Author Topic: GAE 0.3  (Read 13632 times)

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: GAE 0.3
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2010, 22:46:46 »
MANY THANKS for the 'Developer Edition' binary  :-*  :D but where to put that one and how to start it?
Tried to replace the normal exe with that one and to start over the start-menu but it does not work for me.

Install it in the bin directory, the data directory is set relative to that directory, so it should run from there... probably should have just done that with the regular exe  :look:

I tried to install GAE from the windows installer on an old machine and after installing I could not start it. (tried to find a solution for the guys which could not start GAE)
... The old machine has only few programs installed so no dev tools like VC++ or such maybe GAE needs some of those??? (like missing some dependencies), Not only GAE does not start so does the mapeditor and the viewer (on old machine).

I've been doing some reading, the freetype dll does require vc++ 6 runtime libs, these should be installed on most machines already I think, but this could be the issue...

Windows users having problems:

1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259403
Download, extract, run. Try running glest advanced.

2. If that doesn't work, please replace /Program Files/glestae 3.0/bin/glestadv.exe with this one, which will at least give an error message if the problem is the data-dir. (Vista / Win7 Users may need to give the new exe admin privs). You still need to use the start-menu link!

And please report back!!!

Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

cds

« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2010, 05:23:23 »
Ok! I find what is the reason.The GAE 0.3 doesn't support Chinese folder and my user name is Chinese.When I created an English user name and install GAE 0.3,It works.To solve this question ,could we put the configdir to" all users "folder ,not in the current user folder?

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2010, 07:59:07 »
Hi cds, glad you found the problem, probably a limitation of PhysFS I think.

To set the config directory to all users, right click the 'Glest Advanced Engine' link on the start-menu, and select 'properties', on the shortcut tab in the 'target' field, add the following (after the existing path)
Code: [Select]
-configdir "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\glestae"

Timeline | Downloads

cds

« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2010, 09:27:55 »
Good ! We have solved this problem.It works now right!

me5

« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2010, 09:56:54 »
Gratz!

@silnarm
What do you mean by "Install it in the bin directory" I just put it into the bin directory (where the glestadv.exe is) and doubleclicked on it but it won't start. (well it looks like it would try to pop up but then disapears)

After downloading and extracting the vc6++ runtime I could not install it. But I found the "vc++ 2008 redistributable setup" on my "gaming-machine" and installed it on my "old-machine". When I try to start GAE it won't work even if I replace the original exe by yours I get the same error box as before (looks similar to the one cds had will try to change the config directory). Glest3.2.2 works on the "old-machine" but GAE0.2.12b not. Are the mapeditor and the viewer also dependent on freetype?
« Last Edit: 15 September 2010, 09:58:42 by me5 »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 September 2010, 10:32:08 »
:thumbup:  :)

What do you mean by "Install it in the bin directory" I just put it into the bin directory (where the glestadv.exe is) and doubleclicked on it but it won't start. (well it looks like it would try to pop up but then disapears)

Ok, you can also set the datadir in the same way, it might be easier to test it on the command line first, so go Start -> Run and enter 'cmd' then issue the following commands,
> cd "C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\bin\
> glestadv_de -datadir "C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\share\glestae

If that works, create a shortcut and add the '-datadir ....' bit to the target field.

The map editor and g3d viewer do not need freetype, but I think the exe's might be trying to load the dll anyway, because they are linked with the shared lib, which in turn (I think) is causing them to link with freetype... will look into some more...

Timeline | Downloads

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: 15 September 2010, 18:56:15 »
Excellent, you finally got it released! I will try soon, though I gotta download at home... :|

Why is the filesize so big though? Most releases were only a few MB, but this one is a soaring 55MB. Lots of big new images or something?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2010, 19:18:25 »
Why is the filesize so big though? Most releases were only a few MB, but this one is a soaring 55MB. Lots of big new images or something?

Comes with magitech, slightly modified (just guard & patrol commands so far).

The whole data-directory debacle has delayed the upgrade packs, but I'll try to get something together for ya.

Timeline | Downloads

me5

« Reply #33 on: 15 September 2010, 23:15:27 »
The "Developer Edition" is "GAE 0.2.13_DE" is there also a de version of 0.3? ::)

Now I have following runtimes installed: vc++2008, windowsInstaller3.1, .NET3.5 (I guess now I have all runtimes m...soft offers but not the right one :) ) and it still doesn't work. Could it be that GAE uses some extensions of OpenGL version greater then 1.3 and so GAE refuses to start on the old machine (cause it has OpenGL 1.3)? I mean if also the oldest versions of GAE doesn't work it maybe has something to do with the hardware :-\

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 15 September 2010, 23:30:29 »
Well, there is (I am pretty sure), but you just have to compile/make it yourself, since it is not included. But might as well wait for 0.31 or something since 0.3 has some bad issues.
edit:
there is also the Developer edition (binary only, requires installed version)

me5

« Reply #35 on: 16 September 2010, 00:10:32 »
I mean if also the oldest versions of GAE doesn't work...
GAE 0.2.7 and 0.2.11 work but 0.2.12 and newer don't.

