Author Topic: Payable TechTree  (Read 5252 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Payable TechTree
« Reply #25 on: 2 May 2010, 03:53:34 »
No offense to anyone, but I think the point of free and open software is to be able to be used and modified by anyone for any purpose.  On top of that, they're still making the Glest source code available to people who otherwise might not know about it.  Because of this, I think this is a good idea because it promotes the Glest software and also make a little money to compensate the providers for their time and effort.  Now, if they chose to release the content under a free license later, then maybe we could have the best of both worlds?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2 May 2010, 05:07:17 »
So are you saying I can CP & PST glest on a CD and sell it for 2 grand?
If you're some kind of marketing genius, then yes.  Why wouldn't you be able to?
Because I didn't make it...  ::)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2010, 05:56:54 »
It's like selling bottled water.  Did Coke make the water?  No, but they put it in a bottle, named it Dasani, and sell it for a fee (and make a ridiculous amount of money while they're at it).

Gabbe

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2010, 08:46:42 »
No offense to anyone, but I think the point of free and open software is to be able to be used and modified by anyone for any purpose.  On top of that, they're still making the Glest source code available to people who otherwise might not know about it.  Because of this, I think this is a good idea because it promotes the Glest software and also make a little money to compensate the providers for their time and effort.  Now, if they chose to release the content under a free license later, then maybe we could have the best of both worlds?

Thanks, I`ll talk to GGeri later about the "best of both worlds" thing :)

But i really have to make some money for my class for this....

EDIT: WAIT! does that mean i can make copies of glest on a cd and sell them for "production price" like, if i buy the cds, make glest on them, then sell them for the price of the cds i can publish glest to the community as a "official game"?
It's like selling bottled water.  Did Coke make the water?  No, but they put it in a bottle, named it Dasani, and sell it for a fee (and make a ridiculous amount of money while they're at it).

But i © H2O and then sue coke for all their money....
« Last Edit: 2 May 2010, 14:02:31 by Gabriel, Gabbe »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2010, 21:11:58 »
If you sell it the free-software foundation might sue you  :o!
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2010, 23:18:18 »
If you sell it the free-software foundation might sue you  :o!
You're mistaken.  See here: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Quote from: FSF
Many people believe that the spirit of the GNU Project is that you should not charge money for distributing copies of software, or that you should charge as little as possible — just enough to cover the cost. This is a misunderstanding.

Actually, we encourage people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can.
(emphasis added)

jacko161

« Reply #31 on: 2 May 2010, 23:41:58 »
I just think it's not fair all glest players.... Glest is supposed to be a free game so why should people pay to use your Mod?????  If you want money go get a job you would probably make more money that way anyway

Gabbe

« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2010, 14:22:04 »
Its for my class holiday, i don`t know why GGeri does it, but my reason is to gain money for my class and im 13, selling newspapers but that money is for personal use.  ::)

wyvern

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2010, 14:40:22 »
Ok if you want I'll help you make the mod when I have the time, maybe

Gabbe

« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2010, 17:55:18 »
Talk to ggeri, hes the boss.