Author Topic: Immigrants  (Read 12306 times)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Immigrants
« Reply #75 on: 4 June 2010, 16:54:40 »
The measly $9.25 I make is hard to cover the cost of being a teen...
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Gabbe

« Reply #76 on: 4 June 2010, 16:54:47 »
I have a job...it is a noob job... i earn about 400 NOK a week selling newpaper... i don+t have a miniomum wage, i get money for the number of newspapers i sell.

yeas im gabbe, but you know me know and i won+t change to any other name other than gabbe or hypercube from now.

wyvern

« Reply #77 on: 4 June 2010, 16:56:33 »
I'm too young to earn for a living, but I'm trying to find work and I'm coaching gymnastics on occasion as an assistant and you get payed eight bucks a hour, if there wasn't a minimum wage it would be more like 50cents an hour, Arch you must be insane to not want minimum wage

Gabbe

« Reply #78 on: 4 June 2010, 17:01:42 »
If arch is to create his own buisnis [which is likely since he isn`t going for a education] then without minimum wage he would be a lucky man.

wyvern

« Reply #79 on: 4 June 2010, 17:05:28 »
If arch is to create his own buisnis [which is likely since he isn`t going for a education] then without minimum wage he would be a lucky man.
True but he won't get many workers if all he offers is 50 cents wage

Gabbe

« Reply #80 on: 4 June 2010, 17:07:43 »
True but he won't get many workers if all he offers is 50 cents wage

If the minimum wage were exterminated, the ones having stores would lower wage too, if everyone lowered wage, they wouldn`t need to pay much because you couldn`t get a job that offers more anywere anyways.

wyvern

« Reply #81 on: 4 June 2010, 17:10:23 »
Ah no the one who offers the most wage would get the most workers or everyone opens a business, and the economy crashes :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :bomb:

Gabbe

« Reply #82 on: 4 June 2010, 17:26:25 »
yep your right...Us economy is going bad anyways...

wyvern

« Reply #83 on: 4 June 2010, 17:32:00 »
The whole worlds economy is falling apart not just the US economy, the only country that is doing good is Brazil

Gabbe

« Reply #84 on: 4 June 2010, 17:33:28 »
lmao yeah, i estimate around 5 years till western european complete crack down...

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #85 on: 4 June 2010, 18:42:05 »
Will you guys please turn your brains on? The on switch is located on the back of your head.

It would be much more beneficial for the company to pay reasonable amounts than not to. ::)
If they didn't pay reasonable amounts then people would just leave and the company would fall apart. Basically, for the companies survival it needs to pay it's workers reasonable amounts.

Without minimum wage you don't have to go to college! You can learn on the job! It also opens up many other possibilities.
With minimum wage you need college degrees to get good paying jobs! Even then, you have to have the right college degrees for a job, because why should the company have to pay an unqualified person so much an hour. Without minimum wage, you can offer to work for a company that deals in something you haven't even heard of, you can work for free as you learn on the job, and then you can talk to your boss about your progress, and try for a pay raise.

Omega, I thought you were for freedom. Minimum wage restricts freedom where it simply doesn't need to be restricted.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Gabbe

« Reply #86 on: 4 June 2010, 18:51:25 »
Without minimum wage you don't have to go to college!

YEY! because then you`ve made the right choice..

Without minimum wage would only those WITH degrees get jobs because so many people would get jobless and then companies would only hire people with degrees because they are more qualified.

You can learn on the job!

We have such thing in Norway that you can take a degree and still have a job and learning, getting both a degree and job qualification from the place you`ve worked at.
It also opens up many other possibilities.

Like the opportunity to pay workers less? i wouldn`t necessarily call that a beneficial possibility...

With minimum wage you need college degrees to get good paying jobs!

Ah now i get what your saying, but wouldn`t degrees still help on getting good payed jobs? I mean, i would rather hire a person with good degrees rather than one drop-out...You need to think further..
Even then, you have to have the right college degrees for a job, because why should the company have to pay an unqualified person so much an hour. Without minimum wage, you can offer to work for a company that deals in something you haven't even heard of, you can work for free as you learn on the job, and then you can talk to your boss about your progress, and try for a pay raise.

So what is being suggested is that you want the opportunity to get jobs when not being payed much? I still think a degree would be better but...
Omega, I thought you were for freedom.

How can a religious person be...

Minimum wage restricts freedom where it simply doesn't need to be restricted.

What if the companies teamed up to get the pay down to the minimum?

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 4 June 2010, 20:09:03 »
The minimum wage is not aimed at the majority of employers who reconise the need to pay their staff a living wage. Any job involving skills will have competition and thus wages will rise. The rarer the skill the more competition and thus more money is available for highly skilled employees. The minimum wage is aimed at those who exploit the unskilled poor by paying them very low wages. It is in essentially a state mechanism to ensure all workers are able to support themselves on their wages.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 4 June 2010, 22:29:43 »
I think Wciow hit the nail right on the head, but just to expand a bit...
It would be much more beneficial for the company to pay reasonable amounts than not to. ::)
If they didn't pay reasonable amounts then people would just leave and the company would fall apart. Basically, for the companies survival it needs to pay it's workers reasonable amounts.
If that were true, no one would work for McDonald's or WalMart, because they both treat their employees like garbage.  Workers simply have nowhere else to go, so even if they were making a dime a day they'd still have no choice.

Without minimum wage, you can offer to work for a company that deals in something you haven't even heard of, you can work for free as you learn on the job, and then you can talk to your boss about your progress, and try for a pay raise.
That already exists.  Look up the term "internship".

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #89 on: 6 June 2010, 01:50:33 »
Pretty much everything you said seems mixed up! It all supports my statement, not yours!
Without minimum wage you don't have to go to college! You can learn on the job! It also opens up many other possibilities.
Quite the opposite. Without minimum wage, everyone would go to college because a job flipping burgers won't even cover the gas to get there. I've yet to see a job requiring a college degree that offers minimum wage.

learn on the job, and then you can talk to your boss about your progress, and try for a pay raise.
No way dude. There is a such thing as apprenticeship, generally used for carpentry, mechanics, electricians, etc where they earn basic wages (which are still above minimum) where they work while learning, WHILE BEING PAID. It has nothing to do with minimum wage as well. And even with minimum wage, you can still try and ask for a pay raise (good luck though. But hey, it's better to earn minimum than going from $0.50 an hour to $0.75 an hour, though an optimist might put it as "a 50% raise").

Omega, I thought you were for freedom. Minimum wage restricts freedom where it simply doesn't need to be restricted.
Again, opposite. Minimum wage is a necessity to freedom to keep companies from having all the power. In a free society, corporations do not have the power to pay people $0.50 an hour, thankfully, which couldn't pay for a pack of gum these days. Minimum wages assure that people are not manipulated and are given some degree of equality.

Also, what Wciow said "hits the nail right on the head".
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

xxcatmysteryxx

« Reply #90 on: 6 June 2010, 13:01:43 »
Not having minimum wage is bad because it stops company's from treating there worker bad and not paying them for the hard work people do. And ILLEGAL immigrants get payed lower is because they are here illegally and don't have proper forms so people can pay them lower because there is no document saying they have to get payed minimum wage
« Last Edit: 25 November 2010, 15:49:32 by titi »

anything