Author Topic: 5 Feature Requests (MERGED)  (Read 3668 times)

ChupaReaper

5 Feature Requests (MERGED)
« on: 7 May 2010, 14:13:46 »
I'm new to these forums so I'm not sure if there's a thread for feature requests, couldn't find one so I've posted here.
1. More players (like 8 in MegaGlest), with a higher player cap my new GAE project will be awesome in multiplayer.
2. Buildings that build themselves, so rather than having to get a unit to walk over to a building and build it, can a building just be placed and build itself, this way I can have my City building create other buildings without having to have units walk over and do it, of course there will have to be a range limit else a building could be built anywhere.
3. Music playlists, so rather than having one huge music file, maybe an xml playlist or just music played a random from a specified folder, or a playlist or list of music to randomly play could be defined in the faction xml like the GAE only sounds are?

Also I have a possible fourth request/question, is there a way to have a unit be random when created, so you click to create a unit but what is created is random, this way I can have a 50/50 chance to make either a male unit or a female unit?
« Last Edit: 7 May 2010, 14:16:28 by ChupaReaper »

Hectate

Re: 3 Feature Requests
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2010, 20:59:42 »
Sorry if this is out of place, but in reference to request 2, shouldn't a building be able to use the same actions/commands as a worker unit? As far as Glest is concerned, there's no differences between them except what is coded into the XML.

CR: See what happens if you copy the building commands from the workers to the castle and then have the castle do the building beside it. Range would be limited since the castle doesn't move, and I'm pretty sure the castle will be "fully occupied" with the building command and unable to process anything else, but it should be possible I think... Anyone care to comment?

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2010, 21:14:38 »
Yes that is possible but it would have no range, you could only build 1 building and the bottom right corner (Well that is for vanilla Glest or MG, but for GAE you probably could build buildings all around the unit.).  :)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2010, 09:44:13 »
1. More players (like 8 in MegaGlest), with a higher player cap my new GAE project will be awesome in multiplayer.
The next version will support at least 8 players.

2. Buildings that build themselves, so rather than having to get a unit to walk over to a building and build it, can a building just be placed and build itself, this way I can have my City building create other buildings without having to have units walk over and do it, of course there will have to be a range limit else a building could be built anywhere.
Interesting idea, will add a new ticket...

3. Music playlists, so rather than having one huge music file, maybe an xml playlist or just music played a random from a specified folder, or a playlist or list of music to randomly play could be defined in the faction xml like the GAE only sounds are?
This has been talked about before, simple task, should be in 0.3.

Also I have a possible fourth request/question, is there a way to have a unit be random when created, so you click to create a unit but what is created is random, this way I can have a 50/50 chance to make either a male unit or a female unit?
This one would be a little tricky, but with the proviso that all such units have the same 'time' value, this should be do-able, will add another ticket.

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 21:35:12 »
1. 8 players, excellent, just got to get my project to its first 'phase' now and there will be many good times ahead!
2. I don't think I'll be using the self building buildings now, not sure could still do that but I've started to get used to having sort of worker units do the building.
3. Good, random playlist will be better than one massive music file, for now though I'm going to edit a nice playlist into one ogg.

Gabbe

« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2010, 21:44:12 »

Or random textures, so there can be two textures for a unit each randomly appear.

Or liek this, when attacked then one music file is being played and when not attacked normal song.
Buildings that build themselves, so rather than having to get a unit to walk over to a building and build it, can a building just be placed and build itself, this way I can have my City building create other buildings without having to have units walk over and do it, of course there will have to be a range limit else a building could be built anywhere.

Maybe that you could place a building within your LoS (Line of sight) and then it would slowly appear as if some worker builds it.

Awesome!

« Last Edit: 16 May 2010, 21:47:20 by Gabriel, Gabbe »

ChupaReaper

2 more requests!
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2010, 21:46:53 »
1. Multiple ways to harvest the same resource and ways to convert resources (so I can create a buy/sell goods system), atm I have a supplies resource and wealth, will hopefully add population, I wanted a minimalist approach, but it would be good if supplies could be mined, chopped, etc, I'm not sure if there is a way to do this as i haven't looked really deep into resources yet though. I had an idea to create a wood cutters, so wood could be sent to the woodcutters which would then slowly translate it into supplies, same process for food.
2. Not so important but nice yet tricky I imagine, to be able to choose you team colour (from a selection defined in an xml or using an in game colour picker) and to have he host select starting places on a map.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2010, 21:55:08 »
Or random textures, so there can be two textures for a unit each randomly appear.
That would be good to vary units a bit, but for male and female randomization, it wouldn't work as well.
Or liek this, when attacked then one music file is being played and when not attacked normal song.
Could all but set in the faction's xml, playlists for both, maybe other situations as well such as an opening theme, or units can trigger playlists (say you finally get to build a really important once only building) or through upgrades, and some parts of each playlist could only play when a certain subfaction is active, all sorts that could be done with playlists, could use them to add dynamics to hero units too.
Maybe that you could place a building within your LoS (Line of sight) and then it would slowly appear as if some worker builds it.
Would maybe be better is a range was set, that is I'm right in thinking, trees, buildings, etc affect LoS?

Gabbe

Re: 2 more requests!
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2010, 21:58:05 »
2. Not so important but nice yet tricky I imagine, to be able to choose you team colour (from a selection defined in an xml or using an in game colour picker) and to have he host select starting places on a map.

i though you could choose your team colour when starting a game, if you mean by selecting your specific colour, not as helpfull...

jda

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2010, 00:02:40 »
Would maybe be better is a range was set, that is I'm right in thinking, trees, buildings, etc affect LoS?
Trees, buildings etc do not affect the line of sight. But a building won't be built (even partillay) on top of such objects, of course. :P
The LoS might be affected by day/night later on but currently it is affected by nothing (other than possibly an upgrade, I think, well... nothing the player doesn't specifically ask for that's for sure :P ).

jda

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2010, 00:13:34 »
1. Multiple ways to harvest the same resource and ways to convert resources (so I can create a buy/sell goods system), atm I have a supplies resource and wealth, will hopefully add population, I wanted a minimalist approach, but it would be good if supplies could be mined, chopped, etc, I'm not sure if there is a way to do this as i haven't looked really deep into resources yet though. I had an idea to create a wood cutters, so wood could be sent to the woodcutters which would then slowly translate it into supplies, same process for food.
A resource-converter/'tradepost' has been discussed before. I never tried anything like it but something like a command "Buy 50 Gold" that costs 150 stone might be a starting point. But I recall someone mentioning the "available resources on the map". Dunno...  :|

What you can already do:
1. Change e.g. Red to Purple in data/core/faction_textures/faction0.tga like you taught me! :P
2. In a "Custom game" choose your player-number: 1=Red, 2=Blue, ... This will also choose your position in the map and the two are inseparable (as of now).
3. In a Scenario XML choose what player-number will be "Human" (just like you would on a custom game).

Regarding the player selecting Starting places... I actually enjoy the first time I play a map that it is unknown to me (I have to discover it) and that I don't know where the other bases are. Hate map screenshots. :P

ChupaReaper

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2010, 00:49:22 »
Ok, then all we need really then is a build skill that can be ranged, this would solve the problem of building ship docks, etc too because if non water units have range they don't have to go straight into the water to build, also other buildings can build buildings or 'extensions' to themselves, though the buildings would need to share the same health, etc.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2010, 00:54:24 »
Random positions are fun but sometimes I find with RTS games I have a favourite place lol, it would be nice to choose overall, though this isn't too important right now, the resource converting would be really useful, though I still need to look right into things to check if it isn't already doable somehow, I know one way I think but it's quite messy: units can cost resources to build but can also cost a negative amount therefore you get resources when they are built, maybe if there's a way to charge an action resources it would work, this is good for trading but not for something that is done automatically.

jda

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2010, 02:49:14 »
That's what I meant above... :P Please read:

Random positions are fun but sometimes I find with RTS games I have a favourite place lol, it would be nice to choose overall,
2. In a "Custom game" choose your player-number: 1=Red, 2=Blue, ... This will also choose your position in the map and the two are inseparable (as of now).
3. In a Scenario XML choose what player-number will be "Human" (just like you would on a custom game).
A player (e.g. 1, 2, ...) 's position is setup on the map you're playing. Actually, only GAE (AFAIK) gives you the option to randomize that. :P You can still set that randomization to NO and select the position you want to play (1, 2, ...) which you know where will be placed.

the resource converting would be really useful, though I still need to look right into things to check if it isn't already doable somehow, I know one way I think but it's quite messy: units can cost resources to build but can also cost a negative amount therefore you get resources when they are built, maybe if there's a way to charge an action resources it would work, this is good for trading but not for something that is done automatically.
A resource-converter/'tradepost' has been discussed before. I never tried anything like it but something like a command "Buy 50 Gold" that costs 150 stone might be a starting point. But I recall someone mentioning the "available resources on the map". Dunno...  :|
Have your building/unit produce a size 0 unit that costs -50 gold and 150 stone. ;)

Fluffy203

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2010, 14:06:37 »
buildings can build buildings or 'extensions' to themselves, though the buildings would need to share the same health, etc.
Why not just create an upgradable building that has a morph anim that shows the extension being built. Then the upgraded building will have the extension added and all of the properties. Don't have to make a whole new feature just use some creative thinking , use what you got  :thumbup:

jda

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2010, 19:26:53 »
gAMeboy's Elf faction has that. ;)

ChupaReaper

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2010, 23:02:08 »
Oh yeah... forgot about morphing, that would work, only not for a more Rise of Legends city extension thing, where you place multiple sub buildings onto it, ok for having just on extension but for different kinds which can be added in any order morphing would do the job. If the pets thing works, buildings could just create pets as their extensions, however that works.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2010, 23:06:47 »
Can you change your player number on network games? I haven't tried it out yet, gonna get my mod more playable first.
Would producing loads of size 0 units lag the game eventually? And still can't have an automatic way of doing it, well guess a building's stop skill could just keep producing size 0 units to constantly convert resources but what if this lags the game?

Fluffy203

« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2010, 00:10:23 »
Yes that does work , now your thinking out side box  :thumbup:

jda

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2010, 13:05:00 »
Can you change your player number on network games? I haven't tried it out yet, gonna get my mod more playable first.
The host defines what positions are played by "Network".

Would producing loads of size 0 units lag the game eventually? And still can't have an automatic way of doing it, well guess a building's stop skill could just keep producing size 0 units to constantly convert resources but what if this lags the game?
1. Ah, yes... I'm starting to recall on what the problem the tip I gave you was... I think I also remember people saying the you could give some negative HP Regeneration value to the said unit but then you would loose that resource you'd purchased when the unit died...  :( Really, there's whole thread on the forum about it, search for "trading post" or something like that. ;)