Author Topic: Faction Reviews and Ratings.... Submit now!  (Read 29187 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Faction Reviews and Ratings.... Submit now!
« Reply #25 on: 9 July 2010, 17:28:11 »
A poll?  I think we should have all learned by now that democracy doesn't work, because voters are too lazy to inform themselves.  I'd like to keep a platinum level because, like Arch said, it gives modders something to strive for.  Go the extra mile, as it were.  Having the lead level in there is a good precaution against shovelware, but that might be handled just as well by the stone category, so I don't really care either way about that one.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: 9 July 2010, 17:48:31 »
A poll?  I think we should have all learned by now that democracy doesn't work, because voters are too lazy to inform themselves.  I'd like to keep a platinum level because, like Arch said, it gives modders something to strive for.  Go the extra mile, as it were.  Having the lead level in there is a good precaution against shovelware, but that might be handled just as well by the stone category, so I don't really care either way about that one.

I agree, and I think lead fits in well.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 9 July 2010, 21:47:57 »
Personally I don't want them. I am OK with platinum but I don't want lead!.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: 9 July 2010, 23:30:38 »
Hmm...too bad polls don't mean anything now. In this case at least.
Well, I agree with platinum, for the reason Arch said, and maybe another one too, and I am fine with lead...
Well, we got to figure this out I guess...
When you first created that thread without asking others you should have known Eliminator...I mean we had that poll, but even the poll...doesn't matter I guess.
Right now it looks good, the system. With lead, still good, or even better. I'm  :| .
Any existing examples of "lead" mods?  :| Just curious.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2010, 02:17:28 »
The lead rating is kinda in there because it fits, and because it's a protection against crapware, which I don't think stone would handle as well as lead.

When you first created that thread without asking others you should have known Eliminator...I mean we had that poll, but even the poll...doesn't matter I guess.

Eliminator's poll is useless, rating a mod based totally and simplistically on personal view points is ridiculous, this rating system is based on specifically rating each element of the mod with good precision, and then a minor slot(misc) for person to rate the mod based on their personal view. No offense intended toward you, Elim, just stating the truth.

Personally I don't want them. I am OK with platinum but I don't want lead!.

Well.......all I can say is.........that sucks for you. :| Personal feelings matter null(not saying that love and friendship don't matter, I'm saying that in this case where we are trying to logically review mods, personal feelings don't matter). I mean no offense.

Now that I start thinking about it, maybe we should change "misc", to something like "personal opinion"(or "review author's opinion"), or maybe overall(basically the same thing...).
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2010, 03:04:40 »
All who want lead post it. Ill change misc to rater's personal view.

I don't want lead.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 10 July 2010, 03:15:44 »
Yeah...if he had a poll...it would be useless. For the 2nd time I guess.  :|
I don't care whether there is lead or not. (N/A)  :|

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: 10 July 2010, 03:48:15 »
All who want lead post it. Ill change misc to rater's personal view.

I don't want lead.

Hang on a minute. Who said you were in charge of faction reviews, you're simply in charge of managing the FDC, I'm sorta managing the reviews.......

Why exactly don't you want lead? :| And, let's not try to take things to the plain extremes(yes or no), and branch out into less extreme positions. Please provide logical and reasonable reasons for your positions, not just: "I don't like lead." Cause duh no one likes lead, it's toxic, which is why it's the lowest rating.
From what I see, there is more reason to have lead than not to have it. ::)
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2010, 04:27:34 »
I'm in favor of keeping misc as misc.  It's a catch-all for anything we didn't think of, or anything unexpected, as well as just an overall opinion if the reviewer wants to take it that way.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #34 on: 10 July 2010, 04:44:34 »
I'm in favor of keeping misc as misc.  It's a catch-all for anything we didn't think of, or anything unexpected, as well as just an overall opinion if the reviewer wants to take it that way.

I see, like GAE effects for instance. So what are the rules for this misc rating? Remains at 0% unless you have a reason to raise it above that?
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 July 2010, 05:29:40 »
Remains at 0% unless you have a reason to raise it above that?
Yes.

