Author Topic: Faction Mods list  (Read 3111 times)

mjace72

Faction Mods list
« on: 4 May 2010, 03:57:22 »
I currently have Megaglest(Indians, Magic, Tech, Norsemen, Persian, and Egypt)  I also have Woodsmen, Dwarves, Romans_Beta, all 5 vbros packs with all those factions, Dark Magic and nihilirian.  Are there any other working factions out there I've missed?  I've seen mention of others but wasn't clear as if they are playable versions.  One that comes to mind is sun and moon.  Is that a playable version?  I tried to get the Romans 3 but the link from the topic on this site leads to somewhere you have to create an account to download.  I didn't need to create accounts at sites to get all the mods I currently have.  Is Romans 3 the next release after Romans_Beta?  If it is and is a better version, does anyone have a download link from a site that doesn't require accounts?  I prefer the more realistic factions in terms of modeling and units over the lego like looking factions.

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Faction Mods list
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2010, 05:52:27 »
Romans 3 is updated. The latest and final, I think  :| Romans 3 and the beta is the same faction... 
http://upload.ps/cb6fsbibq172/Romans-3.0.7z.htm - this? you do not need to register...at least for me  ::)
Sun and Moon- John is working on that  ::) No recent "playable" version  :(  ::)
Do not forgot the Whimsical Theme mod (mushroom and plants) but I do not know if it is still being worked on...  ::)
 https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5229.msg44951#msg44951
Also "Glest in Space!"  :|
Um...there are some ok mods on Mod DB... http://www.moddb.com/games/glest/mods  :|
and that is about it...maybe some other old "starter mods"  ::)
And a few that are being worked on.  :thumbup:

Have fun. Good Luck.  :)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2010, 05:54:41 »
I am going to update Romans soon, and did you try City?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2010, 07:49:57 »
I am going to update Romans soon, and did you try City?
Cool  :thumbup:
God, I keep forgetting about that...  :|  :( Must...not...forget.   ::)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2010, 09:40:44 »
Nobody has mentioned Gameboy's Elf faction yet. It needs a bit of polish to finish it off but it is still pretty playable  :thumbup:
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

wyvern

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2010, 13:16:29 »
Tech mk2 is there, and somewhere far back in the pages is starship troopers mod and the science faction. Neither is very great, no offense to the creators of these mods.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2010, 22:44:24 »
Nobody has mentioned Gameboy's Elf faction yet. It needs a bit of polish to finish it off but it is still pretty playable  :thumbup:
True...  ::)
I did but I restarted my post so I forgot about it...  :|
Tech mk2 is there, and somewhere far back in the pages is starship troopers mod and the science faction. Neither is very great, no offense to the creators of these mods.
Yeah well those are "starter/basic mods..."  ::)
Science faction is like good, could be good for younger ages I guess...  :|

mjace72

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2010, 02:08:48 »
Thanks for the links.  Are Romans 3 still as strong in game as the beta version?  I prefer some unbalance in my opponents and they seem to be one of the strongest factions, especially in mega computer, when their workers don't get stacked up on the maps.  I find the computer mega romans and Indians to be the strongest to face.  It seems to me the Norsemen and Woodsmen create the most units as megas but Indians and Romans always beat them out.   I've never seen the Romans fall in a 4 player game against the other computer mega opponents, and I've tried all the ones I listed above with the exception of several of the vbros packs.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2010, 02:15:40 »
with the exception of several of the vbros packs.
Try them then,  :)

Thanks for the links.  Are Romans 3 still as strong in game as the beta version?
Yes I think so Ill upload the new version soon.

mjace72

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2010, 02:25:13 »
If there isn't a big difference between beta and 3 then I'll wait for the new release to come out.  For now I'm going to customize factions with stuff that's out there, to make even more challenging opponents.

mjace72

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2010, 02:36:21 »
I can't model from scratch and remember seeing somewhere on this site, someone posting download links for single units.  If I was to download a unit, could and how would I then get it onto my blender?  If I had an actual humanoid model on the blender screen instead of a cube, I might be able to actually create something.  I'd really like to make some factions and would need help, but at this point I would have nothing to offer except ideas so if I could do the units, then I would have more to add.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2010, 02:59:05 »
The Roman military was the best of the times!

