Author Topic: Stop these kind of topics  (Read 11059 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Stop these kind of topics
« on: 20 August 2010, 06:59:30 »
Hi all

I looked around a bit in this offtopic forum and I think there are too many useless discussions!
This is mainly the glest board and not a place where:
People publish their political/religious statements, play silly posting games that just fill the board and so on.
Please all try not to do this from now. I don't want to be too restrictive because its the offtopic board, but please try too keep these things in mind.

What I am talking about are things like these:
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5809.0
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5815.0
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5513.0
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5281.0

Please stop this kind of things!

Regards
titi
« Last Edit: 25 November 2010, 15:47:07 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Gabbe

Re: Stop these kind of topics
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2010, 13:13:25 »
If i am allowed to come with objections, the tribue to the US was actually a try to get a debate, and why is there even a off-topic forum when you cant disguiss or debate...Off-topic?

Zoythrus

« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2010, 14:25:57 »
i personally dont see why we cant have pointless forum games. they are fun ways to reduce stress and give us stuff to do. would you rather us play a game or talk about some super-controversial topic?

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2010, 18:08:36 »
Well titi, at least we don't have those games that are even worse...  :| (You know when we were talking about creating a OT board, we talked about this "problem".)

I am fine with some games that at least have some point...I guess. Debatable topics and controversial topics, if we can all handle it, then it should be fine...sometimes it is nice...sometimes not.

Mark

« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2010, 22:36:49 »
The topics about being the longest and about having large pictures is ridiculous, and should be deleted, just like the one about having gigantic pictures.  As far as the one about Immigration, I don't really like it, but oh well, I don't care.  The one about american patriotism is relatively harmless, though it should be monitored, due to its proximity to insults.

xxcatmysteryxx

« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2010, 23:38:57 »
Well titi, at least we don't have those games that are even worse...  :| (You know when we were talking about creating a OT board, we talked about this "problem".)

I am fine with some games that at least have some point...I guess. Debatable topics and controversial topics, if we can all handle it, then it should be fine...sometimes it is nice...sometimes not.
ya i agree anyways this is the off-topic board but still what else can we talk about in off topic but longest post and stuff is just stupid

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2010, 04:43:59 »
Titi, I agree with ya on the longest post and biggest pic topics, but you really don't have the right to tell us we can't debate stuff.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2010, 05:05:07 »
Titi, I agree with ya on the longest post and biggest pic topics, but you really don't have the right to tell us we can't debate stuff.
He didn't say you can't.  He said please don't. ::)

(And I'm pretty sure he absolutely does have that right. :look: )

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2010, 05:25:32 »
I say delete them all! They make people have unfair post count.
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2010, 05:26:54 »
He didn't say you can't.  He said please don't. Roll Eyes

Right....

(And I'm pretty sure he absolutely does have that right. Look )

Yea, and I just realized that forum administration is pretty bad(try the Urban Terror forums, you aren't allowed to even say the word iron sight without them locking your topic). It's awfully abusive of him to lock a topic based on his personal feelings, and then it's even worse when people say they don't have to provide a reason for doing so(I'm not even going to bother to quote, because you can see all of it in the locked topic saluting the US). Government and administration are there for the PEOPLE, be it for forum or country, and the people run the government, not the other way around.

If we do that then we might as well delete the whole forum if post count means that much to you. ::)
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Zoythrus

« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2010, 15:41:57 »
i think that friendly debates should be fine (like, what's the best renewable resource), but when it gets into controversial topics like religion and politics...

Gabbe

« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2010, 16:27:40 »
I dont really support it, but i got an idea, what if we had a topic were you had to ask for permission to create such and such topic.

[More administration :cry: - @kukac@]
« Last Edit: 22 August 2010, 18:34:20 by @kukac@ »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2010, 01:34:14 »
Every one looks at the post count  ::)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 23 August 2010, 02:59:15 »
Maybe delete the pointless ones, if any deleting is going to happen.
Usually we don't need to...just lock.

