Author Topic: My custom mods  (Read 4058 times)

mjace72

My custom mods
« on: 13 May 2010, 05:30:30 »
I wanted a new topic to keep this all together.  I've customized already created units and made two working factions, Dark Indian, and Dominators.  These were created for those, like me, who are waiting for new factions to be released and have come to a point where we've played against the already made factions enough.  Of course, you can command them as well and I do, but I made them mostly as an opponent.  In a 4 player game, myself(Dark Magic), 3 computer megas(Dark Indians, Dominators, and Romans_Beta), which I tested in two different games, the Dominators defeated the Romans both times.
If I had permission from those who originally created the units, I would share these factions with you.  The Dominators was more thought out but I need some help to really call it finalized as things I wanted to include, don't work but again, it's playable as is though the reward units for some upgrades are able to be created without the upgrade, which leaves no reason to purchase the upgrade.  I left these upgrades in, in case someone could help me make them work.  I'm not sure of a written out tree thing so this is the Domiantors(original unit names follow the new names if applicable).
Start-3 slaves(Egypt), one worker(Tech), 1 archer(Tech), 2 guards(Tech), and the Castle(Tech).
Resources are food, gold, wood, stone, and housing.  When I think of military units in terms of food, I think rations so I wanted to better incorporate this thinking into the game.  Military units go under the housing, while your slaves and workers follow the food resource.  There are some exceptions but we won't jump ahead yet.  This is the order I wanted to faction to go, but you can jump ahead because of certain upgrades not working.
First is a house(summoners guild from magic).  This building creates a slave_master(wartime mechanic from Romans).  It researches slavery and then after that allows you to create slaves.  The Castle creates workers.  Currently you can create slaves without researching slavery(I need to fix this).
Next is the barracks(Tech).  You create the training field here, then can create Guards(Tech), Archers(Tech), General(Romans), and Turtle Formation(Romans).
Originally I had taken the norsemen blacksmith and renamed it proving ground.  This would be made after you research romans but that upgrade doesn't work and I had to omit the proving ground entirely, leaving the turtle formation accessible from the start in the Barracks.
The farm is from Norsemen and here you create chickens, pigs, cows, and the bull(Indians).  The bulls attack has been taken away and simply serves the same purpose as the other animals.  Being a meat cutter nearly 12 years, I can tell you, you're not buying cow meat at your local supermarket.  Cows are for milk and steaks you purchase at the store are steer meat.  This is the thinking I use with the animals.
Next is the blacksmith(tech).  Here you research sword_advancement, arrow advancement, shield advancement, and spear advancement.  These upgrades work the same as they originally were, though the names were changed and the shield one and two were combined and instead of +10 armour each, the one just gives the +20 and I seperated the piercing weapons into spear and arrow.
The Library(Magic) also has multiple research.  You can research Native_Americans, Persia, Romans, Thunderbird_training, physical training, and architectural_advancement.  The first three aren't working, which allows you to build those factions buildings without doing the research.
The Roundtent produces axe indians and axe throwers.
The Temple(Persia) produces the swordman(persia).
The Stable(horsefarm from Indians) researches stables then allows you to create the Horseman(Tech)  The Thunderbird is produced here too, after researching thunderbird_training.  These are two units that food, being animal units, but seeing as the horse is ridden, that unit requires 2 each food and housing.  The Thunderbird requires 5 food.
The Tower(defense tower from Tech) is the final building.
I couldn't get the slave/worker concept to work the way I intended it to.  I wanted slaves to harvest, while workers build.  The worker can harvest but the slave can't build.  I couldn't get this to work fully so had to improvise, making the slave build only the castle.  I wanted the incentive there to use both slaves and workers.  I wasn't sure which number to change in the slave xml, but want them to move slightly faster than a worker.  The slave can currently carry 50 gold, stone and wood each instead of the workers 25, 25, 20.
This wasn't just throwing units together, but was thought out and took me time to accomplish.  It seems the most thought out concepts don't work for me.
If I add upgrade requirement, native americans to the roundtent xml, it doesn't load.  If I add romans to requirements in the turtle formation, it doesn't load.  I don't know why because other ones do work.  The thunderbird can't be produced until the training is done and this one works.
This faction doesn't really have a set theme to it, more like a motley crue of units but in games, using them, and against them, they seem to play well.
I changed nearly all values but won't list them all here but a few examples are, the General will cost you 1000 gold and the turtle formation will be 1000 gold, 500 wood and take up 10 housing.
I tried to add a plus 20 housing to the barracks but it wouldn't load so currently the only housing is through the castle, which is 100 for each castle.  I set it that high for the computer so it wouldn't have to limit it's army, especially as a mega opponent. 
It would have been nice to add a new, unique unit or building to this faction but I simply can't model, or animate and have come to accept the fact these are things I can not do.

