 26 March 2010, 16:49:13 by jda »

Fluffy203

« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2010, 01:47:17 »
Yea i think we should restart GAE , i mean it is Leagues away from megaglest don't get me wrong , megaglest is good , but GAE is so much more advanced , like someone said earlier " mega glest is polished and shiny work , while GAE is more under the hood kinda work " something along those lines

Zoythrus

« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2010, 04:16:27 »
we should just combine them. take all the good parts from both of them, and merge them together

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2010, 04:36:36 »
we should just combine them. take all the good parts from both of them, and merge them together
I agree to some extent.  However, you can't always just take parts of one program and put them into another and expect them to work.  You could weld the wings of an FA-18 Hornet onto a P-51 Mustang, but it's going to take a lot of rewiring if you want the rockets to fire the way you want. :P

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2010, 04:38:58 »
I say not to combine them, because they are not going on the same path. ::)
Sure they are both developing, but MegaGlest is going for more graphical features and shiny stuff, while GAE is over-hauling all the stuff behind the scenes, I say let them go their own ways and we'll see what we come up with in a few years. ;D

Anyway, we're getting a little off-topic here....... :|
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2010, 05:09:31 »
Indeed we were getting very off topic. I've split this, but I'm not going to make a 'proper' reply just yet, I still need to talk with Hailstone & Yggdrasil, and talk more with titi and softcoder.

I agree to some extent.  However, you can't always just take parts of one program and put them into another and expect them to work.  You could weld the wings of an FA-18 Hornet onto a P-51 Mustang, but it's going to take a lot of rewiring if you want the rockets to fire the way you want. :P

Nice analogy ;) Accurate in general, like suggestions of talking parts of Spring or some other project and 'plonking' them in Glest. However in this case the two projects are not too disparate, and were obviously based on the same codebase. So it's more like could you take the wings off an FA-18 and put them on an FA-18 B, you could, you just need some welding equipment and some good 'craftsmen'.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Zoythrus

« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2010, 14:59:09 »
I dont think that melding MG and GAE would be all that difficult...

Coldfusionstorm

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 9 April 2010, 09:46:24 »
you see its very simple when 2 glest's meets it then goes down like this

GAE+MG = MegaGAE

Mega Glest Advanced Engine.

I LIKE IT!
WiP Game developer.
I do danish translations.
"i break stuff"

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: 9 April 2010, 12:01:50 »
I really hope they don't because each is taking different development paths, and they trade features which is cool, one engine tends to be more stable while the other tends to be a bit unstable most of the time. Of course each has it's reasons for how stable it is(ie: what features they add).

@Coldfusionstorm: Uh, I'm pretty sure that's never happened before, and I doubt it will happen.
Egypt Remastered!

Zoythrus

« Reply #12 on: 9 April 2010, 14:13:51 »
i think we should, if they are going for similar goals, then they should merge.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend," and who is the enemy here? It is failure and obscurity. if "MegaGAE" happens, it would benefit both sides.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: 9 April 2010, 14:36:03 »
They aren't enemies and they are not going for the same goals. :P
Egypt Remastered!

Zoythrus

« Reply #14 on: 9 April 2010, 16:19:37 »
it was a long-shot, but you understand where i am going with this....

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 9 April 2010, 16:24:32 »
The best thing would be to work together. That is what I would like to see, and hopefully it will happen. We are getting some work from GAE done in Mega-glest (so far from Silnarm), hopefully it will be long term.

:)

@kukac@

« Reply #16 on: 9 April 2010, 17:02:58 »
Just make sure, they a compatible with each other, and no one will have any problems (however, it is the toughest job in the end...).

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 9 April 2010, 17:30:28 »
Hey aren't you the Mac guy? If so could you make binaries for Mega-glest?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #18 on: 9 April 2010, 17:59:58 »
Softcoder.....

That's Kukac. ::)
Egypt Remastered!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #19 on: 10 April 2010, 00:40:18 »
The difference of GAE and megaglest is essentially the following:

Megaglest trys to make "small" steps and trys to quickly reach stable releases, which are poolished and player friendly. And it faces the content too, so people play it. Megaglest tries to be a game and beside this people can see what they can do with the engine while playing it.

GAE always was much more developer/modder/feature oriented. There were no real releases which are poolished in the 2 years GAE is developed now.
Of course there are really good features in GAE and some are really working perfectly, but it was and still is more developer oriented and doesn't tries to be a game more an engine which is still under development.

For me there are too many features in GAE which are not well thought out, not finished and whatever. For my opinion its a much better way to start with a stable thing again what I/we did with megaglest. The plan is to keep the things proper and working and to releases working stable things with  fitting content very often. These kind of releases will bring us players and modders which all have their fun with the work we did and beside of this, they are automatically our testers!! And they love to "test" because they love to play a fun game ( this includes me and my boys )!!
But to get those "tester" we have to present them poolished version where its fun to test! And those testers/gamers were always missing for GAE!
For me the best idea is to carefully bring good and stable things from GAE to megaglest or to reimplement them there and not to try to bring GAE to a good end.

( By the way, I hope everyone saw my poll for a own Megaglest forum in General Discussions? )
« Last Edit: 10 April 2010, 00:44:45 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: 10 April 2010, 01:43:29 »
Thank you for stating that, Titi! :)  :thumbup:
Egypt Remastered!

Fluffy203

« Reply #21 on: 10 April 2010, 02:17:30 »
I still think that you should merge with GAE cause having them put together with your softcoding and the hardcoding that GAE provides , provides modders and players the best resource available  :thumbup:

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 April 2010, 02:22:56 »
I've always liked playing GAE more than MegaGlest.  It's mostly just because of handy little things like right-click for gathering points, queuing orders, multiple builders going to a site at once, etc., and bigger stuff like the pathfinder.  With GAE, I don't have problems with crashing and as far as I'm concerned it's as stable as Vanilla.  I don't mean to break balls or anything, but I don't really get anything more out of MG than I do out of Vanilla, except garbled sounds (presumably fixed by now) and hideous lag from all the extra particles (Flying Carpets, anyone?).  Plus I've never had to worry about weird/buggy installers or anything like that.  MG has some cool features and I'd like to see them merged into GAE, but... let's just say I'm using GAE features in my mods, not MG features.

Fluffy203

« Reply #23 on: 10 April 2010, 02:25:40 »
agree completely  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 10 April 2010, 02:36:44 »
Yeah... I really miss the features of GAE when I'm using MG...  ::)
except garbled sounds (presumably fixed by now)
Yeah, it is fixed.  :thumbup:
and hideous lag from all the extra particles (Flying Carpets, anyone?)
Hmm...never got that, well never tried that... so...I'll test.  :)

But one big big thing MG has over GAE, is 8 player...  ::) maybe particles too , but I think both of them are being some what implemented/or just ticketed' into GAE...?  :|