I don't want lead because there will be too many levels and I think stone can handle it.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #36 on: 10 July 2010, 10:47:53 »
Lead, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum seems fine to me, most good mods will be Gold and the less developed ones Silver moving into Gold (WIPs) also the not too good mod like retextures or something would be Silver maybe Bronze. The not so good mods or old dated mods that aren't too good but not terrible would be Bronze and bad mods like abandonware if you want to include it would fall under Lead.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #37 on: 10 July 2010, 13:49:44 »
I don't want lead because there will be too many levels and I think stone can handle it.

That's just a dumb excuse, 6 is definitely not too many.
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 July 2010, 16:14:20 »
Lead, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum seems fine to me, most good mods will be Gold and the less developed ones Silver moving into Gold (WIPs) also the not too good mod like retextures or something would be Silver maybe Bronze. The not so good mods or old dated mods that aren't too good but not terrible would be Bronze and bad mods like abandonware if you want to include it would fall under Lead.
What about stone? I think we should use stone and / or wood because this is glest and it maches.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #39 on: 11 July 2010, 00:56:18 »
I for one, am good with Platinum (a unreleastic level to strive for, since it would need a "perfect" mod), gold (our top of the mill mods), silver (about average), bronze (below average), and lead/stone (just one please. This is for the utter failures. As dreaded as it may be, its for the player's own good. This is our equivelent of an F). I think that would be plenty.

But.... why are we arguing about this instead of making reviews? The discussion doesn't just justify the lost production. So really, does it make a huge difference? We don't even have any ratings to put into these catigories! Let's do that first and worry about catigories later.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #40 on: 11 July 2010, 04:44:16 »
I for one, am good with Platinum (a unreleastic level to strive for, since it would need a "perfect" mod), gold (our top of the mill mods), silver (about average), bronze (below average), and lead/stone (just one please. This is for the utter failures. As dreaded as it may be, its for the player's own good. This is our equivelent of an F). I think that would be plenty.

Ok, how does Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Lead sound, guys?

What about stone? I think we should use stone and / or wood because this is glest and it maches.

Let's not be proposing large changes now, we need to actually get reviewing. ::)

We don't even have any ratings to put into these catigories! Let's do that first and worry about catigories later.

Shooting before the targets are set, eh.
Egypt Remastered!

kukac2

« Reply #41 on: 11 July 2010, 09:58:01 »
Why does the name cause so much problem??? Just make it Class 1, Class 2, etc., and it's done. Not the naming will be the main attraction of this project :S

Gabbe

« Reply #42 on: 11 July 2010, 11:31:07 »
I don`t want lead, still...I don`t want a stone mod on my CV  ::) :O still...crapware are probably ignored and not reviewed.

Im going to play a few games with chups faction and rate it :)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: 11 July 2010, 15:26:53 »
Why does the name cause so much problem??? Just make it Class 1, Class 2, etc., and it's done. Not the naming will be the main attraction of this project :S

Yah, I think this argument is pointless, I done making points and asking "Why?" on this matter. It's staying the way it is, because the way it is will work fine. If you guys want to argue, then let's argue about something worthwhile.
Egypt Remastered!

ChupaReaper

« Reply #44 on: 11 July 2010, 17:53:09 »
I don`t want lead, still...I don`t want a stone mod on my CV  ::) :O still...crapware are probably ignored and not reviewed.

Im going to play a few games with chups faction and rate it :)

Hmm, I expect 0% on AI lol, but apart from that a review would be very useful.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: 11 July 2010, 18:17:39 »
ChupaReaper, to my knowledge your mod doesn't work for anybody(mipmaps...........strange oblivious crashes......).......
Do you really want a review? :|

I think I'll give a review of Woodsmen, because I've played it very thoroughly.

WOODSMEN:

10% Models(PERFECT!)
10% Textures(PERFECT!)
7%  Animations(some anims are great, and some like walking and running aren't so great, but overall pretty good)
7% Sounds(some sound timings are off...)
10% Music(Perfect soundtrack!)
9% Icons(I don't really pay attention to these much, but I remember the icons being very good)
10% AI(The AI plays it perfectly)
9% Particles(Most of them are perfect, but a line coming out of the tree guardian(whatever it's called) looks a little strange)
6% Balance(Too strong)
10% Miscellaneous(Faction was a damn lot of fun to play!)