I made them strong on purpose, and 3.0 is quite a bit weaker than the BETA version, but still very powerful.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

mjace72

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2010, 03:09:46 »
I'll just add this post to this topic.  How about a sports themed faction?  It seems all the great armies have been covered so I'm left to improvise.  For instance, taking the Magician from the Persian faction, you could incorporate this into the sports theme, using the basketball player, using basketballs instead of the ball thing the magician uses, maybe a spiked ball.  Add some football players, in full gear, baseball player units with baseball bats.  Buildings would be cool, football stadiums create football players, maybe an indoor arena to create basketball and hockey players, a field to create the baseball players.  The workers could be called fans.  The goalie would be something like a heavy unit, like the Thor from Norseman, or the turtle formation, a heavily armed unit with some kind of modified goalie stick.  You could produce some big offensive linemen who would be something like a firegolem.  I'm still thinking of an air unit though.  Maybe some of the units are upgraded when researching sports enhancing drugs.  I know it could sound comical but it should be a realistic looking faction.  You'd also have to research each sport before building the main building for each sport so maybe starting with the warehouse structure(still undecided) and a dugout, which can produce an early defensive or offensive unit until you can start doing research.  This would be one faction, using football, baseball, basketball, and hockey players.  Other sports could be added so it would be a faction with plenty of buildings, upgrades, and units.

mjace72

« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2010, 03:10:26 »
you did great with the Romans and I enjoy playing against them.

mjace72

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2010, 03:28:43 »
I would call the faction the All-Star faction.  The whole offensive line should be the tank unit.  5 huge dudes as one unit, similar to the turtle formation.  Building the goal posts would give you an air defense structure.  The land defensive building would be that batter training machine, firing baseballs at opponents if they invade your base, something like the beehive or even earth serpent from Dark Magic.  The basketball throwing unit would be called a power forward and researching the 3 point shot could increase his sight, and other attributes.

mjace72

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2010, 03:34:32 »
The archer could be a referee, firing arrows with little penalty flags on them.  I'll post ideas when I can until a majority tells me the idea isn't good.  The gear could maybe have a futuristic look to it, still using helmets, caps, pads and all that, but more of a darker look to them.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2010, 05:20:48 »
Oooh...4 Posts in a row, what are you...like drunk  ::)  :P Just kidding...  :|
Nice Ideas...too bad there have been a lot of ideas now and then and 75% of them don't "make it"...
or for some reason progress stops like midway...  :(
Oh well, still, cool.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2010, 06:11:31 »
You can make any faction you want, this sound like it would be cool.

wyvern

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2010, 15:13:05 »
Would be fun considering that theres already a circus faction.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 5 May 2010, 17:21:16 »
What dose that have to do with this?

BTW: I made the circus faction.  :)

wyvern

« Reply #20 on: 5 May 2010, 17:43:29 »
Well circus is another funny un serious faction

mjace72

« Reply #21 on: 6 May 2010, 04:11:11 »
This wouldn't be a funny faction at all.  The uniforms would resemble the actual ones in terms of football players, helmets, pads, and the goalie mask on the goalie(unlike Jason from Friday 13th) but an actual current NHL goalie mask but instead of actual cloth the uniforms would be armored with maybe a dark look to them.  I've been doing some work with xml documents.  I don't know if I'm ready to actually make a faction in that I would have no idea how to create these particle xml's I see in some of the factions.  Progress wouldn't stop on my end, at least until I had the full amount of buildings, upgrades, and units.  I would need help with the animation, modeling, and maybe some of the xml's. 
Is there a specific program people use to create the little bmp command icons?  I could make probably make those.
I suppose the air unti could be something like the airship from tech(an armored goodyear blimp of sorts).

wyvern

« Reply #22 on: 6 May 2010, 13:10:29 »
I say its funny cuz its not militaristic

mjace72

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2010, 03:05:37 »
I did another custom mod, the Dominators.  It's an unbalanced one, but meant to play against for a challenge.  It uses Persian, Roman, Tech, Indian units and a norsemen and magic building or two seeing as I can't model or animate.  I did make new upgrades, half of which I can't get to work so you get the reward before you purchase the upgrade.  Can someone tell me, where in the faction or individual building xml, it designates how many upgrades are set for that building?  I don't see it but know it's there because if I take a building, which maybe originally only had one upgrade, add more upgrades to it, it doesn't work, telling me something about nodes and children not having one upgrade, or one requirement.  The computer somehow knows what the original upgrades or requirements were needed to make it, or at least the number but I can't find anywhere in the xml documents the setting for this so if you know, let me please.  I also made all new 64x64 bitmap icons(using spelled out commands, instead of images) but none of them worked so I couldn't use them.  I thought a bitmap was a bitmap.  I believe the error there referred to something about shared graphics and 2d but can't remember everything more.  It's a playable faction but I wish I could get all my new upgrades to work in it.