Author Topic: Basic Transport Units  (Read 7256 times)

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: Basic Transport Units
« Reply #25 on: 3 July 2010, 05:37:11 »
Thanks Hailstone  :thumbup:

Firstly r699 is very unstable on my system (win7). It throws "runtime" errors and refuses to load most tilesets and factions :/ However I know this is just a WIP build so I'm not too worried.

This is the exception handler getting in the way, for now set MiscCatchExceptions=false in glestadv.ini, I'll strip it out completely for 0.3.

One more bug I noticed, the load skill is being executed after every move, even if it isn't within load range.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: 3 July 2010, 20:59:53 »
This is the exception handler getting in the way, for now set MiscCatchExceptions=false in glestadv.ini, I'll strip it out completely for 0.3.
Really? I haven't gotten around to testing this yet, but in the past, I tried without the exception catching, and rather than throwing an error and shutting down, it just flat out crashed and gave a generic system error... What is the exception handler anyway? I just assumed it caught bugs and shut the program down rather than let the program crash?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

wyvern

« Reply #27 on: 7 July 2010, 01:37:10 »
I have a question, will units inside a transport/building be able to shoot, for example, smg gunners shooting from inside an apc or archers ahooting from a tower

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 7 July 2010, 06:43:47 »
Thanks for the feedback. Also thanks for committing the xml file Silnarm.

Maximum load is implemented now. Should the unit still move to the carrier if it's full?

I've prevented carriers from loading themselves, loading nothing and loading a unit multiple times.

Units not loading might be because of a command queue limit although I couldn't find it, only 4 units appear to load in one try.

I have a question, will units inside a transport/building be able to shoot, for example, smg gunners shooting from inside an apc or archers ahooting from a tower
Not at the moment but it will be discussed once I've finished the basics.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

wyvern

« Reply #29 on: 7 July 2010, 13:11:58 »
Ok thanks :)

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 July 2010, 11:50:57 »
I've made load the default command for right click on target for a carrier and combined multiple unit loads into a single command. It's now possible to load more than 4 units at a time.

Quote from: Silnarm
I think we are going to need yet another command type, 'be_loaded'.

As is, units that are to be loaded have no knowledge of that fact, and just get a move command to the carrier unit, if the carrier moves away, they could never be loaded, while staying on the command queue for the carrier, causing it to cease to function correctly.
If another command is issued that isn't queued such as movement, the current commands are canceled as far as I know. I don't think anything worse happens than not being loaded.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 July 2010, 06:01:35 »
Quote from: Silnarm
I think we are going to need yet another command type, 'be_loaded'.

As is, units that are to be loaded have no knowledge of that fact, and just get a move command to the carrier unit, if the carrier moves away, they could never be loaded, while staying on the command queue for the carrier, causing it to cease to function correctly.
If another command is issued that isn't queued such as movement, the current commands are canceled as far as I know. I don't think anything worse happens than not being loaded.

True enough... but not being loaded when the user wanted them loaded is poor form. I'm happy for you to ignore it for now though, I'll just sneak it in sometime when you're looking the other way  :P

ps: This wouldn't be an 'explicit' Xml defined command, it would be added automagically to movable units (and later only those that can actually be loaded into transports).
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Zoythrus

« Reply #32 on: 25 October 2010, 16:47:08 »
you know, the transport should be able to enhance it's passengers through an emanation. for example: a tower that gives its inhabitants with a +2 range bonus.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 October 2010, 18:52:02 »
you know, the transport should be able to enhance it's passengers through an emanation. for example: a tower that gives its inhabitants with a +2 range bonus.
And vice versa.  I think it would be a good addition to the "master only" and "pet only" effects.  In this case, I suppose "carrier only" and "passenger only".

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #34 on: 26 October 2010, 23:09:12 »
And vice versa.  I think it would be a good addition to the "master only" and "pet only" effects.  In this case, I suppose "carrier only" and "passenger only".
Agreed. Minor things like slowing down a unit when they carry, or increasing the range of a unit on a tower would be great.

Relatedly, a way to change the models when you have a unit carried could be very handy, as in, change the model for any skill. Perhaps best done with an optional tag in the skill itself, for example:
    <skill>
      <type value="move" />
      <name value="move_skill" />
      <ep-cost value="0" />
      <speed value="190" />
      <anim-speed value="130" />
      <animation path="models/normal_move.g3d" />
      <loaded-animation path="models/carrying_move.g3d" />
      <sound enabled="false" />
    </skill>
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert