Author Topic: Browsers  (Read 21771 times)

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Browsers
« Reply #125 on: 8 April 2011, 02:22:32 »
lol, IE? Must be your own comp, most tests show that IE 9 is slow from what I remember...  :| Especially the 64 bit version. The 32 bit one was OK, although almost every single browser seemed to be faster.
Anyways, if all ya care about speed there's a certain browser named Google Chrome for you.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #126 on: 8 April 2011, 03:48:58 »
Speed was never firefox's biggest feature. It's biggest feature is its addons, which do have the potential to slow the browser down (I once had an addon that was causing memory leaks. Caused a ton of grief). Try firefox in safe mode and see if it's still slow. As a web developer, firefox is king, because with addons, I could replicate another brower's user-agent string, make a list of all images in a page, examine the source in a box form, easily toggle on and off individual stylesheets, quickly validate any page, find broken images, look up wikipedia articles by hovering, find the color of any element on a webpage, block ads, have an integrated download accelerator/manager, have a master password bank, be able to recover forms easily and painlessly, can know when links are dangerous from sight, can destroy scripting that prevents right clicking/selecting (stupid...lyric...sites), and can easily skip the timers on download sites, and this is just from the cut down selection of addons I have (I try to reduce the addons I use since some started giving memory leaks, as mentioned before).

Not to mention that firebug beats any other browser's web design functions hands down.

For speed, chrome is the way to go, but for functionality, firefox is king. (oh, and I've never seen this problem with menus opening on start or anything).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #127 on: 8 April 2011, 04:43:41 »
I've disabled all my addons and almost all my plugins except those requested by youtube. IE plays videos fine, IE loads webpages the same speed, IE starts up faster than Firefox, but IE is worse still.
Arora is snappy, my Dad was stunned that it loaded a page almost instantly. Firefox has simply got a lot of bloatware hanging on it.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #128 on: 8 April 2011, 04:48:49 »
John, spell a word wrong, and the when it gets the squiggles right-click it, and try looking around on the languages submenu, I think you'll find what you want. ;)

... Or you could just except that the american spelling of words is wrong....hehe.

But Firefox is best for me, there's not much point in comparing them :P

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #129 on: 8 April 2011, 04:56:49 »
Ok my laptop is junk, Arora doesn't work. My laptop is having a breakdown or something..... Does anybody want it? :P
Egypt Remastered!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #130 on: 8 April 2011, 06:45:51 »
Ok my laptop is junk, Arora doesn't work. My laptop is having a breakdown or something..... Does anybody want it? :P
Buy...new...computer. Oh, and make it an HP. Uninstall that IE and put on Firefox ASAP. Have fun. ;)

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #131 on: 8 April 2011, 07:55:04 »
Try using Chromium or SRWare Iron then...Good Luck!
Firefox might not be the fastest browser, but it's not slow either...at least for me. If you use some specific addons, then it will be slow though.
http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/04/01/improving-add-on-performance/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/performance/

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #132 on: 21 June 2011, 01:18:23 »
Hmm...double post.  :-X
Anyways, Firefox 5 is released! Well, not officially...yet.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #133 on: 21 June 2011, 01:31:46 »
Is it me or did Firefox 5 come REALLY fast?!
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
Egypt Remastered!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #134 on: 21 June 2011, 01:50:45 »
Yes they changed to the rapid release schedule. Seems to be even speedier, at least for me.  :thumbup:
Edit: I mean Firefox's Speed...

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #135 on: 17 August 2011, 18:29:42 »
Firefox 6 is here...so it's supposed to run 20% faster at times.
I guess Chrome will always be faster, but it'll probably never beat Firefox's customization...  :thumbup:

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #136 on: 18 August 2011, 03:00:14 »
Speaking of browsers, I totally abandoned firefox for chrome now, since firefox was being so sluggish and giving me problems (the worst being that firefox thought it had updated every time it opened, and checked every addon at the start and always displayed a ton of tabs for updated addons). Chrome is a bajillion times faster, and the vast majority of my addons already exist or have suitable alternatives on chrome.

My top used addons, web developer, adblock plus, lastpass, and lazarus already existed on chrome, with some being better on chrome (a problem with lastpass not remembering certain settings was fixed, and web developer had a better menu). The youtube downloader extension "caught" more videos than the one I used on firefox, at the trade-off that it only works on youtube (the only ones I usually downloaded, though), the webpage screen capture tool works better in chrome, and measuring and colour picking tools also existed. Ultimate chrome flag was an extremely awesome extension, combining firefox's WoT, Flagfox, and also showing Alexia, Google pagerank, google trends and more.

Oh, and google has an angry birds app, plus an extended calculator app available. There's lots of great themes available that basically do the same as Firefox's personas, but are also seen on new tabs and the incognito window (aka: private browsing). Speaking of the incognito window, you can choose which extensions work in incognito mode, defaultly all are disabled. All tabs are separate processes, and are lightning fast and far stabler than Firefox, which has been sapping up memory even without any addons. Finally, chrome's extensions rarely, if ever, require a restart, whereas most of Firefox's addons do (though I note that some do not), and are much more lightweight. Chrome extensions are also capable of running when the browser is closed, if you choose, and can give desktop alerts, such as a gmail notifier extension.

I probably sound like a google ad now, but that's because google now owns pretty much everyone's soul.

The Street View van isn't going to find out anything Google won't already know from reading my email.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #137 on: 18 August 2011, 07:37:46 »
Fail  :O

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 18 August 2011, 15:28:11 »
I barely even notice any changes whenever Firefox updates, now that they've got a new version every week. :P

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #139 on: 18 August 2011, 18:25:53 »
Every 8 weeks/~2 months...usually its just improvements/bug fixes. Every now and then there's going to be a new feature.

anything