Author Topic: Model Exporting Problems -SOLVED!  (Read 1624 times)

ChupaReaper

Model Exporting Problems -SOLVED!
« on: 8 May 2010, 00:58:24 »
I've got two horrible problems here:

1. The XML exporter script for blender comes up with this error: "ImportError: No module named subprocess." it then highlights this line in the .py script: "import subprocess, os".
-Needed to download Blender 2.48 (latest with python 2.5 as 2.6 is not compatible).

2. I downloaded the zip with glexemel (linked in the wikia here: http://www.glest.org/files/contrib/tools/glexemel_win32_0.1a.zip) but when I try to extract xml2g.exe it just doesn't work, I've tried using windows expoerer, winrar and repairing the archive with win rar and I've downloaded it over 100 times but it just wont let me extract that file and comes up with no errors either, all the other files extract file, if someone could re-upload glexemal that would be awesome.
-Turns out stupid McAffee was to blame, because it was requesting me to register and when it's doing this it doesn't tell you when it's deleted 'potential viruses'. I've upgraded to Avast now lol!

If would be good if GAE added support for .obj, though they don't support animation they're good for static models and its probably the most universal format i've come across. .md2 support (quake 2) would be perfect because my last project used that natively, it uses simple morph animation and is quite a universal friednly format too, this is probably a lot to ask for.
« Last Edit: 9 May 2010, 11:48:07 by ChupaReaper »

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
Re: Model Exporting Problems
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2010, 11:08:42 »
What blender and python version do you have installed?

ChupaReaper

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2010, 12:04:22 »
They're both a fresh install of the latest versions (haven't used them since getting my new laptop).
Blender v2.49b
Python v2.6.5
« Last Edit: 8 May 2010, 12:06:50 by ChupaReaper »

jda

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2010, 21:49:47 »
The export script actually needs python 2.5, NOT 2.6 which is not backwards compatible to 2.5. ;)

Also, the wikia gives you two different links for two different export scripts (at least for Linux it does), use the newer. ;)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2010, 23:09:04 »
The export script actually needs python 2.5, NOT 2.6 which is not backwards compatible to 2.5. ;)
Ah, that explains why I've been having trouble exporting on my new Linux installation.

*installs v2.5*

ChupaReaper

« Reply #5 on: 9 May 2010, 02:43:33 »
That's better exporting fine now, only I need xml2g.exe, I've tried all sorts of links and they all lead to the same zip which just wont let me extract xml2g lol, if someone could send me their copy that would be awesome.

ChupaReaper

Re: Model Exporting Problems -SOLVED!
« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2010, 11:24:30 »
Fixed the problem! Turns out stupid McAffee was to blame, because it was requesting me to register and when it's doing this it doesn't tell you when it's deleted 'potential viruses'. I've upgraded to Avast now lol!
« Last Edit: 9 May 2010, 11:48:18 by ChupaReaper »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2010, 16:27:20 »
Odd, I have blender 2.49 with BOTH python 2.5 and 2.6... That works well, despite blender using 2.6. Give that a try.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ChupaReaper

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2010, 22:37:20 »
With blender using python 2.6 it does not work, nor does the obj scripts or md2 scripts, maybe some versions of blender with python 2.6 do work, I haven't tried them all and also maybe there's a 32/64 bit issue, whatever the case the version of blender I'm using now works perfectly so I'm not going to bother messing around with other versions for a while.
Some new python 2.6 scripts would be cool so would 3ds max 2010 but that software is expensive to get, really awesome though. A good morph animation model format is the md2 format though and this model format has never let me down, though I can easily convert md2s to g3d now anyway.