Author Topic: History questions fun  (Read 6751 times)

wyvern

History questions fun
« on: 12 July 2010, 01:39:21 »
This is a topic similar to the quote topic that was made a while back and it works the same, answer the question and you get to ask the next one, I'd prefer if people wouldn't google or look stuff up on wikipedia and stuff but if you want to I can't stop you I will start it off.
During Operation Barbarossa only one objective out of three not counting Kiev was captured in the whole war. The questions regarding this are what was the objective, what army group was involved and who was its commander at the time of its capture? If you have any questions I can consider answering depending on the question type.

kukac2

Re: History questions fun
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2010, 08:02:55 »
The objective was capturing Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad, for these's resources from the Ural.

Adolf Hitler was the supreme commander :)

The LSSAH was surely on this battlefield.

wyvern

« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2010, 13:40:17 »
I think I may have to change that question, who Stalingrad was an objective after this objective I'm thinking about was captured, and while I suppose Hitler is the supreme commander I would like the general/field marshal who commanded this operation and what was the army group name of the army that was to capture it actually Kukac that was very close and did not come into my thinking but stalingrad was a failure and  I'm talking of the only succesful objective achieved.

kukac2

« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2010, 15:42:30 »
The second question is understandable, and I think the German General was von Paulus, but I'm not really sure about the first one. Did you mean, what was their objective by capturing Stalingrad? Open road to the Caucasus, and it's oil depots.

Wiki says the commanders were Franz Halder, Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb, Fedor von Bock, Gerd von Rundstedt, Ion Antonescu (Romania) and Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim (Finland).

And the army group was most likely the Wehrmacht?

wyvern

« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2010, 16:37:58 »
The second question is understandable, and I think the German General was von Paulus, but I'm not really sure about the first one. Did you mean, what was their objective by capturing Stalingrad? Open road to the Caucasus, and it's oil depots.

Wiki says the commanders were Franz Halder, Wilhelm Ritter von Leeb, Fedor von Bock, Gerd von Rundstedt, Ion Antonescu (Romania) and Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim (Finland).

And the army group was most likely the Wehrmacht?
Hm I think I really muddled up the question and there are too many for you or anyone else to answer, what you said is all correct so you can ask the next question but what I meant was Crimean peninsula was one of the objectives prior to Stalingrad the other three were moscow, leningrad and kiev, I think, army group south under the command of general feldmarshal Erich von Manstein captured the whole of the Crimean peninsula in a relatively short time but Sebavostopol lasted longer and it tooks weeks and pounding from hundreds of guns and planes including the 80 cm cannon Schwerer Gustav before being subdued it was the only objective other then kiev(not such a major objective) and the only major russian objective to be captured.
Alright Kukac your turn.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2010, 16:39:43 by Wyvern »

kukac2

« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2010, 17:27:37 »
Let's see: Who was that king, who died because his throne's canopy collapsed on him?
« Last Edit: 12 July 2010, 17:29:51 by @kukac@ »

wyvern

« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2010, 17:33:00 »
Is it King Bela of Hungary, I'm not sure which one it was though. :(

kukac2

« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2010, 17:37:12 »
Yep, the first one. Your turn.

wyvern

« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2010, 17:40:59 »
Let me think about this one. What was Operation Coronet? :)

kukac2

« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2010, 18:07:39 »
An attack against Japan in WW2 by USA.

wyvern

« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2010, 18:14:02 »
It was to be in 1946 so never came true but congratulations, your turn :)

kukac2

« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2010, 18:23:18 »
We should let other players play too :)

Who was, who ignited his own country's capital?

wyvern

« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2010, 18:29:23 »
I'd guess Nero but thats up for debate other then that I'd have to look deeper, if its correct the next person to post can get to make the question

kukac2

« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2010, 18:31:26 »
Yep, I thought on Nero, your turn.

wyvern

« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2010, 18:36:03 »
This ancient fortress mounted on a large steep cliff was used by Jewish rebels to hold out against the Romans the Romans captured it anyway and discovered that nearly all of its defenders had committed suicide, what was this fortification.

kukac2

« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2010, 18:41:13 »
I can only think about Jerusalem or Damascus...

wyvern

« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2010, 18:47:26 »
Incorrect so far

kukac2

« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2010, 19:31:05 »
Masada

wyvern

« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2010, 19:36:04 »
Correct your turn :)

kukac2

« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2010, 20:14:59 »
The place of defeat, where the "Age of Adventures" ended.

wyvern

« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2010, 20:18:31 »
I'll leave this one to the others though I think I might know the answer, not sure if what I think it is is correct though. :|

Gabbe

« Reply #21 on: 12 July 2010, 23:08:31 »
No, it is fun to watch, keep it going :O

wyvern

« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2010, 01:42:58 »
Gabbe you try to answer I don't want to :| :|

Gabbe

« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2010, 01:53:04 »
I have no idea. give a hint? what age?

wyvern

« Reply #24 on: 13 July 2010, 01:55:48 »
I'm not quite sure what age of adventures is so not good...

anything