@ultifd
If you click on that link you'll get GAE 0.2.13_DE .

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 16 September 2010, 01:28:46 »
OK, then it is just as I said, I guess you need to compile yourself for now if you want it then...

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 September 2010, 05:41:23 »
GAE 0.2.7 and 0.2.11 work but 0.2.12 and newer don't.

Hmm, could you please download this,
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Load it up, then load glestadv.exe into it and then press F7 (or via the menus 'Profile' -> 'Start Profiling...')

Cut the 'bin/' off the end of the 'starting directory' first:

and then hit ok.  Then click in the output section and select all and copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and post the output at pastebin (and post a link to the pastebin page here, of course).

If you click on that link you'll get GAE 0.2.13_DE .

Ooops... how'd that happen... updated.

Timeline | Downloads

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 September 2010, 16:28:40 »
Just a quick update to say that the new windows dev version is working  :thumbup: simply drop it into your glestae 0.3/bin directory and double click  :)

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

me5

« Reply #39 on: 16 September 2010, 16:35:54 »
Here are the outputs:
http://sharetext.org/DPQX (output of not working version)
http://sharetext.org/MNZ5  (output of working version)

Seems like on the working version GAE loads "shimeng.dll" but on the other it does not.
I looked in "C:\windows\system32" and found that one but dunno why it is not loaded.

When I started the "Developer Edition" from the bin directory it worked but I could not highlight cells (tried "hilightCell({30,50})" and "hilightCell{30,50}" I get no error but the cell is not highlighted). So I tried to start the de version over the cmd and adding the "-datadir "C:\Program Files\glestae 0.3\share\glestae" option but it does not work, too (was thinking maybe GAE just can't find the texture).

ChupaReaper

« Reply #40 on: 17 September 2010, 01:03:49 »
Working fine with my mod on win7! I didn't get how it all worked at first and spent a while wondering why glestadv-error.log wasn't updating but turns out it's in users now which is quite good, also managed to get my own shortcuts working using the Start In box.
I love the new GUI and 8 player support its working nice but one problem, it wont pick up .mgm, changing .gbm into .mgm works but it's annoying because the editor that came in the download saves 5-8 player maps with the .mgm extension.

Also both GAE and the editor now can't handle maps bigger than 256x256. (So my mega 512 map crashes the editor and GAE, also the editor crashes when resizing a new map to 512x512).

Also: For new colours, though not too colourful really: Black/Dark Blue, White/Light Cyan, Grey?, Brown, Lime Green, Purple
So you'd need to make Green and Lime Green more distinct, which they quite are, Blue and Near Black Dark Blue is good, Cyan should be darker so near White Cyan could be used this wont clash with yellow, brown or dark red wont clash with red or yellow, purple would have to be dark but not as dark as Dark Blue and it should be distinct from Magenta.
1 Red, 2 Green, 3 Blue, 4 Yellow, 5 Magenta, 6 Cyan, 7 Brown, 8 Lime, 9 Dark Blue (near black), 10 Purple, 11 Light Cyan (near white/ice), 12 Grey (or silver so its not so boring lol)!
Or you could split brown up so you have maroon or blood red and brown, maroon/blue being dark red and brown being a dulled down yellow, these wouldn't clash so much and it solves the grey clashing with cyan and white/light cyan.

Oh one more thing, in the menu.xml there should be options for assigning the new fonts (if there isn't a mod based way to do it already).
« Last Edit: 17 September 2010, 01:58:24 by ChupaReaper »

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 September 2010, 04:56:04 »
Seems like on the working version GAE loads "shimeng.dll" but on the other it does not.
I looked in "C:\windows\system32" and found that one but dunno why it is not loaded.

Second chance exception 0xC000001D (Illegal Instruction) occurred in "GLESTADV.EXE" at address 0x0041DB41.

Exited "GLESTADV.EXE" (process 0xE30) with code -1073741795 (0xC000001D).

Not a dll problem, what CPU does the old machine have? Does it do SSE2 ??
I'll add an explicit check for the next snapshot build.

When I started the "Developer Edition" from the bin directory it worked but I could not highlight cells (tried "hilightCell({30,50})" and "hilightCell{30,50}" I get no error but the cell is not highlighted).

Possibly a bug  :-\  Will look into it...

Working fine with my mod on win7! I didn't get how it all worked at first and spent a while wondering why glestadv-error.log wasn't updating but turns out it's in users now which is quite good, also managed to get my own shortcuts working using the Start In box.

Good to see you're still with us Chupa :)
The transition to PhysFS with separate data and config directories didn't go as smoothly as we'd perhaps have liked, but lessons learnt, 0.3.1 will be a bit smarter about finding the data directory.

