Author Topic: BUG: v0.3 Faction Clash? 2D Mipmap Error  (Read 1316 times)

ChupaReaper

BUG: v0.3 Faction Clash? 2D Mipmap Error
« on: 19 September 2010, 16:08:09 »
Both factions in my mod Necribus and Hyperion work work fine, but if they're both loaded (at least one player is a different faction) GAE crashes.
I get this when it crashes: "Error building texture 2D mipmaps."
(click to show/hide)

So far I haven't been able to trace the bug down to anything specific yet, I can also confirm that these factions both worked fine in the GAE version prior to v0.3 (I think it was v0.2.1, bad memory lol). I haven't added anything new to either factions since updating GAE (so this has nothing to do with some of the new features, at least I think).
« Last Edit: 19 September 2010, 16:09:42 by ChupaReaper »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: BUG: v0.3 Faction Clash? 2D Mipmap Error
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2010, 17:47:20 »
Both factions in my mod Necribus and Hyperion work work fine, but if they're both loaded (at least one player is a different faction) GAE crashes.
I get this when it crashes: "Error building texture 2D mipmaps."
(click to show/hide)

So far I haven't been able to trace the bug down to anything specific yet, I can also confirm that these factions both worked fine in the GAE version prior to v0.3 (I think it was v0.2.1, bad memory lol). I haven't added anything new to either factions since updating GAE (so this has nothing to do with some of the new features, at least I think).
That's the exact error I got when trying your mod on the old version (0.2.13). Therefore, it's probably not something new to 0.3.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ChupaReaper

« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2010, 14:26:22 »
That's strange then, the pack I released only had one of my factions in it which I can get working fine on its own, it's just when I load both factions.
I'll have to look right into things to see if I can track down where this bug is coming from...
My second faction has so units with the same name just remodels or retextures stuff like Huts, Houses, etc which all factions will have, maybe there's some problem there, but that wouldn't explain why you got that bug with only one of my factions, unless I had some duplicate stuff, but then again how come it worked for me...?

Edit: I loaded up the game and started a new game with faction 1 Necribus, it ran fine. I quit the game back to the menu and started another new game with faction 2 Hyperion, it ran fine (not much to do with this faction at the minute though as there's only a few things in it but it loads up in game fine).
So both factions worked fine. I quit the second game returning to the menu again, now starting up a third game a set some of the opponents as faction 1 Necribus while I and another opponent was faction 2 Hyperion and the game loaded looking ok but at the last step of Initializing it just closed down, no error message at all this time. The crash log isn't updated.

I'm gonna mess about with stuff now to see if I can find anything.

Edit: Ok so I changed the name of every unit so there are no units in both factions with identical names, the game still closed immediately. Next I did the same to the upgrades, nothing changed. Now strangely when I renamed all the particle images (which were the same between factions) I now get the 2D mip map error.
Before I look into it more will having GUI buttons with the same names between factions effect anything or am I looking in the wrong places?
« Last Edit: 20 September 2010, 14:59:20 by ChupaReaper »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2010, 21:42:21 »
That's strange then, the pack I released only had one of my factions in it which I can get working fine on its own, it's just when I load both factions.
I'll have to look right into things to see if I can track down where this bug is coming from...
My second faction has so units with the same name just remodels or retextures stuff like Huts, Houses, etc which all factions will have, maybe there's some problem there, but that wouldn't explain why you got that bug with only one of my factions, unless I had some duplicate stuff, but then again how come it worked for me...?

Edit: I loaded up the game and started a new game with faction 1 Necribus, it ran fine. I quit the game back to the menu and started another new game with faction 2 Hyperion, it ran fine (not much to do with this faction at the minute though as there's only a few things in it but it loads up in game fine).
So both factions worked fine. I quit the second game returning to the menu again, now starting up a third game a set some of the opponents as faction 1 Necribus while I and another opponent was faction 2 Hyperion and the game loaded looking ok but at the last step of Initializing it just closed down, no error message at all this time. The crash log isn't updated.

I'm gonna mess about with stuff now to see if I can find anything.

Edit: Ok so I changed the name of every unit so there are no units in both factions with identical names, the game still closed immediately. Next I did the same to the upgrades, nothing changed. Now strangely when I renamed all the particle images (which were the same between factions) I now get the 2D mip map error.
Before I look into it more will having GUI buttons with the same names between factions effect anything or am I looking in the wrong places?
It should have nothing to do with duplicate names. The megapack has a lot of those. Mipmaps is a graphical thing, so my best guess is that the faction's together are overloading the game (after all, that's a lot of units with very very big models and images).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2010, 21:56:32 »
I've gotten similar errors when messing with add-ons, but the error log isn't always completely accurate in my experience.  You could be missing a texture or icon somewhere, or maybe an icon isn't a 24-bit bmp.  Sometimes when I change something in an add-on, the next time I run GAE, it will crash, but then I run it again a minute later and it works fine after that.

ChupaReaper

« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2010, 09:52:07 »
It's probably the game being overloaded then. Both factions load fine on their own so there's no problems with any of the icons or textures they must just be overloading GAE.
How can I fix this, should I further reduce the textures size (some of the big units still have 512x512 textures at least)?
If two or more units share the same textures (such as Gatehouses open, closed, etc) will that help overloading?

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2010, 10:12:21 »
Do you have it in a zip in your addons folder, or uncompressed in the core data?  Whichever you have, try the opposite.  Other than that, I've no idea.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2010, 12:03:32 »
I've added a call to gluErrorString() on that error, will get another snapshot build up within a day or two, which should give us some better diagnostics. (I don't get it with just Necribus, I tried copying Necribus and loading a game with necribus and necribus2, but I just got bad allocation errors...)

Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

ChupaReaper

« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2010, 21:01:26 »
Ok, I hope this gets fixed, if there's a limitation I'm breaking or something then it'll be a bit annoying as I've only made less than 20% of my whole project so far lol.

anything