Author Topic: Malevolent Rising - Remake  (Read 112202 times)

ChupaReaper

Re: Malevolent Rising v0.6/v1.0 -TC Project
« Reply #75 on: 27 May 2010, 23:11:08 »
The site's html, etc is fine just the host doesn't seem to be showing images which may mess up the template too, have no problems in the UK viewing it anyway. I'll look into imageshack though.
Does this link work: http://darkspectral.totalh.com/Images/Games/MRise/MRiseNecribus04.png ?
If not try copying and pasting this into your address bar and trying to link to it:
Code: [Select]
http://darkspectral.totalh.com/Images/Games/MRise/MRiseNecribus04.png
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 23:13:57 by ChupaReaper »

Fluffy203

« Reply #76 on: 27 May 2010, 23:13:34 »
nope lol , least it didn't work for me

ChupaReaper

« Reply #77 on: 27 May 2010, 23:15:32 »
Gah, that's annoying, I'll have to look for a better free host, thing is, as annoying as this one is, I have a lot of storage, FTP and mysql for a database though my forums are down at the minute. Still, to imageshack...

Fluffy203

« Reply #78 on: 27 May 2010, 23:21:17 »
Now it works , but when you had the link as a "?" it didn't so your fine

ChupaReaper

« Reply #79 on: 27 May 2010, 23:28:18 »
Ok, well I've uploaded them all to ImageShack:

Fluffy203

« Reply #80 on: 27 May 2010, 23:32:35 »
is their a style to the faction or random things ?

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #81 on: 27 May 2010, 23:48:08 »
Actually, my whole home network of computers (for some reason) can't access your site...  ::)  :(
Anyways, looks really good and cool  :thumbup:

ChupaReaper

« Reply #82 on: 28 May 2010, 11:46:18 »
There is a style, as with all the factions in this project, two races working together created a mixture of two styles, gothic horror style for the werewolves (haunted houses, caves, evil towers) and a 'rugged' demonic style from the satyrs (red temples, huts, things made from bone)
Overall this faction has a horror style to it.
The next will have an Ice and Light style to it with icy buildings and white temples, marble buildings, etc.
The tricky part will be making The Damned faction different from this Necribus faction, as they're both horrific, the Damned will have a more abstract theme though compared to Necribus.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #83 on: 29 May 2010, 02:57:13 »
Another small update, done Zombie, Vile Zombie and the Spectral Gate, oh and Hell Portal but that can't be used yet (no demons to summon).
Also I've done some work to the website with it being nested among my other projects I decided to make it stand out more with a new theme.
http://darkspectral.totalh.com/Games/MRiseMain.html
A screenshot of the Spectral Gate is on it, no zombie shots yet though, going to finish the Crispin and Revenant then post a screenshot of all four.
For some reason after uploading all these changes, the images I have posted here are showing for me now, not sure about people from other connections.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 29 May 2010, 03:31:28 »
Pretty cool site.  Looks like you put a lot of work into it.  My only complaint is that it's a bit wide, so anybody without a wide-screen monitor is likely to have to scroll horizontally (and nobody likes that), so maybe using a more fluid layout would be the way to go.  I really like that you put so much detail into the "fluff".  It gives the impression that this is an entire imaginary existence, rather than just a set of units for a video game. :thumbup:

ChupaReaper

« Reply #85 on: 29 May 2010, 12:49:31 »
Thanks, it's became quite an old website overall but constantly changed over time. Its width is 1280, really anyone with less than that should really consider getting a modern monitor, the PSP and iPod touchs view it nicely too. Around 800 on the far right isn't really too important though so I could chop it off, but even with a width of 1024 no horizontal scrolling would be needed except to access the menu on the right which just leads to my forums which are down at the minute anyway. I'm going to try and make it adapt to different screen sizes in the future though so that should solve this problem.
Anyway, more zombies to do today lol, I've also started to hunt down a paramite model for use emailing this who who made a really nice one and a low poly textured version to match.

New screenshot of the zombies!
(click to show/hide)

Also I've got over half the upgrades done today, had a bit of spare time so decided to go through them, just got the demonic ones left but going to do them when I start working on the demons.
Now, I think it is time to get some wolves alongside the werewolves, Worg is next along with the upgrade obtained Baghest...
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 21:43:02 by -Archmage- »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #86 on: 29 May 2010, 21:43:50 »
The image link is bad.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Fluffy203

« Reply #87 on: 29 May 2010, 21:45:44 »
It was working , it looks good

Gabbe

« Reply #88 on: 29 May 2010, 21:47:42 »

here

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #89 on: 29 May 2010, 21:52:36 »
Nevermind, the image wasn't working before, if you notice I edited his post. But I actually didn't change anything, I just got the image link.....
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ChupaReaper

« Reply #90 on: 29 May 2010, 22:42:57 »
Yeah it's the stupid host, they seem to be working randomly, all fine on my actual website though, well for me anyway.

Gabbe

« Reply #91 on: 29 May 2010, 22:45:22 »
try not to spoler the images, might help, ans ame thing happens with my avatrs at random moments...

ChupaReaper

« Reply #92 on: 30 May 2010, 18:28:34 »
More screenshots... Done the worgs, baghest and epions.

Also I've done mega changes to the Spectral Gate and Demonic Portal. Because you can have more than 12 commands because of the GUI limit I've had to change things a bit due to having around 20 units to produce. Instead spires (spectral gate and demonic portal) can only upgrade and produce Pillars.
The are two pillars per spire, I'm going to play about with the GAE pet feature to limit how many pillars a spire can produce. Each pillar produces different units, and if the pet thing works right, when the pillar's spire is destroyed, so are the pillars but not the other way round. Spires are now cheaper and pillars cost a bit. I messed around with the cellmaps of the spires so that the first two pillars produced are in front on either side, more can then be made (until I get the pet thing working right), these extra pillars get dotted about the place but its the first two that are important.

This way making units is more organized, I don't need to worry about limits, just add another pillar if necessary and it is kinda cool. You could want fast production of a certain units thus build say a spectral gate with two pillars of the dead to produce zombies are twice the rate, or two pillars of spectral shadows to get a load of epions flying about fast or build one of each pillar and have access to all units, of course you can build more than one spectral gate so there is no limit, same goes for the hell portal.

I've also start to pay about with multi-build and walls, the AI isn't liking all of this but playing against people is always better anyway, the AI works enough for a basic game. One problem with walls at the minute, when I send a unit to build a line of wall it will only build the first piece, is this feature fully functional yet, or have I done something wrong? I'm gonna search for a pack with walls in it and compare, the wall unit itself was based off some other successful unit I found lying around this form when I search multi-build but nothing on the build command/skill, I'm guessing there's something wrong there.

Fluffy203

« Reply #93 on: 30 May 2010, 18:43:35 »
I keep seeing WoW satry's and is that crossbow from the torque game engine , i'm pretty sure it is

ChupaReaper

« Reply #94 on: 30 May 2010, 19:21:05 »
Re-textured and reanimated WoW satyrs there with a beard trim too so they don't look as WoWish, though still a bit but the faction as a whole doesn't have that Warcraft feel and nope I don't have the Torque game engine.
A little update after getting the pet thing working, spires (spectral gate and hell portal) can only produce one pillar of each type so that's a total of two pillars per spire and they're both different, also if the spire is destroyed, so are its pillars.
Knowing how the pet system works, I'm going to have fun when it comes to making the DooM Cacodemons and Pain Elementals... Anyone who knows Doom II+ well will know what's coming here!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #95 on: 31 May 2010, 11:08:25 »
Good news and bad news...
Bad first: I might not be having paramites in this project, it's a shame because they'd fit in so well, they will have a replacement which will take on the same role with a similar style.
Good News: The shades are working now -screenshot coming later, they're big, fast with lots of health but expensive; they're also the first unit to use GAE's emanations, creating a 16 cell radius effect called Dark Haste, this increases the movement speed and attack of all units near the shade by 100 movement and 50 attack speed. This effect does not stack it overwrites.
I may add an emanation to spectral epions to increase speed but only a tiny bit with a small radius so normal epions and blood epions can keep up with them.