88% Overall -- GOLD!

Extra Comments: With just a little more work(7), you'll recieve a Platinum rating from me!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Egypt Remastered!

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 11 July 2010, 18:26:48 »
Yeah...maybe next version ChupaReaper's mod will be OK to rate.

Yeah, I agree with that review about Woodmens. It would be platinum for me, but that is only cause there is not really any Platinum mods... Well, we have to rule our MagiTech too...
Although I don't think the models and textures are "perfect"...in this case, for Glest, for now, it is...
Well, with a update, I think it will be platinum...  :thumbup:

Gold mods are great...
Hmm...I think some people will disagree on other reviews.

But for the rating system...what is the final version?  :|

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: 11 July 2010, 18:31:36 »
But for the rating system...what is the final version?  No Opinion

The version on the first post.
Egypt Remastered!

Gabbe

« Reply #48 on: 11 July 2010, 18:32:07 »
My comp handles chups mod very well.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 July 2010, 21:35:13 »
I'd like to respond to that with my rating of Woodsmen:
  • 8% models - This faction is superbly well-modeled, and all of the units and buildings look great.  The Marauder and Protector are especially good.  However, most of the Forester unit is lifted straight from Tech's Worker, and all of the humanoids are Mr. Magitech.  Additionally, few new destruction models.  Nobody gets a perfect 10 from me without doing everything from scratch... gotta work for that platinum.  I give an 8 for not perfect, but still awesome.
  • 9% textures - Superb.  This is a mod that did almost everything right in terms of textures.  The only things I can complain about are that a couple of units' faces are a little blurry around the eyes, and some of the construction/destruction models seem to be using Magitech assets.  Once again, not a perfect 10, but it could be with a tiny bit more work.
  • 7% animations - Overall, solid.  Some of the animations are quite impressive, like deer_move, but most move animations here seem to lack vertical motion.  This is especially noticeable with the moose and the Falconer.  Additionally, most of the Forester's animations are lifted straight from Magitech and a few units' animations have one object passing through another, like the owl's wings.  Overall, the animations in this faction are solid and above-average, but neither perfect nor amazing.
  • 5% sounds - The sounds that are new are quite good, but there just aren't very many of them.
  • 8% music - The music for this faction is solid and it fits the theme and feel of the faction, but it feels like it needs a little extra something to really stand out above the rest.
  • 9% icons - The icons are great.  They all clearly show the things they represent and they go great with the rustic woodsy theme.  The only objections I have are that some are a little too similar, like the Guardian and Aviary, and some don't really match the action that they go with, like crossed swords for an Axeman's attack.
  • 8% AI - They don't seem to like to build Geysers.  Other than that, it looked perfect to me.
  • 7% particles - I didn't see any faults, but nothing really stood out either.
  • 6% balance - Playing with Woodsmen against Tech or Magic isn't necessarily a victory, but they are quite over-powered.  The Falconer especially seems to be a game-breaker.
  • 8% misc - Woodsmen is the highest-quality mod I've seen for Glest.  The theme was consistent, and everything felt like it had an appropriate purpose.  Additionally, this mod wasn't afraid to try new things.  The idea of having each building be able to upgrade to a special version is something new.  The Falconer's attack was the first of its kind: one that flies out and returns.  It doesn't quite work the way it should in cases of close combat, but this gets props for trying.  Additionally, the Protector is the first flying unit I've seen that crashes to the ground upon death, which is quite cool.  For being an all-around awesome faction with some really great ideas, and for being innovative, this faction would get a perfect 10 here, except that it's not finished, so I'll reserve those extra two points for now.  If the Burrow and Earth Brother are as good as I expect, this will most likely get bumped up to a 10.
Overall rating: 8+9+7+5+8+9+8+7+6+8= 75 Silver

While all the visuals were very well-done, the lack of sounds and the poor balance are the biggest hindrances.  With a few easy fixes, this will be Gold for sure.