Author Topic: GW-pack1 project  (Read 19617 times)

wyvern

Re: W-pack1 project
« Reply #50 on: 18 May 2010, 16:15:29 »
Gabbe do you have a pic of the stable and an idea, it should look similar to a farm but only with horses.

Gabbe

« Reply #51 on: 18 May 2010, 16:33:51 »
heres for your texturing....

Texture, the parts.

Its really simple, first you start by unwrapping it. This can be very confusing but blender got a high learning curve.

Since unwrapping a cube is so simple and you will not be doing this when you model it will be more learning if we unwrapped something more complex. I won`t go too far about that, the model will still be very easy to handle.

First of, go into edit mode (TAB) then hit "U" on your keyboard. You will see a menu, choose "Project from view" if it is a building, if it is human, choose simple "Unwrap".

When Unwrapping a building, the roof will be the one unwrapped first. go to front view, select all the vertices that makes up the roof, then go into top view, and click unwrap. Scale the unwrapped vertices down and move them to a corner. Go into side view and select the side faces. Unwrap them and in UV-image editor scale them down and place them in a corner. Do this for the remaining sides and fronts and then continue rescale them until they fit eachother.

When Unwrapping a human, you just Unwrap it like you normally would. It doesn`t matter what kind of unwrapping you use but the most appealing one would be smart projections. Actually, do the smart projections.

Then were onto texturing, get alot of references and alot of textures, many different skin textures and eye textures, ear mouth hair arm anything that might be usefull texturing your human. Then, first model the high polygonal version, then the low poly. Select the high poly and move it so it center is at the low poly center. select the high polygon version (COMPLICATED MESH) and then hold shift and select the low poly mesh. Go into bake menu and select normals and choose tangent and activate "selected to soemthing" tab, then click bake. Adjust the parameters till you get a decent looking normal map. Then go into GLSL mode and then go to materials create new and add a texture image, make it UV instead of "orc" and select normal blah blah blah and im bored, well you made a normal map. You can bake ambient occlusions as well as shadow maps ETC. when you have all the maps ready then you can texture paint on your low poly mesh with all the maps would look like the complicated mesh. When finished everything and texture is done bake the textures and do a full render blah blah blah, and you got a texture for your model to use in glest with all mapping support.

wyvern

« Reply #52 on: 18 May 2010, 16:36:25 »
Wow, thanks Gabbe, for some reason that seems a lot clearer then the blender tutorial :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gabbe

« Reply #53 on: 18 May 2010, 16:42:02 »
even if i got bored and had to say blah blah blah? if you know how to navigate in blender this should appeal

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 May 2010, 05:11:53 »
Speaking from my own experience, I'd say the most important thing about unwrapping is trial and error.  Try different kinds of projections, marking different seams, etc., until you get a good UV map.

wyvern

« Reply #55 on: 19 May 2010, 14:04:16 »
Well I know very well that there will be lots of trial and error involved, but I'm learning, I already made my first good model, and am trying to texture and animate, I really appreciate the help. :) :) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gabbe

« Reply #56 on: 19 May 2010, 15:02:12 »
yes, john is getting it, trial and error, you will get better, but you always have to do it again, thats texturing. You`ll never make a PERFECT texture, you must only try and then try a little more, but unwrapping isn`t necessary if you use smart projections then paint the different textures on. True, you won`t be able to retexture, and otheer people must have your .blend to retexture but the texture will look better and it will be easier.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 May 2010, 16:39:08 »
Actually, I would recommend against smart projections.  They tend to break up your faces into so many different parts that it's hard to have anything continuous.  Anyway, try it and see if it works for you, I guess.  Also keep in mind that you can move, scale, rotate, and mirror your UV map in the UV image editor once you've unwrapped.  You can also try doing different parts of the model with different projections, like using a cylinder projection for an arm and a regular unwrap for a head, for example.

