Author Topic: GLADE's future  (Read 43515 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: GLADE's future
« Reply #100 on: 1 April 2010, 23:41:26 »
Now that I think about it, I think I like Fluffy's idea better, since it allows us to have one more serious (Earth military) and one less serious (aliens with giant robots) faction.  Seems like a healthy balance.  (Although I'd rather not go completely serious with the humans either.)

Fluffy203

« Reply #101 on: 1 April 2010, 23:46:39 »
Well i wouldn't say too cartoony , but just old fashion scifi like you said flash gordon or rocket man deff  lol , but yea i was thinking about that mod , but we need to make it our own , but i want serious/cartoony graphics mix them to make them awesome thats the concept i'm getting at. with 3 distinct factions with all out war in the mix  ;) want me to work on an example? or do you have the concept i'm trying to get at?

@Arch thats fine i don't mind being teamed with john  :D
@John i agree i don't' want to be too serious like i said the humans will mix with alien tech =)

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2 April 2010, 00:32:21 »
I think I get what you're saying, and I agree with everything except I think two factions might be better.  The third seems a bit out of place to me.  Maybe we should just make the aliens and pit them against Omega's military?  Maybe we can even fix his animations. :look:

Anyway, here's what I've come up with in the past couple minutes:

Aliens:

* Landing Craft - main building, can morph between land and air
          o Robot - worker unit
                + Generator - increases population cap
                + //barracks
                      # Gunner - alien with a ray gun
                      # Power Suit (requires Factory) - an alien in powered armor
                + Factory - builds mechanical units
                      # Killbot - robot with strong melee
                      # Mech - an alien in a mech, shoots rockets
                      # Tripod - a "War of the Worlds"-style walker with a heat ray
                + Space Port - calls in flying saucers
                      # Saucer - slow but tough air unit

Humans:

* Command Base
          o Worker - hard-working guy with a hard hat, chainsaw, and jackhammer
                + Barracks
                      # Rifleman - soldier with an M-1 Garand
                      # RPG Trooper - soldier with a rocket launcher
                      # Gunner - soldier with a machine gun
                + Garage
                      # Humvee
                      # Sherman
                      # Hover Tank (requires Area 51)
                + Area 51 - examines alien technologies
                      # Scientist
                            * //upgrades go here
                      # Rocket Ship
                      # Rocket Ranger - soldier with a jet pack and ray gun

Fluffy203

« Reply #103 on: 2 April 2010, 00:37:48 »
I like the idea of 3 don't worry i work fast and i'm good at it =P , we can start to come up with tech trees. i like some of your work so far , but i think it should be its own mod no strings attached to any other one , so i'll post a full tech of all three factions with yours in mind and then we can start deliberating on what should be in and what shouldn't be in there or you can work on a tech tree and i work on one then we work on them all together.

EDIT: Names also for them Humans, (blank), and (blank). we should fill in the blanks  :O
« Last Edit: 2 April 2010, 00:39:41 by Fluffy203 »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2 April 2010, 00:48:11 »
Let's just try to work on one at a time, so when you get bored and disappear, we'll at least have something to work with.

Fluffy203

« Reply #105 on: 2 April 2010, 01:00:56 »
I won't leave you hanging i promise i'm in this for good guaranteed , but i do get bored alot , but i will make this complete , but so far i got this  

OuterSpaceAliens:

* Landing Craft(rename to MotherShip) - main building, can morph between land and air
       Also maybe using the pet system in GAE to create different parts of the mother ship such as the Generator and the factory eliminating the robot from building.
          o Robot(rename to Drone) - Tripodal worker unit uses tractor beam to build/gather resources
                + Generator - increases population cap -agree with this
                + //barracks(rename to Invasion Bay or something other than barracks)
                      # Gunner(rename to Invader) - alien with a ray gun
                      #Raider- A tripodal creature used for invasions (Calvary basically)
                      # Power Suit(rename to Exo Suit) (requires Factory) - an alien in powered armor
                + Factory - builds mechanical units
                      #Skimmer- hovering light scout vehicle with pulse lazers
                      # Killbot - robot with strong melee, that can morph into a Mech
                         # Mech - Morphed version of the killbot , which artillery's plasma.
                      # Tripod - a "War of the Worlds"-style walker with a heat ray LOVE THIS IDEA
                + Space Port(rename to Docking Bay or leave it) - calls in flying saucers
                      # Saucer - slow but tough air unit
« Last Edit: 2 April 2010, 01:07:10 by Fluffy203 »

Fluffy203

« Reply #106 on: 2 April 2010, 01:04:32 »
Humans:

* Command Base
          o Worker - hard-working guy with a hard hat, chainsaw, and jackhammer
                + Barracks
                      # Rifleman - soldier with an M-1 Garand
                      # RPG Trooper(rename to Bazooka just for that cool effect lol) - soldier with a rocket launcher
                      # Gunner - soldier with a machine gun
                + Garage
                      # Humvee(rename Jeep)
                      # Sherman
                      # Hover Tank (requires Area 51)
                + Area 51 - examines alien technologies
                      # Scientist
                            * //upgrades go here
                      # Rocket Ship---drop this one ---maybe have a mech that can turn into a flying vechile?
                      # Rocket Ranger - soldier with a jet pack and ray gun---Love this IDEA
« Last Edit: 2 April 2010, 01:11:12 by Fluffy203 »

modman

« Reply #107 on: 2 April 2010, 02:14:37 »
How about a faction to oppose Omega's?  This is a concept worth doing, because we don't have to re-invent the wheel.  Seriously, compare what you have above to what Omega already has.

Aliens would work well in opposition to Military.  Or Buck Rogers.

I too will probably sit this one out though if we don't do Magitech extended (sorry if that sounds like a threat, but I'd rather work on Dark Magic than anything besides MX).

Fluffy203

« Reply #108 on: 2 April 2010, 02:36:31 »
I disagree re-inventing the wheel is exactly what needs to happen cause the concept of the mod and the way military is setup would clash and not work together and its ok i sure don't take it as a threat  :D

Fluffy203

« Reply #109 on: 2 April 2010, 03:41:04 »
lol got bored waiting for replies so i made a quick mech i call the jumper and fully animated it , needs a better texture , but it was just a placeholder here are some pics : pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #110 on: 2 April 2010, 03:47:51 »
Ok, I'm losing myself fast in this topic... :-\

Anyway, I agree with arch that DM needs to be 100% finished first. It also could really use a MegaGlest and/or GAE adaption too!

Other ideas of things that could be worked on are:
-FPM. Ok, this is a BIG one. It's a lot of work that I'd really like to see finished in the (distant? Maybe [somewhat] near?) future. To those who aren't sure of the subfaction thing, perhaps a easier explaination will help. You play as magic or tech. Each functions as normal, but at one point in the game, they will split down one of two paths for the faction (more customizability, and different gameplay!!!). For magic, they can go down the Path of Corruption and worship the dark powers, or they can go down the Path of Nature and become treehuggers. Tech can either go down the path of reason to study science, or down the Path of Enlightenment to worship the gods for power. Regardless of the path, there is a wide variety of powerful new units to use in your strategy! :D

-Military is indeed a 'different set up', as it's made as to allow standalone gameplay rather than having to be installed for glest (mainly so I could change things like the background and the language files without making glest awkward). However, it still needs some smoothing out, especially some units could use a bit of a remodel (grenadier and humvee). Of course, I could do them myself after I get a new comp, but then there's no spirit of teamplay.  ;D
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2 April 2010, 04:37:53 »
OuterSpaceAliens:
<snip>
I can certainly agree with all those changes. :thumbup:
                      # Humvee(rename Jeep)
You're right; the HMMWV didn't come around until the 1970s.  History fail on my part. :thumbdown:
            # Rocket Ship---drop this one ---maybe have a mech that can turn into a flying vechile?
Hmm... maybe move the Hover Tank into that slot, and have something else built at the Garage?
lol got bored waiting for replies so i made a quick mech i call the jumper and fully animated it , needs a better texture , but it was just a placeholder here are some pics : pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4
Cool!  I'm getting kind of a Half-Life 2 vibe from it.  Where does the driver sit?  Maybe you can add a cockpit below the umm... thorax(?)
Anyway, I agree with arch that DM needs to be 100% finished first. It also could really use a MegaGlest and/or GAE adaption too!
That's been left up to Modman, unless he wants to ask for help.
Other ideas of things that could be worked on are:
-FPM.
I've never been particularly thrilled with the idea of FPM.  Some parts of it are interesting or whatever, but I guess it's just not really my thing.
-Military is indeed a 'different set up', as it's made as to allow standalone gameplay rather than having to be installed for glest (mainly so I could change things like the background and the language files without making glest awkward). However, it still needs some smoothing out, especially some units could use a bit of a remodel (grenadier and humvee). Of course, I could do them myself after I get a new comp, but then there's no spirit of teamplay.  ;D
I would have no problem with GLADE helping you out with Military.  However, I think while everybody else sits around and deliberates, Fluffy is gonna go ahead and bang out a faction or two. :O

Fluffy203

« Reply #112 on: 2 April 2010, 11:11:21 »
Hmm... maybe move the Hover Tank into that slot, and have something else built at the Garage?

thats sounds awesome to me , how about we put a p-51 mustang the garage? gives them an air unit

Cool!  I'm getting kind of a Half-Life 2 vibe from it.  Where does the driver sit?  Maybe you can add a cockpit below the umm... thorax(?)