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: My custom mods
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2010, 06:20:28 »
Hmm...seems cool...probably unbalanced  ::) ...but fun I guess.
Nice description. Sounds great.  :thumbup:  :bomb:
OK, maybe you could upload it? The best ones to use are filefront and mediafire IMO...  ::) maybe dropbox...
http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.filefront.com/
both have tons of ads, but that is mostly the only con of them...besides the file size limit, but I don't think the file size would be really big...unless you you did not archive it...  ::)
Easiest and best one would be 7z... best would be ultra compression in the settings...
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
Yeah something new, so maybe....I'll try it...if you upload it.  ::)

But yeah, would be cool if other people, such as me, could see what you are talking about...and maybe have some fun I guess...  ::)

Thanks.  :)  :thumbup:

mjace72

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2010, 02:11:39 »
I'm not sure what permissions I'd need to upload it here.  I used Indians, Persians, Egypt, Magic, Tech, Romans, Norsemen units so the creators of those would have to ok it.  Dark Indians folder weighs in at 75.2 MB but looking through I could probably make it smaller.  These are the file sizes before any compression.  The Dominators are 64.9 MB.  For comparison Dark Magic is 70.5 MB, Romans is 96.9, and Norsemen are at 74.5 so they are larger than the Tech or Magic, but not that much larger than others.
I also replaced the archer with the fire archer and replaced the axe indian with the stickfighter in the Dominators today.
I'm thinking of doing another faction with mostly creatures.  So far the Golem, Fire Golem, Behemoth, Gargoyle, Imp come to mind.  I could use the acolytes for the workers.  Not the animal units though, like the snake or beetle dude from Egypt.  I'd have to figure out how to increase the golems speed as he'd serve a different purpose in the faction.  Cheapen the cost of the Behemoth and implement him more as a stickfighter/swordsmen type unit.  I could use the Daemon and morlock but would have to beef up their stats.
The key here is unbalance as I make these to serve as opponents.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2010, 22:06:45 »
Well, just ask them...I guess
Titi, Archmage, Modman, John, and Eliminator...maybe others  :|
But if that is the file size, and you compress it...then it will be small...  :P  :thumbup:

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2010, 02:53:02 »
You certainly have my permission to use anything from Dark Magic that you want, as long as you abide by CC-By-SA, meaning that you have to give credit to GLADE and you have be willing to share (which is the same as <almost?> all the other mods except Military which has a non-commercial clause).  Have fun.

mjace72

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2010, 02:22:04 »
Thank you for the permission.  I may wait on a release and do a full mixed up megapack type deal.  I've finished my 3rd and 4th custom factions.  Creature Clan is about as unbalanced as you can get and quite a challenge.  My best faction is now Evil Inc.  I've renamed all the units in it and made a 5th faction, which is just a slimmed down version of Evil, Inc. called the High Order.
In Evil, Inc the worker is the worker from Indians, called The_Damned and will morph into the Dark Mage who is called a Sin_Sentry, using the worker dying animation path to morph.  It may look better if I can get the dying to not repeat itself but as it is, it looks bizarre, which could be a good thing.  This is Evil, Inc with the original unit names after it.
Units:
Death Church(Sheol Temple)
Death Knight(Ghost Armor)
Demesne Of Damnation(Summoner Guild)
Demonic Dragon(Evil Dragon)
Destroyer(Behemoth)
Hellfire Monstrosity(Firegolem)
Infernal Viper(Earth Serpent)
Perdition Monument(Tower Of Souls)
Purgatory Priestess(Sorceress)
Ritual Of Irruption(20 Energy)
Sin Sentry(Dark Mage)
Soul Stripper(Alliyp)
The Damned(Indian Worker)
Torture Chamber(Oblivion Portal)
Well Of Torment(Blood Fountain)
Upgrades:
Annihilationism
Death Legion Conjuration
Evocation Of Maliciousness
Ritual Of Suffering
Soul Misappropriation.

The High Order uses only the Sin Sentry, Soul Stripper, Demonic Dragon and Purgatory Priestess.  I also added the Purgatory Disciple who is also the Sorceress but can't produce and can only harvest and removed The Damned.  You can then promote to Priestess.  While mining and harvesting or building, I used the conjure animation path so when working, her head spins around. 

wyvern

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2010, 02:43:48 »
Maybe you should try learning to make your own models because you have great ideas, no doubt about it :thumbup: :thumbup:. but I find that if all the units are the same old models, the gameplay becomes boring, thats why I restarted the gervoriath, because I wanted new models. Other then that good job, and please post a download link.

mjace72

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2010, 03:04:01 »
Thanks.  I've tried to model but it's not working for me.  I see how to take the cube in blender and shape it to humanoid but to actually do that for me isn't going well.  I don't have any download links but here's a couple screens from the creature clan,

Here's a couple screens of the worst unit stacking I have ever seen in game.  This was computer mega Egypt.  I racked up 3200 kills in this game.  The mass to the right on the map, looking the size of a massive base, is actually the cluster.  The second map view shows the mass coming for me.  Dark Mages, Alliyps, with Evil Dragon support pretty much decimated the entire mass but it was far from easy.  Egypt as a computer mega is crazy.  This is also why I play without fog of war, just to see things like this.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2010, 03:32:27 »
Wow, looks great... can't wait when you get all the permissions and such, then you can upload them I guess  ::)
About the unit stacking, hmm...I wonder if there is like a limit of units the AI can handle  :|
I don't know...hmm usually/ most of the time, units are only "stacking" because of them trying to get resources and such...(so mostly worker types)
-----------------------------
Well, cool...  :)
Once you do upload them, whenever you do, I probably won't be "synchronized" with the factions since
a.) the names...(hard to memorize) I guess
b.) the units... probably won't get used to it  :|

Still, looks cool and fun...
Interesting.

wyvern

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2010, 14:06:44 »
Great, I love the screenshots, when will you be able to upload ;D ;D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:Do you know how retexture units, that could help.

mjace72

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2010, 15:41:18 »
Thanks for the comments.  If I was to upload all 5 factions which are Dark Indian, Dominators, Creature Clan, Evil Inc. and the High Order in one folder and include a text document naming the original creators and the Glade team, would that be enough or is there more I need to do?  I'm just looking to have fun with the game and not steal anyone's stuff but now it's come a time where the interest is there and I am willing to share that which I have customized.  These were all made as opponents for me to play against so things as HP, attack strength are boosted in certain units and with the mega computer opponent harvesting 5x faster, I increased the amount of resources it takes to create these units.  There is unbalance with these factions as I wasn't looking for a balanced computer opponent.  There wouldn't be much challenge in that.  I still prefer to play as the Indians but these customized mods can be hard to beat and find myself using them myself.  Seeing what the computer mega Egypt or Romans_Beta does, I don't see any of my customized mods being that much more unbalanced.
I believe 5 is where I stop.  I count 5 but the 5th, High Order is just a slimmed down version of Evil, Inc with the change of the worker.
I don't know how to texture.  I would have liked to do the buildings in a black marble and maybe an insignia of some sort on the units outfits.
The names in Evil Inc are all original and I would have liked all new models to go with them but I haven't the ability.
The Earth Serpent looks great and I like it as my Infernal Viper but I would have preferred something similar but with 3 heads firing from one base structure.
My air defense building would be something resembling an upside down cross.  The torture chamber would be an evil looking building, bloodstains on the inner walls, as much as one can see in gameplay as well as bones scattered about the perimeter.
I like the way Dark Magic looks and Evil Inc. isn't meant to be like it, though it's units fit the best with my idea.  Evil Inc is hellish in theme.  One thinks of the devil and hell, one may not be thinking things of magic.  There's not zombies or vampires in the theme either so it's not to do with the undead just a faction of evilness.
Dark Indians, Dominators, and the Creature clan were just putting together different units in fun but Evil Inc was something I wanted to create  and had I the knowledge to model or knew someone that could model, I'd like to see the faction all original.  I could replace one unit at a time, until they were all new.
I could probably do a building but I know how it would come out and I wouldn't be satisfied with it.  I would want the more professional look to the buildings and not the lego look I'm sure I'd be creating.
I'll try to post the structure of the Creature Clan another time as I never did because I had went into working on Evil, Inc right after making it.

Gabbe

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2010, 15:43:56 »
What in the hooly shit is that massive army? and in glest!?  :O :O

mjace72

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2010, 15:55:02 »
That was an 8 player game I played, using the High Order faction I customized for the first time to see how it would play.  I played with 7 computer megas, Romans, Persians, and Egypt among them.  I had Indians to my direct right and Norsemen to the bottom of me so it was all I could do to keep from being destroyed early.  Egypt was below Norsemen but began wiping out the Romans in the bottom right and Dark Magic(where that massive army stayed afterward so when I did beat the Indians finally I took notice.  I've seen the enemy swarm to a base, even after destroyed but they usually go elsewhere but for some reason, they didn't and they continued to send their troops to that spot, ignoring me and that's what that massive army is.  I was rebuilding my army after the Indians base battle so I was happy for the lack of attack by them.

Gabbe

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2010, 15:58:05 »
You know, i don`t think ultifid may be able to record or even boot after played with those insane amounts of units...This never happens with my MEGA or ULTRA, mhm if you donno how to model, check out my free models, anyone mite use :D

mjace72

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2010, 16:12:14 »
Thank you.  I don't know how to animate either though.
When they began to swarm at me, the game did slow up until the battle was underway.  I'd never seen anything like it myself.  I set it up because they wouldn't come for me, even when I attacked a unit getting close, they began to come, but once the unit died, they just pulled back so in the 2nd screen you can see my red formation, to the south of my base.  I used a resource pile and a tree line and strategically placed my units, the red circle slightly to the left are a group of 16 evil dragons.  I was able to stand ground and take out roughly 70%, using the dragons carefully.  After they killed the last of my units there, my base defense was enough to mow them down as they came up at me.  I think they were done after that because I swarmed their base and game over.  3220 kills that game but I also killed off the Norsemen and Indians and battled Tech in the game too.

wyvern

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2010, 16:27:40 »
Basic retexturing is easy, take the original units tga file and open it in gimp or some other drawing program. then color over the original texture to make it the color you want, then save it, make sure compression is turned off

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2010, 22:45:56 »
You know, i don`t think ultifid may be able to record or even boot after played with those insane amounts of units...This never happens with my MEGA or ULTRA, mhm if you donno how to model, check out my free models, anyone mite use :D
Actually, I can...and I think you can too  ::) if you are simply just recording...
If I DID, and it was a 8 player mega game, then it would just be harder...  ::)
If I was to upload all 5 factions which are Dark Indian, Dominators, Creature Clan, Evil Inc. and the High Order in one folder and include a text document naming the original creators and the Glade team, would that be enough or is there more I need to do?  I'm just looking to have fun with the game and not steal anyone's stuff but now it's come a time where the interest is there and I am willing to share that which I have customized.
I guess, but there aren't too many people you have to ask, I think you could just PM theme... :/
A large number of the factions are made by titi, and then some other people...  ::)
Do you have a list?
---------------------
Thanks for the descriptions.  :thumbup: Sounds very cool.
Very good ideas...and now they are actually "put together"ed...  ::)

mjace72

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2010, 05:42:52 »
Thanks for the advice, tips.
The texture images aren't what I thought and I'll have to look into it a bit more.
I don't have a list but I have used units from every faction in mega-glest as well as Dark Magic and Romans_Beta.
I have permission for the Dark Magic use so far.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2010, 05:45:57 »
I don't have a list but I have used units from every faction in mega-glest as well as Dark Magic and Romans_Beta.
I have permission for the Dark Magic use so far.
Yeah I know that...
So I think...
Titi,Mega-pack/glest (general, not including others)  :|
Archmage, and Eliminator...romans  ::)
maybe others...  :|

Good luck.  :thumbup:

mjace72

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2010, 06:16:06 »
ultifd, what's the best freeware software to record gameplay, audio and video?  I found one but it doesn't record audio.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2010, 07:57:37 »
ultifd, what's the best freeware software to record gameplay, audio and video?  I found one but it doesn't record audio.
Basically the only one that actually works (and is free) is Camstudio.
http://camstudio.org/
Getting the audio to work for it may be complicated...but it works.
Now, you could search on youtube to find some serial codes and such on some commercial software, but that is kind bad...  ::) ( I tried it once, but the quality was the same.
Quality of the video will depend on your comp specs, and...the settings of the recorder, and maybe the recorder itself...  ::)
If Camstudio is the one you are talking about, then tell me what OS you are using, then maybe I can help you...  ::)
Good luck...  :)

Gabbe

« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2010, 13:13:25 »
mhm xfire, hd vids but a GPU that is good will be needed, actually, two GPUs..

mjace72

« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2010, 13:24:46 »
Thank you both.  I found one called wegame.  I haven't really gotten far into it but I'm having trouble recording more than several seconds worth of game at a time.  I'll check into those mentioned.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2010, 07:42:03 »
So how did it work out,  :| ?

but I'm having trouble recording more than several seconds worth of game at a time. 
with Wegame?
Yeah, I have heard of it...but haven't tried it yet.  ::)
Maybe try this one?  ::)
Audio/Media:
Download | E.M. Free Game Capture - Real-time Record Games of 3D, 2D, desktop and OpenGL to HD videos with resolutions up to 1920x1080.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2010, 10:02:41 »
You have my permission.

Now that is how you play Glest, huge combat forces! I think you may be beating some of my Dad's records..... :o I'll tell him, them he will want to catch up! ;D
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com