Author Topic: GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...  (Read 11489 times)

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: GAE, Megaglest & what happens next...
« Reply #50 on: 14 April 2010, 01:19:09 »
Working together would be best. That is what I wanted. Here is my opinion of the state of things:

This would have been my preference too, indeed this was my preference. That's why when I started tinkering with the code, and with Glest proper either discontinued or at the least the original programmer unwilling to work with others, I joined 'the' active fork.  I didn't start my own.

It's also why I was willing to give up on GAE and work on megaglest, because I don't see that this community is big enough for two forks.  But my actions at the time were driven by a kind of panic, upon seeing megaglest working on things GAE already has, or things we've got in pipeline.  But my original fears, and those of other GAE team members, did not go away, indeed if anything, they just grew.

Working together would be best, and the invitation to work on GAE is still, and will remain, open.

Cheers.

Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Fluffy203

« Reply #51 on: 14 April 2010, 01:26:46 »
Accept it , you know you want to , heck if my coding was any better than what it is now i would jump on your ship for sure cause the work in GAE is alot in my opinion i'm just a beginner , but it looks massive and you have alot of features that i love such as the pet and poison etc... :thumbup: :thumbup:

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 April 2010, 08:49:10 »
Well I'm still on board with testing for GAE, I just don't have alot of time for Glest atm. Most of my modding time is being taken up mapping for Saurbraten  :P

BTW if anyone wants to know why GAE might crash look at the release number 0.2.13 thats alpha quality software people!

If you want something thats already stable go test MegaGlest. If you want to work at the sharp end GAE is perfect. The biggest problem is that so much of what goes into GAE is completely untested due to a lack of testers  :(
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14 April 2010, 10:42:30 »
Working together would be best. That is what I wanted. Here is my opinion of the state of things:

This would have been my preference too, indeed this was my preference. That's why when I started tinkering with the code, and with Glest proper either discontinued or at the least the original programmer unwilling to work with others, I joined 'the' active fork.  I didn't start my own.

Same here. I would love to work together. Divided we are weaker.

I don't see a way to merge GAE into megaglest. You stated it multiple times that GAE is too buggy for your taste, so we won't see many features ported from GAE as you want to be as stable as possible. Also porting from GAE will be more error prone than the other way round because of all the refactoring/changes especially in shared_lib. There are just more changes than currently in megaglest (I did not follow megaglest's development so i'm not aware of all your additions).

Leaving GAE and just joining megaglest also is not an option. Do you really expect us to throw our work away and maybe partly rewrite it? Where's the fun in that?

jda

« Reply #54 on: 14 April 2010, 13:42:19 »
 It's also why I was willing to give up on GAE and work on megaglest, because I don't see that this community is big enough for two forks.  But my actions at the time were driven by a kind of panic, upon seeing megaglest working on things GAE already has, or things we've got in pipeline.
I mostly agree (maybe bompletelly).
I do think the Glest community is not big enough to have two forks.
I would prefer that GAE and MG were the same project or else tighty bound together (like there was talk, long before vanilla Glest development was dropped) that vanilla would incorporate GAE (in whole or partially) into itself).
Still, it's not just the code merging problems, it's the people working on the code too.

In the longer run, I truelly believe GAE will be a much better (and more stable) engine than MG, mainly because there has been a lot done (and still being done) "under the hood" in GAE that will make further improvements much easier, more coherent and stable than what the vanilla Glest (which is still hugelly most of what MG is) allows.
Sure, MG is working on that too (I recall a talk I had with Titi on the irc not long ago) but... is starting.,, At some point, I'm pretty sure MG will have to mess so deep in the code as GAE (for what I gather) has already done / is doing and by then... MG will be getting the same criticism GAE gets now. And GAE will likely have gone past that and be much more stable then.
/ Nostradamus mode

But the people who make GAE and MG are the main path-makers of this all and they are people. People are immensely more complex than computers. :P
« Last Edit: 14 April 2010, 13:43:59 by jda »