That is what i was thinking i was like its unmanned or un-aliened =P looks more like a robot so that will be very possible.

I have made a primitive shield generator too it works to a point i'll pm you the xml if you wanna see how it works , the ai will attack it first before the unit just in case , i was having some fun last night =P

-Military is indeed a 'different set up', as it's made as to allow standalone gameplay rather than having to be installed for glest (mainly so I could change things like the background and the language files without making glest awkward). However, it still needs some smoothing out, especially some units could use a bit of a remodel (grenadier and humvee). Of course, I could do them myself after I get a new comp, but then there's no spirit of teamplay.  Grin
I would have no problem with GLADE helping you out with Military.  However, I think while everybody else sits around and deliberates, Fluffy is gonna go ahead and bang out a faction or two. Laughing
I think i might just do that  ;)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2 April 2010, 15:49:29 »
The Cabal (Dark Elves and Gnomes) and Hyperion (a human nation).
O no! not dark elves! you already did dark magic! what next dark tech?

BTW: Dose any one mind if I help out?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2 April 2010, 16:54:11 »
thats sounds awesome to me , how about we put a p-51 mustang the garage? gives them an air unit
Sure.
I have made a primitive shield generator too it works to a point i'll pm you the xml if you wanna see how it works , the ai will attack it first before the unit just in case , i was having some fun last night =P
If it works, then cool. :thumbup:
O no! not dark elves! you already did dark magic! what next dark tech?
::)
Ehh... not be a dick or anything, but I'd kinda rather you didn't.  I just don't think this mod would be improved by your participation. :-\

Fluffy203

« Reply #115 on: 2 April 2010, 18:08:09 »
lol sure , do you want to put the mustang in there?

I'm going to model the mother ship and texture it real quick to give you a rough concept of what i'm thinking or should we work on the tech tree's more , well i'll model that and you can reply to this message lol

EDIT: i've put more detail into since this video , but watch it here
« Last Edit: 2 April 2010, 22:35:03 by Fluffy203 »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2 April 2010, 23:11:24 »
Looks fine to me.  It would be cool if we could have it sort of "opened up" when it's on the ground, maybe with a ramp and some landing gear.

Edit: I might be going out of town for the weekend, but I'm sure you can handle things on your own.  I might upload some more concepts so you've got something to go on.

Fluffy203

« Reply #117 on: 2 April 2010, 23:35:01 »
I think i can do that for sure , i was planning on the landing gear , but i can make it open =) and thats cool yea give me your ideas so i can mix them together and come up with something awesome

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 3 April 2010, 00:51:05 »
Ehh... not be a dick or anything, but I'd kinda rather you didn't.  I just don't think this mod would be improved by your participation. :-\
Why? I can model and texture quite good. just ask any one that played the new vbro packs.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 3 April 2010, 00:57:32 »
Pics or it didn't happen.  If you can show me some recent high-quality stuff, I'll certainly reconsider.

Fluffy203

« Reply #120 on: 3 April 2010, 04:07:23 »
What can you show me of your work Elim? i'd be glad to have you help me with some misc. things that might not be the most important , but still need to be done

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 3 April 2010, 04:17:35 »
Did you see the new vbros pack? Ill post some close up picks. (Of other stuff)

Fluffy203

« Reply #122 on: 3 April 2010, 04:18:08 »
put up your best work and i think i might be able to have you help  :thumbup:

Fluffy203

« Reply #123 on: 3 April 2010, 15:25:53 »
***DOUBLE POST***

I'm thinking we should start collaborating a name for this mod  :P. I was also thinking of hosting the Glade website , but i don't know thats up to you guys  :D.\
I have also already finished the MotherShip , Drone , Jumper which is going to be a mech i have to add a cockpit still , Also finished the Generator , and i'm trying to figure out what concept to put with the aliens like their people. i will probably mess around with it cause i don't know if i should make them tripodal or bipedal  :silence:

Edit:When i say finished i mean animations and textures , not finalized , but complete i'll send you screens john
« Last Edit: 3 April 2010, 15:32:10 by Fluffy203 »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 3 April 2010, 15:48:24 »
Hmm... tell you what, I need practice working with humanoids, so I'll make a biped, you can make a tripod, and we'll pick between the two?