Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 21773 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Browsers
« on: 8 April 2010, 18:34:51 »
What is your favorite browser?  Why is it your favorite?  What are some of your favorite extensions and add-ons?  All off-topic browser-related discussion goes here.

I'll start:
  • Mozilla Firefox
  • Its extensibility means it can do just about anything I want as long as I can find the proper add-on, and the open source means there isn't any funny business hiding in the code.
  • Chromin Frame, Personal Menu, and Fission (the three work together to free up a lot of screen space); Ad-block Plus (I couldn't live without this one!)

Gabbe

Re: Browsers
« Reply #1 on: 8 April 2010, 19:32:51 »
Firefox is the best ,and the best it that it works with glest!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 8 April 2010, 22:02:58 »
My favorite browser is firefox, because it is better then internet explorer. I didn`t find  need to try others.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Hectate

« Reply #3 on: 8 April 2010, 22:10:48 »
I use chrome and firefox equally. It depends on what I'm doing and where I am (for what's installed on the computer).

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 8 April 2010, 22:36:39 »
1. Firefox. (add-ons)  ::)
2. Chrome. (speed, ...)
The worst? IE.  :|

modman

« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2010, 00:37:01 »
Firefox!  If you're willing to deal with the slight speed disparity between FF and Chrome, FF has all the add-ons  you could ever want and more!

I hear that IE actually opens up each tab in a new process, so it hogs a ton of RAM!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2010, 00:51:42 »
Yeah... who uses IE anymore...?  :| Only some schools, some people, and M$$ People (or not)  ::)...
Speed, speed, Firefox is fast enough for me...  ::)
But yeah, I think Firefox is first in my list, and then Google Chrome.  :)  :thumbup:

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2010, 01:50:24 »
Who needs Google Chrome, Firefox is the best! :D

Chrome has their 1 line for search and website URLS?
Sure, but there's a great addon for firefox called Omnibar, that can do the same thing. :|

Speed...who cares Firefox has got plenty of speed!
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 10 April 2010, 01:58:08 »
Well, it is obvious that we all like Firefox.
Addons? There is are a lot...and a bunch of useful ones.
Adblock Plus... WOT... ietab... UnPlug...a lot.  

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 April 2010, 03:02:40 »
And fireFTP. :)

zombiepirate

« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2010, 20:38:23 »
Yeah... who uses IE anymore...?

Old ladies who click the blue e and the internet magically appears. Firefox isn't a blue e so obviously the internet cannot magically appear from it's icon.

I usually use chrome because it almost starts faster than the calculator app. I actually use the chromium daily builds for Linux and have found them to be quite stable except for the occasional bad build. Generally I will switch to Firefox if I need to use Java, Flash, RSS feeds, or some other plugin. For some reason my Java doesn't doesn't work in chrome.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: 11 April 2010, 00:38:54 »
Old ladies who click the blue e and the internet magically appears. Firefox isn't a blue e so obviously the internet cannot magically appear from it's icon.

:O
Oh, that's good! :O
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 April 2010, 04:01:01 »
Yah,  :O

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2010, 00:45:10 »
My dad... I know, I know. I set their default browser to firefox, got my mom and sis to use it, but my dad's reluctant. He yelled at me when I removed the icon for IE from the desktop... ::)

I use Firefox normally, but in my current computer conditions, I use Safari (amazing how well it works on windows, for an apple program ;)). For some reason, FF is heavily affected by my blinking and flashing windows problem, like many programs, but Safari isn't affected at ALL. It has pretty good web design stuff too by default, though FF's web design extension owns it. ;D
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 12 April 2010, 01:17:39 »
I use Firefox normally, but in my current computer conditions, I use Safari (amazing how well it works on windows, for an apple program ;)). For some reason, FF is heavily affected by my blinking and flashing windows problem, like many programs, but Safari isn't affected at ALL. It has pretty good web design stuff too by default, though FF's web design extension owns it. ;D
Oh yes, Safari is actually quite nice.