Gabbe

« Reply #58 on: 19 May 2010, 16:46:37 »
it won`t matter, use a stencil and use texture painting.

wyvern

« Reply #59 on: 20 May 2010, 14:54:23 »
Gabbe, John, I have a question, while I like the texture information here better since I check it every day, why didn't you post this in the how do I texture post I made since here its kinda OT, this is after all the mods section,

wyvern

« Reply #60 on: 21 May 2010, 16:39:47 »
I think I figured out what the last things I will add to tech be, here they are:

Mechanon(this may not be the final name)-a mini walker with a pick and axe combination and a bag for resources, It collects resources faster and moves faster and can also carry more then a worker, it cannot construct buildings though.

Tank-da vinci style tank with a cannon in its turret, possibly an offset ballista for anti air, spears for close up infantry, upgradeable with greek fire for more damage dealing.

Airship bomber-Heavy air unit, similar to airship but drops bombs and has a forward crossbow turret to protect itself air to air.

Wing flapper?-second generation air fighter, superior to ornithopter and has secondary chinese style rocket pod for ground attack.

mounted archer or scout-a bow armed rider with low armor and hp but high move speed and sight and moderate range and attack.

stable-building to produce knight, horseman, and mounted archer

stone tower-elite defense unit with higher armor, attack, range and a secondary stone throw attack that can be replaced with greek fire grenades with the greek fire upgrade.

New model for the crocodile, based on the da vinci tank model

new upgrades including greek fire, metal plating, masonry, steam power, rocketry, bombs, rapid fire crossbows, and recurve bows.

A hero unit, suggestions are welcome, and the knight and assault trooper will now require a special resource from the castle to produce, you will only be able to produce two knights or two assault troopers, or one of each for every castle you have, this will turn them into a special and costly unit.

Please post comments on this and the gervoriath tech tree because I really need advice.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2010, 00:04:59 by wyvern »

Gabbe

« Reply #61 on: 22 May 2010, 21:23:57 »
Me and Wyvern are producing "World war 1" mod and he/she is now free to use it in the W-pack

wyvern

« Reply #62 on: 22 May 2010, 22:41:14 »
I'm a he and thanks Gabbe, I can't wait, this means that w-pack will include original glest plus ww1 glest. This will be a huge mod :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gabbe

« Reply #63 on: 22 May 2010, 22:44:36 »
 :O :O

But military ww1 will use many factions, so huge we go!

wyvern

« Reply #64 on: 22 May 2010, 23:02:45 »
Yep were going for massive. :O :O ;D

Gabbe

« Reply #65 on: 23 May 2010, 15:19:47 »
can i have it in G-pack aswell?   :|

wyvern

« Reply #66 on: 23 May 2010, 15:35:28 »
Why don't we rename it into GW-pack

Gabbe

« Reply #67 on: 23 May 2010, 15:36:47 »
Okay, and its officially called, without shortenings: Glest World Package!

wyvern

« Reply #68 on: 23 May 2010, 15:44:40 »
Alright, I agree :thumbup: :thumbup:

Gabbe

« Reply #69 on: 23 May 2010, 19:22:35 »
Rename the topic?

Oh i got 1000 posts! yey! I have reached my goal!

well....not much to say ::) really :| uhm...
probably...other than YEY!

wyvern

Re: GW-pack1 project
« Reply #70 on: 28 May 2010, 14:37:19 »
This is my first true update for this project, here are some pics of a tank I made for tech. please comment :) :)
http://img714.imageshack.us/f/tank2hm.jpg/
http://img198.imageshack.us/f/tank1zo.jpg/

Does anyone have comments on the techtree I have posted :'(

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #71 on: 28 May 2010, 16:14:12 »
Looks a bit odd, but not necessarily a bad tank. Would like to see it textured.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

wyvern

« Reply #72 on: 28 May 2010, 16:17:04 »
Its supposed to be a da vinci style tank, I'll texture it as soon as possible though I may make the other additions first.

wyvern

« Reply #73 on: 9 June 2010, 19:15:32 »
Here is my second tank it is the da vinci tank with a flamethrower instead of the cannon, it will replace the current crocodile model please comment. http://img576.imageshack.us/i/crocodile1.jpg/

Gabbe

« Reply #74 on: 10 June 2010, 05:16:05 »
2000 faces...oh well, decimate it, it`ll give you a suprise.