I love the new GUI and 8 player support its working nice but one problem, it wont pick up .mgm, changing .gbm into .mgm works but it's annoying because the editor that came in the download saves 5-8 player maps with the .mgm extension.
:confused:
come again? I think you contradicted yourself in there. gbm and mgm should both be seen, just tested it again myself and it worked ... however... where are you putting the new maps ?? Looks like stuff in addons/ must be zipped (and with the correct directory structure for the content, obviously)...

will look into the map size thing, and play with more colours later...

The fonts will ultimately be changeable via data/core/widget.cfg (which is just a lua file) but because of another PhysFS path problem, it currently isn't being loaded (and even if it were, it doesn't look for any fonts, yet)

Timeline | Downloads

me5

« Reply #42 on: 17 September 2010, 12:34:16 »
Not a dll problem, what CPU does the old machine have? Does it do SSE2 ??
I'll add an explicit check for the next snapshot build.

Here is what lshw tells (I have ubuntu10.04 and XP on the old machine):

*-cpu
          product: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
          vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
          physical id: 1
          bus info: cpu@0
          version: 6.10.0
          size: 1837MHz
          capacity: 1837MHz
          width: 32 bits
          capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up cpufreq
        *-cache:0
             description: L1 cache
             physical id: 0
             size: 128KiB
        *-cache:1
             description: L2 cache
             physical id: 1
             size: 512KiB

So I guess it has only sse1 ?

Yggdrasil

• Local Moderator
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 September 2010, 12:43:03 »
Yep, and that's the problem. We have some manually SSE2 instructions in our code and no workaround in plain C++. So, it won't run on your hardware, if we don't make some changes in the code. Do you really want to use that machine?

addons: No, it does not need to be a zip file. You can also have it in its own folder.

sagi456

« Reply #44 on: 17 September 2010, 13:02:32 »
For my first post I'd like to say that although I have only recently downloaded glest/Megaglest/GAE I'm already loving it! great job!!

I would also like to report a possible bug:
While playing in GAE 0.3, for some reason "save game" only works when I start a new game. It doesn't work while playing in scenarios (pressing the "z" key apparently does nothing).

me5

« Reply #45 on: 17 September 2010, 13:05:40 »
Yep, and that's the problem. We have some manually SSE2 instructions in our code and no workaround in plain C++. So, it won't run on your hardware, if we don't make some changes in the code. Do you really want to use that machine?

Not really I just use this machine for surfing and testing things which would probably crash my working XP.
btw. how to get from the exception-error to SSE2? Or is the code (-1073741795) telling you that the error is caused by not having SSE2?

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 September 2010, 15:27:47 »
For my first post I'd like to say that although I have only recently downloaded glest/Megaglest/GAE I'm already loving it! great job!!
Thanks :) The original Glest team did an awesome job and deserve all of the plaudits, GAE and MG have a long way to go to reach their level of achievement.

While playing in GAE 0.3, for some reason "save game" only works when I start a new game. It doesn't work while playing in scenarios (pressing the "z" key apparently does nothing).

Yeah, that's Ticket #12

You can't save scenarios yet, sorry...

Not entirely true, the old interpolation code is still there and usable... but SSE2 was set in the 'code generation' section of the vc project settings, so it might be adding its own check, as me5's depends log seems to indicate.

@me5: You could try, open glestadv.ini and set RenderInterpolateWithSIMD=false
..but I think the compiler may have inserted its own check.

Let us know, I'm happy to build a binary without any sse2 requirements.

btw. how to get from the exception-error to SSE2? Or is the code (-1073741795) telling you that the error is caused by not having SSE2?

Second chance exception 0xC000001D (Illegal Instruction)

The new interpolation code is the only thing that uses any of the 'enhanced instruction sets', so it was the obvious candidate for an 'Illegal Instruction' exception, besides code corruption, which is extremely unlikely ;)

Timeline | Downloads

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 17 September 2010, 22:12:19 »
Yeah, that's Ticket #12
You can't save scenarios yet, sorry...
Oh...I thought you fixed the "problem" (problem was all the resources got loaded up again right?)oh well, a small problem I guess.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 September 2010, 23:41:39 »
Are the viewer and the editor supposed to be packaged with the installer?  I've got the icons in my app menu and all, but they don't actually run anything and a search turns up nothing. :look: Bug, feature, or oversight?

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 September 2010, 01:40:13 »
Oh...I thought you fixed the "problem" (problem was all the resources got loaded up again right?)oh well, a small problem I guess.

No, that was just a regular save-game failure, nothing to do with scenarios...

Are the viewer and the editor supposed to be packaged with the installer?  I've got the icons in my app menu and all, but they don't actually run anything and a search turns up nothing. :look: Bug, feature, or oversight?

Errr, they should be there... filenames will be 'gae_mapeditor' and 'gae_g3dviewer', on Ubuntu they should be located in /usr/bin .. if they aren't working from the apps menu, try running them from the command line, to see if we get some useful output....

Timeline | Downloads