My dad... I know, I know. I set their default browser to firefox, got my mom and sis to use it, but my dad's reluctant. He yelled at me when I removed the icon for IE from the desktop... ::)
About your dad, eh, I think I know some people like that.  :|
One thing you could do is make IE look like Firefox, and trick your Dad into using it.  
But uh, a lot of my family and relatives (friends too) use Firefox. After all, it won a Guinness world record.

xxcatmysteryxx

« Reply #15 on: 12 April 2010, 01:29:19 »
Yeah I like Firefox too it depends what computer I'm using like my main computer I use firefox but on my laptop I use IE haha im not an old lady and on school and public computers i use IE but i prefure Firefox

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2010, 03:50:06 »
Yeah I like Firefox too it depends what computer I'm using like my main computer I use firefox but on my laptop I use IE haha im not an old lady and on school and public computers i use IE but i prefure Firefox
Yeah, a lot of schools and at public places, such as the library, use IE...  ::)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2010, 10:58:13 »
I was over at a friends house, and I was using IE, so I asked my friends Dad, and he said ok, so I installed Firefox on his computer, just like that.

Didn't have to do any convincing.
Egypt Remastered!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2010, 21:31:07 »
I was over at a friends house, and I was using IE, so I asked my friends Dad, and he said ok, so I installed Firefox on his computer, just like that.

Didn't have to do any convincing.
Yeah, well, some people are like that, while others are just...  ::)

Anyone tried Opera? What do you think of it...?  :|

Hectate

« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2010, 23:00:38 »
Anyone tried Opera? What do you think of it...?  :|

I haven't tried Opera on PC, but MAN, Opera Mobile for my Windows 6.1 touchscreen smartphone (Palm Treo Pro) is AWESOME. Before I was using the IE that came with it, and it was a painful experience. Slow loading, would always default to the "mobile" version of pages, even when putting the setting to "computer" instead of "mobile browser".

Opera restored my faith in the internet on a mobile device. It's fast, has multiple tabs, a beautiful start page with 9 shortcuts that you can set, loads everything like it was a computer, and has the smoothest most functional zoom ability I've ever used. If you need a browser for your mobile phone, check out Opera for sure. No doubt about that one. They even have a few different versions, for if you don't have a smartphone for instance (or no touch screen control).

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2010, 01:34:36 »
Anyone tried Opera? What do you think of it...?  :|

I haven't tried Opera on PC, but MAN, Opera Mobile for my Windows 6.1 touchscreen smartphone (Palm Treo Pro) is AWESOME. Before I was using the IE that came with it, and it was a painful experience. Slow loading, would always default to the "mobile" version of pages, even when putting the setting to "computer" instead of "mobile browser".

Opera restored my faith in the internet on a mobile device. It's fast, has multiple tabs, a beautiful start page with 9 shortcuts that you can set, loads everything like it was a computer, and has the smoothest most functional zoom ability I've ever used. If you need a browser for your mobile phone, check out Opera for sure. No doubt about that one. They even have a few different versions, for if you don't have a smartphone for instance (or no touch screen control).
Yeah, I have heard a lot about Opera on phones...  ::)
Very cool. Maybe one day I can check it out.  :|

Still...

xxcatmysteryxx

« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2010, 13:42:12 »
Still...

hahahaha ;)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 April 2010, 01:03:54 »
This might be a dumb question, but whenever I run Firefox on Linux, its spell-checker tries to get me use British spellings of words, so how do I change it to American English?

Gabbe

« Reply #23 on: 26 April 2010, 06:22:45 »

I hear that IE actually opens up each tab in a new process, so it hogs a ton of RAM!

Fcuk your right! it does open each tab in a new process!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2010, 11:58:58 »
John, spell a word wrong, and the when it gets the squiggles right-click it, and try looking around on the languages submenu, I think you'll find what you want. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

anything