Also I found some AI problems:
> AI only build one building that offers fighting units, the Lycaden.
I'm not sure how to get around this, I could make the Babel cheaper but then they would only build that instead, also got the Spectral Gate and Hell Portal to deal with, some form of AI flags in the XML would be a good idea, this way the AI has more of an idea on how to use each unit. <important value="true"/> would mean that the AI would have to build this at some point in a random order with other units or better still <importance value="#"/> the lowest number takes priority. <siegebuilding value="true"/> would let the AI they need them for attack. Some AI flags in the faction XML would really be good stuff like <siegebuildings-toattack value="#"/> how many siege buildings should the AI have at least before it makes its first attack. Could sit here all day and list loads of useful flags. Could link storage buildings with resources so the AI opts to build them next to their suitable resource, etc too. I'll copy this over as a feature request.

> Minor spire problem, due to how pillars are produced, if a unit is standing where the pillar should go, the pillar is built else where which doesn't affect anything but it doesn't look as cool. An alternate to pillars is using morph to have the building instantly morph to another version of its self to produce different units, but I think the pillars are more interesting.

> Flying unit problem, yet again this doesn't affect game play, the Necropolis city (big tower) has a really high height, but even if I set its height in the xml to something insane like 800 (its actual height is approximately 24), flying units still fly into it looking odd. I've tried messing on giving it a land and air field value sao tat it takes up air space but one overwrites the other and I don't want a floating tower, not for this faction anyway...

> Tried a network game and it seems when fog of war is enabled players on the same team share the same player so me and my brother were green where my brothers player was left standing like a dummy doing nothing, not sure about the AI as the fog of war was hiding them. I had utorrent running which did lag things a lot so I'll try it again at some point with a clean connection.

> Walls using multi-build are being a pain, a worker will walk over to start buildings a line of wall but stop after the first bit, does multi-build work yet, I know Ai doesn't use it, etc yet.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2010, 13:32:41 by ChupaReaper »

ChupaReaper

« Reply #96 on: 31 May 2010, 13:42:08 »
Found a work around for the walls, it only works if you hold down shift to queue multiple commands, else the unit just builds the first wall then stops, with shift the unit goes to the finish and builds from there to the start. I should make gatehouses now and use a morph to open and close then, I'll make two types vertical and horizontal until rotation is implemented into GAE.

Edit (Rather than having three posts in a row):
Got gatehouses working perfectly! They wont close (morph into their closed version) if there is a unit inside them but that's not much of a problem, it means you can't hide units in gatehouses. Here is a screenshot showing the new Shade (giant black lizard thing), some walls and Gatehouses. One annoying thing, the see through model of when a building is about to be placed is slightly offset from the map so placing walls accurately can be annoying until you get used to the offset.

As usual it may randomly work/not work depending on what mood my host is in, if it doesn't try my website or copying the images URL and linking to it.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2010, 19:34:19 by ChupaReaper »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #97 on: 31 May 2010, 22:50:35 »
Wow, there is really fast progress on this project! Is all we see on the screenshots already animated too?

When will we see some downloads and will this be a free project?
« Last Edit: 31 May 2010, 23:06:36 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 31 May 2010, 22:56:26 »
Re-textured and reanimated WoW satyrs
Do you mean they're the actual models from that game?  Are you sure that's a good idea, from a copyright standpoint?  Blizzard is notoriously ruthless when it comes to hackers, so I'd hate to think what would happen if you get them mad...

Fluffy203

« Reply #99 on: 31 May 2010, 23:40:58 »
He extracted them from WOW and re-rolled them , but blizzard wont care , i notice how some of his stuff clashes , so i can tell he didn't make it all , but blizzard doesn't care , they barely care about all of the private servers that let you play it for free (bugs) , but some are very very very well done  :thumbup:

anything