Mark

« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2010, 14:46:48 »
i think that friendly debates should be fine (like, what's the best renewable resource), but when it gets into controversial topics like religion and politics...
I think another problem is that these subjects elicit strong emotions.  We already have enough of the F-bomb and moderators don't like that.  We had a good religious debate, which I would love to resurrect, but I kind of think it is a distraction for people who are trying to do other things.

xxcatmysteryxx

« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2010, 16:45:05 »
Every one looks at the post count  ::)
I never do...  ;)

modman

« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2010, 07:44:39 »
Government and administration are there for the PEOPLE, be it for forum or country, and the people run the government, not the other way around.

Well, no.  Consider this along the lines of a corporation, not a government.  In the end, this forum is free to us, and the site is kept up by others (who that is doesn't really matter now).  A large part of the reason Americans have power comes from the fact that Americans pay taxes.

I . . . don't think his powers are limited at all.  He can be a tyrant if he wishes.  :scientist:

To All: I don't think that the Glest forums are the proper place to have debates.  Yes, it would be nice if people were mature enough and the moderating conditions were correct so that we could have debates here, but that is not the case.  I have recommended many times to people that if they wish to debate something, the best place I know on the internet is debatingchristianity.com.  If you really think you have superior rhetorical skills, take Sir Rhetor (me) on in a head to head debate; otherwise, just shut up about your position.  Glest is a game, and these forums are for discussion of that game.  Honestly, there needn't be an Off Topic board at all.  So if you come here to "relieve stress" or post pointless topics not even conducive to discussion, then just observe, don't touch. >:(

Mark

« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2010, 23:42:21 »
Right, 'nough said.  Sticky, lock, and obey this topic's message.

Zoythrus

« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2010, 23:50:08 »
can we have a subforum for stupid stuff? most other game forums ive seen have a forum games subforum in the main off topic forum

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2010, 01:06:59 »
can we have a subforum for stupid stuff? most other game forums ive seen have a forum games subforum in the main off topic forum
Wouldn't that be the opposite of progress?  If so many other forums have that, then why do you need yet another?

modman

« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2010, 08:14:22 »

I'm sure their games are just as fun over there as here.  Why then does Glest need a "stupid stuff" subforum?  Never mind, don't answer that.  It doesn't matter.

Gabbe

« Reply #21 on: 25 August 2010, 13:06:01 »
I'm sure their games are just as fun over there as here.  Why then does Glest need a "stupid stuff" subforum?  Never mind, don't answer that.  It doesn't matter.

Their games are just as fun, maybe, still it is more fun when you type to someone you "know" from the forum.

Mark

« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2010, 00:26:37 »

Their games are just as fun, maybe, still it is more fun when you type to someone you "know" from the forum.
You might think that, but getting off topic can just as easily damage a relationship.  I remember there was a debacle when some people started swearing at a person, and it turned into a flame war.  In the end, like 6 people changed their names and I think one guy was banned.  Seriously, Glest forums should be about modding, testing and helping.  Not going off topic.  If you have time to do the off topic, maybe you could help with a mod, or download and test someone else's.  By the way, I think omega's military has a relatively recent release, and Dark Magic's latest version was released just last week.

Gabbe

« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2010, 04:52:29 »

You might think that, but getting off topic can just as easily damage a relationship.  I remember there was a debacle when some people started swearing at a person, and it turned into a flame war.  In the end, like 6 people changed their names and I think one guy was banned.  Seriously, Glest forums should be about modding, testing and helping.  Not going off topic.  If you have time to do the off topic, maybe you could help with a mod, or download and test someone else's.

I dont see a connection to games there?...

patz

« Reply #24 on: 30 August 2010, 16:51:41 »
i think titi is right.

it's easy to offend ppl when talks about topics about politics/religion/sex.

this can be a guideline. (not a rule)

ps. sorry for what i've posted previously.

anything