Author Topic: Future Prospects: One Glest.  (Read 6959 times)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: Future Prospects: One Glest.
« Reply #25 on: 4 July 2010, 18:53:10 »
I have no problem with the divergence of the two forks. I support both forks in their respective efforts.

The end result is that we will hopefully end up with two distinct engines based on Glest 3.2.2 but with different sets of features.

I think there has been enough speculation on this topic already. Both forks have expressed their veiws and those on the forum who are not coding have no right to tell those who are what to do. If you want to merge the forks so badly go learn to code and do it yourself!
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Trappin

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest Map Compendium
« Reply #26 on: 4 July 2010, 21:31:49 »
I don't think Omega set out to pit one branch against the other - merging defined here means unity at the cost of flexibility and would be the ultimate goal but its not the only path. Two distinctly different branches can work - we see this all the time in many different professions.

Would a glest mod manager be possible? Is it an achievable goal? Stupid idea?

As far as telling coders what they should be doing? I'd never do anything of the sort.

I will reiterate one major point though. Windoz end users such as myself prefer tidy installs and simple modder file packages. KISS.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: 4 July 2010, 21:37:50 »

It would be nice, but I think it would be very difficult.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #28 on: 4 July 2010, 23:23:28 »
I don't think Omega set out to pit one branch against the other - merging defined here means unity at the cost of flexibility and would be the ultimate goal but its not the only path. Two distinctly different branches can work - we see this all the time in many different professions.

Indeed, I simply mention that it would be nice to have a single Glest which would benefit the modders (one engine choice), gamers (less confusion for installing those mods), and coders (one project to work on = better performance in that sole project). I don't mean to step on any toes, and know that is beyond my coding skill, and of course, is up to the programmer itself.

Concerning a manager, I tried to do that once, but was met with one main issue: there is no one main source for these mods. In order for a mod manager to function properly, it would need *direct* downloads in order to be able to properly request those downloads. As well, that download source would need the modders to be consistent in folder layout. ie: a tech tree would be techtree.7z/techtreefolder/techtree.xml... and so on... Or something at least that could maintain those standards. Biggest problem: there is no sole source for these. They are often scattered on download sites such as filefront or mediafire, which have download prompt screens...
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 5 July 2010, 07:08:41 »
We need a Glest Mod Manager for Glest/GAE/MegaGlest. Branch managers will provide a "Stable" cross platform installer/build for their prospective branch and the mod tool then works from each "stable" build to install or remove various modded game elements. The tool will add flexibility for modders but will simplify the process of patching and modding files for end users.
:P Psychic. I don't know... well somewhat, I hear for megaglest we are getting one... ;)
But later..., and there are some problems with that though...

I have no problem with the divergence of the two forks. I support both forks in their respective efforts.

The end result is that we will hopefully end up with two distinct engines based on Glest 3.2.2 but with different sets of features.

I think there has been enough speculation on this topic already. Both forks have expressed their veiws and those on the forum who are not coding have no right to tell those who are what to do. If you want to merge the forks so badly go learn to code and do it yourself!
Yeah, that is the truth basically. Good or not.  :|

kukac2

« Reply #30 on: 5 July 2010, 07:47:13 »
Well, if you would change the current mechanic to addons, that you have to enable at the configuration...

BTW, why does ATi and nVidia do a different branches, even tough, they could work together for better performance? It's techrace guys! It inspires both forks, to be better than the other.

Plus, both Silnarm's and Softcoder's names are starting with "s". :O

Zoythrus

« Reply #31 on: 3 September 2010, 03:52:08 »
i think there should be a merger! it would help us all out!

i as a modder would like the features of both engines to be used. im tired of choosing which engine to make a mod for. we need to merge now before we get too far apart!

if we did merge, then there would be more developers working on it; and this leads to faster implementation of greater stuff. there is no reason not to merge, and pure laziness does not count as a valid reason.

in short: lets get some things in motion already! nothing gets done if we all stand around and look at each other!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 3 September 2010, 04:02:36 »
Already been discussed.  According to what I've seen, it won't happen.  The two engines are moving in different directions, but are exchanging knowledge and features in cases where it is appropriate to do so, like MG's particles being incorporated into GAE and GAE's pathfinder being incorporated into MG.

If this changes, I'm sure one of the developers will kindly inform us.  Aside from that, nothing to see here.